• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. mixwhit

Rust Repair/Leave/? Question

'03 Ranger. Lives in the midwest. I've had it for about 9 years. Put a reman engine in it about 5 years ago. Has been pretty good to me, though the transmission occasionally glitches. Anyway, I've got rust starting to look pretty bad over rear right wheel, and a bit of rust on the gas spout...
  2. mixwhit

What is "regulator arms in fixed position"?

About to change out a power window motor on my '03. Shop manual says the following: "Prior to the power window motor removal, ensure the regular arms are in a fixed position to prevent counterbalance spring unwind. Failure to place the regular arms in a fixed position can cause the spring to...
  3. mixwhit

Permanent fix for seizing window motor?

A couple years ago my power window motor (driver's side) got stuck. I removed the door panel and jumped the motor directly from the battery. The motor fired right up, and after that, worked as expected for 2 years. A week ago it seized again, so I jumped it. Same thing: it worked on the jump...
  4. mixwhit

best shocks for minimizing jolts in the cab?

'03 2WD ext cab 4.0L. i'm dealing with long-term back pain and every bump in the road is a jolt of pain. i'm wondering if there's a shock replacement I could get that would soften the worst bumps? any suggestions? thx
  5. mixwhit

clunking sounds in suspension -- ball joints?

'03 4.0L, AT, ext cab, 2WD, 175k miles For a while now I've been hearing some clunking sounds from underneath, presumably suspension related. It's getting worse (e.g. louder, more frequent). I hear them most when I hit a bump, or something else that bounces the truck a bit. But not every...
  6. mixwhit

5R55E wouldn't shift today

got in the truck ('03 4.0L 2WD) about noon (first time in it for the day), started up, and it wouldn't shift. i moved the lever to R, heard a bit of a normalish noise, but it was like i was stuck in neutral. tried it a few times, including D, maybe also 1, got out, looked to make sure nobody...
  7. mixwhit

Worth it to replace engine?

In a previous thread I was looking for input on an engine noise. Consensus is that it's the timing chain guides and the the chain will go soon. While I've done my own wrenching in the past I'm not able to do something like a repair or swap at this scale. So my options are: 1) have someone...
  8. mixwhit

bad tapping/clicking ... mechanic says not worth it

My beloved 4.0L w/ 175k miles has developed a loud ticking sound. Well, actually I first noticed it a couple years ago, but back then it wasn't as loud. Here's a video of what it was like back then: QyVEfqCKTLc At the time I thought it might be an exhaust leak. It seemed to get better as...
  9. mixwhit

stiff accelerator pedal

I tend to drive my truck like I stole it. But today I gave the throttle pedal a little extra push and realized I haven't been pushing it all the way. There was more there. However, it takes a lot of force to push it that far. Is there any way to loosen it up and make it easier to push? Do I...
  10. mixwhit

How to Remove Right Side Spark Plugs on 4.0L SOHC?

How the heck do you remove the spark plugs on the right side of the 4.0L SOHC engine? The frontmost one looks like I could probably do it with an extension and a swivel socket. But the rear two look practically impossible. Further complicating matters is that I want to remove them with the...
  11. mixwhit

Step By Step Guide for Replacing Lower Thermostat Housing

I have written up a guide called How to Replace the Upper and Lower Thermostat Housing on a Ford 4.0L V6 SOHC Engine. It is a detailed step by step walk through, including lots of photos. Perhaps too detailed for some of you, but helpful for those who haven't done as much of their own...
  12. mixwhit

shop manual and/or alldatadiy worth it?

I'm surprised I can't find full exploded parts diagrams for free online. I'm used to motorcycles, where I could get all that info no problem. But regardless, I'm wondering what the best source of that info is. How is the shop manual? I'm guessing it's pricey. Does it include full parts...
  13. mixwhit

coolant leak?

I changed out the brake pads this eve and took it for a drive to bed. When I got home I noticed a smell that might have been coolant. I popped the hood and found some white residue in a splatter pattern on the left side of the engine. It looks like it's coming from the area of the intake...
  14. mixwhit

right wheel spins easily, left wheel not so much

I heard a weird noise from the front end the other day and have also felt some pulsing in the brakes at the end of a stop. So today I pulled the wheels off to take a look. Brakes are fine. Plenty of pad. 1/4" at least. But when I was putting the wheels back on I noticed that while the front...
  15. mixwhit

leakdown tester question

Does a leakdown tester also measure cylinder pressure (like a compression tester), or does it just give you a relative value to compare against other cylinders? Also, has anyone used the Harbor Freight $30 tester?
  16. mixwhit

oil questions: high mileage oil, how often to change?

I have an '03 4.0L SOHC with 160k miles. Last oil change I decided to try the high mileage oil (Valvoline). Is there any reason I can't go back to a normal oil? I read online somewhere that once you start using a high mileage oil you're stuck using it forever. I wasn't having any specific...
  17. mixwhit

Performance enhancements best bang for buck?

I've got an '03 2WD ext. cab with the 4.0L SOHC. Stock w/ 160k miles. I'd like to improve the performance and am wondering what the best bang for the buck would be. This is my daily driver so I can't take it out of commission for long. The X-charger supercharger looks like an awesome mod...
  18. mixwhit

lower on one side

I pulled the sandbags out of my bed today and noticed that the truck is sitting lower on the driver's side. Maybe 1/2 - 3/4". Any ideas? Something to worry about? I think it was probably like this before but maybe today is the first day in a while I've taken a close look. It's an '03 4.0L...
  19. mixwhit

Occasional wierd auto trans shift after fluid change

I changed the transmission fluid and filter a couple days ago. It seemed to go fine, but I found the dipstick check to be a bit confusing (see this thread for details). Basically I think I have it right. But since the change I have noticed two strange transmission events. Both were the same...
  20. mixwhit

checking the dipstick

Ok, complete newbie question. '03 Ranger w/ the 4.0L and auto trans. I just changed the transmission fluid and filter for the first time. Everything went fine (although getting that heat shield clipped back in place was a pain). I put 3 qts in as the Haynes said I should, and then as I...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad