• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Gear Oil Weight?

Search did not succeed. I have some Valvoline 75w-90 full synthetic gear oil with slip aditive. Manual calls for 80w-90 in differential, but lots of talk about the 75w-90 being perfectly OK. I have 7.5 gears. Any knowledgeable advise? Thanks
  2. Parasitic Drain Issue?

Trying to understand my low voltage reading on my battery after sitting - 12.32v. Bad battery or parasitic drain - not sure. Always starts strong but it's North Carolina weather. I did some research here on past threads but want to clear up some points. Does this truck have a battery saver...
  3. Small Coolant Leak

Did the front cover several thousand miles ago and now it's developed a weep leak on the passenger side of the cover. I can go many miles with little drop in reservoir level so for now just topping up once in a while. I tried a little added torque to the two bolts on that side but it did not...
  4. Leak Test Failed?

Testing a new (cheap) OBDII code reader. Got this reader as a fast way to get codes and see some generic parameters. I have a PC based scanner, but it's bulky and cumbersome to hook up and if I want to do a quick check on a vehicle all I need is a simple reader. Anyway, going through the data...
  5. Ground Locations?

Need to clean my grounds. Got the ground strap from rear of engine to firewall and the battery to engine ground as well as battery to body ground. Probably a couple more body grounds like PCM, trans, etc. My FSM and Haynes do not give a locations page. Anyone have a locations page to either...
  6. O2 Heater Circuit?

As below: 2003 3.0L Need to know if the heater circuit (keyed on) stays on after engine gets warm or does the PCM turn off the heater. I have used the fuse for this circuit and an Add-a-Circuit tap to power my electric fan. Thanks.
  7. Electric Fan Install

So I'm the guy who couldn't see the use in replacing the clutch fan - until now. I did this because I could not get the engine to heat up to 195* temp and the long time (especially in winter) to get to temp after starting. I've had a couple of stats in but no change. I have both an aftermarket...
  8. Ford ODBII Theory & Operation

Found the above link which may have already been referred to. It can be a useful tool trying to understand DTCs and how the OBDII system activates them. A lot of technical stuff if you can understand, but maybe useful. Enjoy: here
  9. Gates Hose Part Number Warning

I've spent two days trying to get Gates and RockAuto to make right an error in their upper rad hose part number. I ordered an upper and lower rad hose for the truck in my sig, 2003 Ranger 3.0L XL. The upper hose was the wrong hose and would not fit. Double checking the part number from RockAuto...
  10. Re-Install Harmonic Balancer?

Getting close to front cover/water pump re-install. Getting the harmonic balancer on seems to require a tool - what doesn't. Is there any reason I can't just use the center bolt to re-install as long as I can get enough starter threads engaged?
  11. Suspending Power Steering Pump

Still doing my front cover/water pump replacement. Needed a way to get the power steering bracket out of the way for access to the water pump bolts and easier install of front cover assembly. You can leave the A/C compressor attached to the power steering pump bracket. See picture, it works...
  12. Water Pump Bolt Source?

Still into getting this water pump/front cover installed. I thought I might like to replace 3 of the water pump bolts (N811375-S101) due to corrosion rather than clean them up. Seems no one but Ford carries these bolts. That might be OK until you hear what the dealer wants for them. Local...
  13. Removing Front Cover

I discovered a coolant leak (at only 82K) and at first assumed it was the water pump (WP) gasket. Now after the WP has been removed it is possible the leak is the front cover (FC) gasket. I do not want to do all the work on the WP then find it has to be redone to fix the FC gasket. Looking at...
  14. Mystery Plug?

I have an unused wire connector with 4 pins plugged into a plastic holder in the back of the radio bezel, passenger side, just below the round accessory plug (cell phone charge, etc.). Nothing in my owner's manual, and internet has various possibilities but nothing specific for my truck...
  15. Camshaft Syncro Install Videos

Found these excellent videos (1&2) on installing the camshaft synchronizer. Simple explanation with good pictures. #1 http://realfixesrealfast.com/realfixesrealfast.com/Tricks_%26_shortcut_videos/Pages/Ford_Cam_Sychronizer.html #2...
  16. Purge Valve

Replaced my canister purge valve today as I found the normally closed valve was leaking internally (if only slightly) between the canister hose and intake hose connections. The new valve was tested and held vacuum. No DTC was tripped and I found the leak because I was trying to trace negative...
  17. Rear Brake Bleeder Screw?

Just finished my yearly brake fluid change. Again I struggled with the rear bleeder screws. Ford made these too short to clear the wheel cylinder bolt heads properly with a standard wrench. I have had to make a custom bend to my 3/8 brake line wrench to give me clearance to turn the screw and...
  18. PCV Valve?

Been doing injector work and replaced the valve cover gaskets. With the intake off I found a fair amount of oil film inside the intake. I noticed this a while ago and installed a catch can but this did nothing and I have removed it. I really can't have any excessive blow-by as the compression...
  19. Injector Coil Resistance?

Have removed my injectors to be sent out for test/clean/retest. Ford manual specs coil resistance of 11.4 - 12.6 Ohms Measured coil resistance. Five injectors measured 12.5 Ohm, one measured 13.0 Ohm. Haynes manual states resistance S/B 12 - 16 Ohms. Should I replace the one injector that...
  20. Valve Cover Gasket/Grommets

Thought while I'm removing the intake manifold to send out my injectors for cleaning I might as well replace the valve cover gasket(s). Fel-Pro lists the gasket as well as a grommet set of eight. My FSM does not reference any grommets in the valve cover section. Can someone tell me what these...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad