• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. kenwheeler

Do I have a bad trans?

94 3.0 ext cab 4x4. It was hard to get into gear. Thought it was the clutch/slave. Got it into 2nd and 3rd, enough to get it home. When we dropped the trans, the clutch didn't seem that bad. Worn but not excessively or down to the rivets. When I drained the trans fluid it was real thick...
  2. kenwheeler

bad trans signs?

I replaced the clutch/pressure plate/throw out/slave (twice)/master cylinder/hydraulic line and ran about 6 quarts of brake fluid through a 94 4x4 with a 3.0. Still can't get any pedal. Or I might be getting the right amount of pedal just don't know it because it won't go into gear, even while...
  3. kenwheeler

Air while bleeding

I dropped the trans to replace the clutch. New slave while it was apart. Couldn't seem to get any clutch pedal. Took the master out and bench bled it. No air bubbles in the reservoir and the rod couldn't be pushed in. Still too much air. Dropped the trans and replaced the slave again. I'm...
  4. kenwheeler

Prefab clutch line

Has anyone ever made a hydraulic clutch line? Sure would like to be able to route a line the way I want to route it instead of using the factory bent solid line. I'd also like to use a quick connect from an old slave cylinder and attach it to the master cylinder. It'll make removing and...
  5. kenwheeler

new slave lots of air

Can a new slave leak air? After bench bleeding the master and checking for leaks, I'm still getting lots of air from the bleeder. Just how much air should come out? It seems really constant, but it's a brand new slave.
  6. kenwheeler

slave leaking, I think

Dropped the trans and replaced everything. Can't seem to get the air to stop flowing while bleeding. I removed the master and turned it every which way I could, got the air out, put it it back in and again watched the air bubbles flowing from the bleeder valve into the catch jar. I can...
  7. kenwheeler

Slave cylinder mod

I'm OK with the FM145 in my 87. But after replacing the clutch in my son's 94, I was extremely happy with the ease of the "Quick Disconnect". After getting the correct slave because the parts guy screwed up and I failed to test the connection before installing the trans. I've had the trans out...
  8. kenwheeler

Taking out a field engine

The other day I noticed my dipstick oil level has risen 10 fold and turned a yucky chocolate milk color. Head or headgasket, either way the motor is coming out. I have another 2.9 in a Bronco2 at my Brothers farm that ran good before the tranny went out. I was going to have the donor heads...
  9. kenwheeler

Air in the master

After the weekend clutch work I put my son in charge of bleeding it while I went to work. He called later to say that after pumping and pumping, he couldn't get any pedal. Opps, forgot to tell him you don't bleed them like brakes. I'm guessing air in the master, is that correct? To fix it, I...
  10. kenwheeler

Quick Disconnect issue

Dropped the trans to install a freeze plug in the head. Replaced slave while it was down. Now I can't get the line back in the new slave. 94 4x4 5speed 3.0. The fluid line fitting isorange and the coupling on the old slave was also orange and coupled with tiny fingers. The new slave has a...
  11. kenwheeler

stripped bolt

I can find any other posts but I can't believe this is a first. Trying to drop the transfer on my son's 94. All the bolts were extremely hard to break free but the bottom one. That bolt is now rounded and I can't break it loose. I tried wd40, lockjaws, heat and thats as far as we got. Bolts...
  12. kenwheeler

oil pan leak

My son's '94 3.0 4x4 is leaking oil from the front of the pan. I can see part of the gasket has worked its way out. From what I've read here, this will require some major stuff to replace, most posts suggest removing the entire engine and I read one post where the driver dropped the front axle...
  13. kenwheeler

2.9 - 3.0 swap

I can get a free 2.9 from my brothers 87 Bronco if I want it. Ran great before the trans went. Will it fit my son's 95 Ranger with a 3.0 5 speed? I'd like to get it and clean it up, keep it for a spare. But I can't see keeping it around just to sell it later.
  14. kenwheeler

Fm145

The FM145 from my 87 Ext cab 4x4 with a 2.9 motor went bad. Input shaft bearings I think. Replaced the trans but I'd like to rebuild the trans for a spare, father/son project. Is it savable? Can this thing be brought back to life?
  15. kenwheeler

Trans rebuild

I have an old FM145 laying around the garage. Input shaft bearing went bad. My son wants to document a maintenance task for his senior school project. On a scale of 5 my mech skills are probably a 2-3. Any chance the trans can be rebuilt in my garage? Wouldn't mind having the extra trans, the...
  16. kenwheeler

A Big Thanks

After 4 months on jackstands ( I can only work on it on Saturdays and drinking takes precedence over garage stuff), 6 transmission drops, a completly new hydralic system (master to flywheel), a new (used) trans, alot of swearing and beer drinking, and a bunch of good advice from this forum. My...
  17. kenwheeler

slave cylinder release bearing

I picked up a new slave cylinder from Advance Auto today. The release bearing (I think thats what its called) the shiney metal donut that touches the pressure plate fingers is seperated from the plastic thats in the spring thats attached to the slave. Is that ok? Should I just line it up and...
  18. kenwheeler

Accessory fuse box

I'm building a console to hold my additional light switches, CB, extra gauges, etc. I want run a power supply to a separate fusebox inside (easier access to connections) the new console. Can I run my hot wire directly from the battery?
  19. kenwheeler

Slave cylinder fabrication

Anyone that's ever performed the task of connecting the fluid line to the slave cylinder on the 87 style truck knows what a PITA it is. It's a hard preformed line with no give and the nipple has to go in the tiny hole just right so you can get the pin in. The newer style has the quick disconnect...
  20. kenwheeler

Slave cylinder line installation

What's the correct way to install the fluid line into the 87 slave cylinder? Put the little black gasket in the hole and try to push the fluid line nipple into the hole OR put the little black gasket on the nipple and then try to push both of them into the cylinder hole.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad