• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. kimcrwbr1

Another weird one

Low voltage will kill the ignition module they require battery voltage.
  2. kimcrwbr1

Another weird one

Are you running. TFI coil the square one? Just use the stock TFI coil then watch the voltage going to the coil and module stays close to battery voltage when running. You can wire the coil and module together key on pos.
  3. kimcrwbr1

1984 Ranger 4x4 2.8 overheating

It can be difficult to burp the heater core and the bypass hose. The bypass is what controls the thermostat it is a goofy setup. What I did was put a Preston flushing tee in the upper heater core hose on the engine. Remove the radiator cap and hold the tee above the radiator and pour coolant in...
  4. kimcrwbr1

85 Ranger - where to start under the hood

First you need to source the duraspark dizzy. Is there a three wire or a six wire harness going to the distributor? If the computer is still in control of the ignition it will never run good. It needs all the inputs working for advance to work properly. The distributor is getting much more...
  5. kimcrwbr1

85 Ranger Throttle Response Issue

You can do the same thing for pinpointing exhaust leaks the louder the tick the closer to the leak. Just tape the tube to a stick to get to hard to reach places…
  6. kimcrwbr1

85 Ranger Throttle Response Issue

A good way to locate a vacuum leak is with a long piece of small tubing. Stick one end in your ear and search around the gaskets under the carb even the manifold gaskets. The louder you hear the hissing the closer to the leak. Just stick the tube in the carb Venturi to hear what your listening...
  7. kimcrwbr1

Duraspark Conversion

After three years I went to adjust the valve lash and pulled a plug it still had .044gap with a toasty brown insulator. AP-105 so I checked all six and they were all the same. If the plugs are getting carbon fouled go ahead and change the valve guide seals. You can do it with air pressure and a...
  8. kimcrwbr1

Holley cam 350 jet size

The auto lite 1.21 Venturi is a 351 cfm carb and does not work well on the 2.8. There is not enough air flow to vaporize the fuel properly. You can try smaller jet sizes but like was said you will likely have huge dead spot issues when you step on the foot feed quickly. Carb spacer felpro 60529...
  9. kimcrwbr1

Duraspark Conversion

Yea anything with a carb is the first to the crusher. The person at the desk does not know what is in the staging lot.
  10. kimcrwbr1

Duraspark II conversion no spark

I am wondering if there was a ground issue to the Duraspark module? If the distributor is not getting a good ground it can cause module failure adding a chassis ground to the black wire on the module will correct that issue…
  11. kimcrwbr1

Duraspark Conversion

If you have any old bone yards close look for a late 70s pinto, mustang II or Capri with the 2.8l for the distributor, module and harness…
  12. kimcrwbr1

EGR Block off plate leaking

I agree make one out of 1/4”plate steel and surface it with 120 grit paper using a figure 8 motion. Then just use a new high temp egr gasket.
  13. kimcrwbr1

Crank no start, carb backfire

That pic of the carb is a 2150a feedback carb. All you can do is set base timing after you disconnect the spout wire at the distributor. You will see on the harness coming out of the distributor there is a single wire connector you need to disconnect it for base timing. Once you set the timing...
  14. kimcrwbr1

Vapor Separator Fuel Filter - Return line to tank?

Also if it blows black smoke on hot starts you need to replace the valve guide seals. There is a article in the tech library on how to without pulling the heads. I used a palm valve spring compressor an air pressure to hold the valves up. Just a FYI
  15. kimcrwbr1

Vapor Separator Fuel Filter - Return line to tank?

If your thermostat is on the lower radiator hose the engine will run alot hotter. There is a two piece thermostat housing that goes on the intake manifold if your lucky you can find one. Ideally you can replace the whole manifold and run the bypass from the upper thermostat housing down to the...
  16. kimcrwbr1

Look for a late 70s pinto, mustang II or capri with the 2.8 and it should have all three distributor harness and ignition as well as the carb.
  17. kimcrwbr1

Dude get some #42 main jets I still get around 18mpg I found if you just turn the needles out three turns from lightly seated and leave it alone.
  18. kimcrwbr1

First you need to get the distributor and module either duraspark or four wire GM module. Start from the computer behind the passenger side kick panel. Remove all the computer harness all the way back to the grey 8 wire connector by the ignition coil. You only need to cut a couple wires at the...
  19. kimcrwbr1

Duraspark II Distributor Issue

I got my distributor to module harness from a 1983 2.3 ranger made it plug and play I only had to splice one wire to coil neg...
  20. kimcrwbr1

Duraspark II Distributor Issue

Do you have any old bone yards close the 2.8 was in mid to late 70s capri, mustang II and pintos...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad