• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. '97 Ranger 2.3L - No Spark

I don't drive the thing much, but the last few months every few times I went to start it, it would crank but not start. I'd let it sit for a few hours, and it would then start. Finally, last week it won't start at all. I'm sure I have fuel. Pulled a plug on the driver's side (dual spark), and...
  2. Parking Brake Lever Location

I replaced all of the parking brake cables on my '97 w/ 9" drums. Replacing the cables was easy, but I made one cardinal sin: I removed all the drum hardware from both sides at the same time, and didn't take a picture. Now I'm having trouble figuring out how the parking brake lever sits inside...
  3. Fuel Vapor Return Tube

The fuel vapor return tube going from the charcoal canister to behind the engine (apparently) was broken when I bought my '97 2.3L. I have searched and searched, and can't tell where it actually goes behind the engine (it was broken way down by the canister). Does anyone have a pic or can...
  4. "Proper" Hardware for Manifold to Cat Pipe?

I put on a Walker replacement exhaust on my '97 2.3L last year, and have now developed a leak where the existing manifold meets the new cat downpipe. I did NOT use the "spring" type bolts when bolting this together last time, and am wondering if that's why it's "separated", because there was no...
  5. Engine Stalls When Cold After Revving

Hey guys, hoping someone can help: '97 Ranger 2.3L that I bought a few months ago as a Home Depot/dump-run truck. The issue that I'm having is that before the engine has a chance to warm up, it will stall out after I rev it. So it starts fine, and will happily idle forever. But as soon as I...
  6. '97 2WD Ball Joint Replacement?

I've got a '97 2WD I-beam coil spring Ranger. Need to do upper/lower ball joints. I watched a half-dozen videos, read a bunch of DIYs...and none of them seem to apply to my '97. Because it's a '97 (NOT a '98 or later), the upper ball joints CAN be replaced without the control arms. I have the...
  7. Exhaust Collector Stud Orientation

This is a really basic question, but I want to be sure to get this right the first time: My '97 2.3L needs a new exhaust. I bought a shiny new Dynomax cat-back system and a Walker downpipe/cat. I pulled the rusted old system off last weekend, so am almost...
  8. Dome Light Stuck On No Matter Switch Position

I searched and read all of the threads about the switch on the door latch getting gunked up and sticking open, leading to the dome light staying on, and the WD40 fix for it. However, my dome light stays on no matter which of the three positions the switch on the light is in: Off/On/Door. Also, I...
  9. Help Me Save a Ranger

I've been missing having a Ranger as my Home Depot/dump run/back-up vehicle since my last one died three years ago, so I'm looking for another. Found what I *think* is a good candidate, but could use some advice on what I found in my once-over I did on it today. It's a '97 2WD XLT step side...
  10. Coolant Leak Between Block/Timing Belt Cover

I have a coolant leak on my '95 4.0L that I was stuggling to pinpoint. Thought it was the coolant pump, but replaced that with no luck. I finally had it towed to a my local shop who pressure tested it. He says the leak is between the block and timing belt cover, but to even get to it to find out...
  11. Coolant Leak

My '95 4.0 is no longer my daily driver, but when I made I Home Depot run the other day I pulled back into the driveway to coolant pissing out of the engine bay onto the ground. It only leaks when running, otherwise dry as a bone. I can't figure out exactly what it is I'm looking at here or...
  12. Bleeding Cooling System?

Replaced my leaking T-stat yesterday on my '95 4.0L. Drained all of the coolant and replaced with new. Now, the engine is overheating and the heat is blowing cold. I assume there's some air in the lines, but I can't find a bleed valve or anything. What's the best way to bleed the air? Thanks!
  13. Drivebelt Tensioner Junk?

Noticed my drivebelt on my '95 4.0 (non-AC if it matters) was looking pretty cracked, so I went to replace it. While getting ready to put the new one on, I thought the tensioner looked funny: the upper mount part was sort of "angled". Initially, I was thinking that the part I show here in the...
  14. Drum Brake Pic?

Just wanted to make sure I have the adjusting cable routed correctly. Anyone have a pic of the rear brakes with the actual drum removed that shows how everything hooks up? I asked about this a few months ago and got a great pic, but my old account (and the post) seems to have disappeared???
  15. Help Needed: Auto to Manual Hubs

I picked up a set of the Superwinch hubs with the conversion kit to replace my failing auto hubs ('95 Ranger). The conversion kit includes two "lock nuts". I use the quotes, because they have no profile to them, they are simply round with four notches on the outside every 90 degrees. They want...
  16. 4WD Control Module Location

I've been working through the 4WD diagnostics to figure out why my 4WD is not working on my '95 Ranger (no Hi or Lo). I followed the Chilton manual and pulled what I believe is the 4WD control module from behind the radio (the manual called it the GEM). It does not have the push button or LED is...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad