• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Swapping Explorer PCM and PATS into 98 Ranger?

We have a 98 Ranger 4.0 4x4 that was originally an automatic, but I swapped in a manual transmission last year after the auto pooped out after being rebuilt once. I've never gotten around to getting a matching manual PCM for it, so the trans light just blinks all the time, runs fine though. I...
  2. O2 sensors - what brand?

I know some cars can be very finicky when it comes to O2 sensors, what do you guys recommend for a 4.0 OHV Ranger? I've found the Motorcraft one on rockauto, but advance auto has NGK's for about the same price after their coupons. Its got 250k on it, and dont think they've ever been changed...
  3. M5OD hard to shift at times, use syncromesh fluid?

1998 Ranger 4.0L 4wd, recently swapped out the 5R55E to a 98 4.0L M5OD with supposed 44k miles. :D According to the salvage yard, it was was pulled roughly 4 years. I drained the fluid (it was a bit milky brownish) and refilled with fresh ATF. After the install, shifting into first and second...
  4. How to change rear leaf spring bushings?

The front bushing on my RR leaf spring has collapsed and is causing the spring to rub against its perch and making a lot of noise on bumps. I've found the Energy Suspension poly bushings, as well as the regular rubber Moog bushings. But whats the easiest way to remove the old ones? They have...
  5. My engine tried to committ suicide yesterday

With just 15 miles shy of 250,000 miles, and 200 miles on a M5OD swap, coming back from work yesterday I downshifted to second and ran it up to 5k, then shifted to third and fourth and let off the gas. Few seconds later I see blue smoke pouring out the back, crap!!!! Pull over and the engine...
  6. 5R55E to M5R1 - Its alive!!!

So with 250k miles (and 1 rebuild) our 98 Ranger's 5R55E was basically DOA, reverse worked here and there, but it wouldnt shift out of first gear. This was after the separator plate and EPC valve fix were installed. I wound up picking up a 98 Ranger M5R1 with 44k miles, as well as all the...
  7. 98 4.0 - which rear main seal to buy?

We have a 1998 Ranger 4.0, I'm about to put it into the shop to have the tranmission swapped out, and figure I might as well change the rear main now (its got 250k on it haha). The parts stores, as well as the Fel-Pro catalog, lists 2 seals, one that is PTFE rubber, and the other one comes with...
  8. How to change M5OD input shaft seal?

Is this a hard job? Or can I just remove the bearing cover, press the old seal out and put the new one in? And I guess RTV the cover back on? The trans only has 44k on it, but its been at the salvage yard for about 5 years, some of it sitting outside. The input seal looks ok, but if its easy...
  9. Will a 2002 Explorer MT work in a Ranger?

Found a manual 4x4 transmission locally, its from a 2002 Explorer 4dr non-sport trac, ID 1L24-BB-, the mileage listed is 1,000 miles, not sure how accurate that is but the price is pretty good. Would this work in a 1998 Ranger 4.0L 4x4? I know about the different bolt hole because it comes...
  10. Are AT and MT flywheel/dust shields the same?

98 4.0L 4x4, swapping from a 5R55E to a M5OD, can I re-use the flywheel shield with the new trans? Or are they different between the two transmissions? Thanks for any help! Going to have a fun time pulling it from the junkyard if I need it :annoyed: lol
  11. M5OD - 2wd and 4wd housings interchangeable?

I'm planning to swap a M5OD into our 98 Ranger 4.0L 4X4, I found a parts Explorer with all the parts but its a 2wd. I found a 4wd extension housing on ebay. Is the output shaft the same on 2wd and 4wd transmissions? Can I just replace the extension housing? Or does it require a different...
  12. Manual trans swap - what parts should I grab off an Explorer?

My brother has a 98 Ranger SuperCab 4.0 4x4 with the 5R55E with 250k miles, trans was rebuilt at 215k but recently lost reverse and Drive was going too. I took it apart and replaced the separator plate (broken gasket) and its driving somewhat better now, but the crap in the oil pan was not a...
  13. 98 Ranger 4.0 - no injector pulse??

I have a 1998 Ranger Supercab 4.0 4x4 with 240k miles, just bought it recently for $750 with a blown head gasket but otherwise clean body and suspension and everything works on it. The first few days it would fire up instantly, then after that, it just started cranking over and over and would...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad