• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. stmitch

Looking for guidance on UIM and LIM removal/gasket replacement.

Intake Manifold gaskets are rarely a failure point on the Vulcan 3.0, and the deeper you get, the more issues you can create when reinstalling. I probably wouldn't bother with new gaskets if there is no active reason they need replacement. But if you have your heart set on it... The 98+...
  2. stmitch

1st generation Rangers considered classic/vintage?

1999's are eligible for "Antique" plates in my state
  3. stmitch

Do larger throttle bodies really work?

No, what I'm saying is that any cam difference between Ranger Vulcan and Taurus Vulcan isn't the driver of throttle body size, because the Vulcan gets the same size throttle body whether it's in a Ranger or a Taurus. On a naturally aspirated engine, the throttle body size is determined by the...
  4. stmitch

Do larger throttle bodies really work?

The 60mm throttle bodies used on the Taurus and Escape came on the 3.0L DURATEC engine. It was DOHC, and was able to move a lot more air, particularly at higher rpm. The Duratec shared nothing at all with the pushrod Vulcan 3.0L. The Taurus got both the Duratec and the Vulcan 3.0, and I'm...
  5. stmitch

3.0 Crankshaft Snout Diameter?

If you don't get any takers with this approach, you could always try to find a balancer at a junkyard or parts store and measure the ID of the center bore too.
  6. stmitch

MS-RT Ranger

5.0 F150 with a 3L Whipple on top, rear drop and some cosmetic stuff. It's all one part # from Ford Racing (dealer installed, includes a warranty) https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-F150-FP700B
  7. stmitch

MS-RT Ranger

8. stmitch

99 Explorer panels into 99 Ranger

Everything is different between the two. People have put Explorer parts onto Rangers, but it requires cutting/welding the front of the Explorer fenders onto the Ranger fenders, and then finding a way to safely mount the Explorer hood onto the Ranger (different hinge designs)...
  9. stmitch

Found these for 2.3 duratec to T5

TKO/TKX have a different bellhousing bolt pattern than the T5 sadly. If you want a Duratec/Ecoboost to TKO/TKX, Quicktime offers one: https://www.tickperformance.com/quick-time-bellhousing-ford-2-0-2-3-ecoboost-with-ford-tkx-tko-part-rm-8090/
  10. stmitch

A True Sports Truck

Bronco shares a lot with the current gen Ranger, which was designed from the start overseas and only brought to the US as an afterthought. Fitting a Coyote is probably not something that was ever envisioned when the platform was engineered. As it stands, Bronco gets some fairly burly...
  11. stmitch

Cylinder Head Compatibility

There are technically 2 cylinder head designs for Vulcans around 98-01. One being Flex Fuel (with kidney shaped combustion chambers) and the gasoline heads with more oval combustion chambers. Ford eventually realized the different chamber design wasn't needed and did away with the Flex Fuel...
  12. stmitch

Lets play another round of "Why won't my truck start?!"

Yeah, it's more modified than most 3.0's. Most of the modded 3.0's that try to upgrade their ignition end up switching back to the Ford/Motorcraft stuff because it's really robust and just works. There's only 1 coil pack on the Vulcan, but it's a "waste spark" design, so it fires 1 plug on each...
  13. stmitch

Spark looked weak on the initial test, and non-existent on subsequent tests. Had it towed home yesterday so I can dig in further. Will pull some plugs and figure out a way to test the coil pack for starters.
  14. stmitch

Looking to buy 3L for 2000 Ford Ranger

The only meaningful hardware difference between a gasoline 3.0 (Vin 'U') and a flex fuel 3.0 (Vin 'V') are the fuel injectors. As long as you use the FFV injectors that are in the truck now, you can use any Vulcan 3.0 from the appropriate year range. The fastest and easiest swap would be...
  15. stmitch

2002 Ecoboost swapped Ranger build thread

Every picture that I can find of the 2.3L Ecoboost shows cam driven pumps hanging off the back of the cylinder head, just like the 2.0L Ecoboost. So I think you'd have firewall and/or HVAC issues with either one. If cost is an issue, then what about just doing a Duratec 2.3L with a turbo? You...
  16. stmitch

Shorter Ratio Steering Racks?

The steering rack in 98+ regular cab rangers (and 97-01 Explorers with 2 doors) are 4.0 turns lock to lock: https://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-and-wheel/rack-pinion/p/duralast-rack-and-pinion-64174/261064_0_0?searchText=steering%20rack The steering rack in 98+ extended cab...
  17. stmitch

I forgot that I own a spark tester! I'll give that a shot and see what I can determine. Thanks!
  18. stmitch

I have not verified spark yet, other than with the starting fluid. I was working alone, with limited tools and didn't have an easy way to do that.
  19. stmitch

Yeah. I wondered if the fuel gauge had died and I'd unknowingly run it out of fuel or something, but I added 5 gallons, so it's got at least that much in it.
  20. stmitch

Truck: 2000 3.0 Flex Fuel with manual trans. Engine has a whipple supercharger/custom tune that have been working for a decade now. Situation: I got in the truck after work the other day and it started up as normal. The wideband O2 display was showing a lean condition, so I let it idle for ~45...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad