• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. gordo

2.3L Magnaflow exhaust "drone", eliminated

The original muffler on my 2008 2.3L XLT, Extended cab, 5 spd developed a rust-hole in the bottom/rear. So I put a Magnaflow (stainless muffler) cat back system on to replace it. The system is neat sounding BUT the "highway drone" at 2000-300 RPM, and going up hills, got very annoying! I'd read...
  2. gordo

2.3L exhaust droan and vibration

Duratech engines vs. Lima I had the old Lima 2.3 in my '93 Ranger - which I gave to my son and it still runs like the proverbial "top". Having had both, I find the Duratech to be a smoother, higher reving, and definetly a more powerfull engine in comparison. I think they went to the Duratech...
  3. gordo

2.3L exhaust droan and vibration

Has your 2.3L done this from day-one? I have a 2008 2.3L . Just recently I've noticed a droaning/vibration that seems exhaust related just going through 2000 RPM. If you hold the RPM at 2000 or once the RPMs go through 2000, it's gone. It almost sounds/feels like what my '93 did when I had a...
  4. gordo

Gas tank and mpg questions, new to me used 2006, bear with me.

Summer and Winter MPG extremes I have a 2008 XLT, Extended cab w 2wd, 5 speed and 4.10 gears. During the summer of "08 I averaged 27 MPG with some highway but more city driving (i.e. not running in 5th - OD). During the winter I run (4) snow tires (same size as summer tires) and carry (4) 60...
  5. gordo

Snow? What snow?

I live in Maine and as I was thinking about retiring, I was trying to figure out what I really wanted to drive. I decided to ditch my 2008 Grand Caravan, give my '93 Ranger to my younger son and order a brand-new XLT. I did and I love it. I find that the 2.3L, 2 wd, extended cab with 4:10...
  6. gordo

P0108 code

Look for a vacuum leak! That code concerns the reading from your MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor. P0108 says it's too high. Because your intake is under a vacuum, which is negative pressure, that reading indicates that you are losing vacuum. (i.e., high reading means low vacuum) Of...
  7. gordo

2008 4cyl 5spd wont return to idle

Filter media What I used was from a Shop-Vac (Wet -Dry vac). Inside there is the sponge-rubber filter sleeve for Wet-Vac. Then, for Dry-Vac you add a big vacuum cleaner bag and a blue/gray filter-cloth that goes over the sponge rubber sleeve. I used a piece of that blue/gray filter-cloth...
  8. gordo

I am trying sumtin new ! Does your ECU do the emissions check? When you just turn the key, "ON" but not start the engine, and the "Check Engine Light" flashes after about 10 seconds, it ain't doing the tests. It should not flash. If it does, you'll flunk inspections. I made a "blank gasket"...
  9. gordo

My 2008 XLT 5M doesn't like the restrictor plate! I tried restrictor plates with holes ranging from 5/32" to 9/32". The 5/32 thru 7/32" holes caused a "check engine light" after driving a few miles. The 1/4" and 9/32" holes didn't cause a "Check Engine Light"... However, the computer was never...
  10. gordo

mpggggg

Snorkel measurements The "snorkel" (Part # XL2U-9A675-AA) measures 1.793" ID on the inlet and 2.301" ID on the outlet (air-box side). So, it's 2.52 sq-in inlet and 4.15 sq-in outlet. That's 36% less area at the inlet of that snorkel. That will restrict the air-flow. This is a 2008 and has an...
  11. gordo

mpggggg

Measure the inlet "snorkel" ! I was reading this thread and I think you may be overlooking a real issue with intake air restriction. That "snorkel" that comes from behind the headlight on my '08 XLT is tiny. There is also a rubber deflector flap that's out behind the headlight bucket - probably...
  12. gordo

3.73 or 4.10 rears?

Ex-cab with 4.10 gears I have a 2008 XLT, 5 Spd-M, extended cab. Just went from Maine to Maryland Eastern Shore. First fill-up was strictly Highway driving and got 32.3 MPG. I use cruise control set a 2750 RPM which is about 70 MPH. There were no real traffic jams, etc. Drove "around town" in...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad