• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. RangerGoolz

4.0 or 5.0 swap?

I have a 1986 ranger with 2.9 and 5-speed manual trans. I am curious about swapping in a new more powerful engine. Will a 4.0 be the easiest swap and if so what year 4.0 should I be looking for? If its not that much harder to go 5.0 v8 then I may do that but I am not experienced here and will...
  2. RangerGoolz

1986 2.9 flat tappet?

I have looked online and found conflicting info but am I correct that my 1986 2.9 has a flat tappet cam and hydraulic lifters? I had been using mobile 1 10w40 and recently changed to Brad Penn simi-synthetic 10w40. I did this for the extra zinc in the Brad Penn. Any thoughts on this oil? Engine...
  3. RangerGoolz

Redline SI-1

My 86 was doing that when I got it a few months ago. I changed the fuel regulator and pump and it was night and day difference. Barely bump key and it turns over now.
  4. RangerGoolz

Oil pressure sensor

I bought a new oil pressure sensor. This one that sits on the block beneath my power steering pump. My question is how much oil will pour out when changing; if any? I read somewhere that guys do this during oil changes and took that to mean so as not to make a massive mess. Hoping its easy with...
  5. RangerGoolz

Replacing injectors

I wanted to say thank you to you guys for the guidance. New injectors went in today. My truck idles buttery smooth now, no shutters like previously. Seems to have more power and no longer the slight miss that I was getting in the higher rpm range. The original injectors were very dirty. My 86...
  6. RangerGoolz

Replacing injectors

I bought the injectors from ebay after someone on this forum posted about being very happy with their injectors from this seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/201342723624
  7. RangerGoolz

Replacing injectors

Before I dive in I thought I would reach out for pointers on replacing injectors in my 2.9. I've never done this before. Am I correct that this can be done without removing the upper intake and fuel lines? Any other tips or pointers that you all can share would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
  8. RangerGoolz

Interest in 2.9l Phenolic intake Spacers?

Count me in too for one of these. About to install new injectors and would be a perfect time to put one on.
  9. RangerGoolz

One wire alternator upgrade in 86

Alternator went in without a hitch. I made a small extension to the original bracket in order to get the clocking right and the belt right. I thought I might have had it too tight at first and loosened it a bit only to hear loud squealing on start up so I tightened back up a bit. .5" in play...
  10. RangerGoolz

Thanks RonD I really appreciate the guidance. Last question, where should I be looking for the appropriate ground in the engine bay for new alternator?
  11. RangerGoolz

One other thing before I get into this tomorrow; can I leave the old wiring from the original alternator in the truck?
  12. RangerGoolz

Can I expect to have brighter interior light after the alternator upgrade? They all have been very dim since ive had the truck.
  13. RangerGoolz

So by running the positive wire from the new 1-wire alternator to the starter solenoid then it eliminates the keyed on wire from the old alternator to the battery light correct?
  14. RangerGoolz

After looking in my engine bay I cannot find a alternator voltage regulator. All wires from the alternator seem to trace back towards the drivers side firwall and maybe I am missing it but dont see the regulator. Also RonD yes I have the AMOS gauge so thank you for the advise. This is far...
  15. RangerGoolz

Thought I would ask before I get into this upgrade if there are any pointers specific to an 86 2.9 ? Looks like I can get rid of the voltage regulator? I am planning a stereo upgrade that includes and amp and sub and thought extra power would be a good call. Thoughts does and donts?
  16. RangerGoolz

What are these plugs for?

Thanks so much all. You have cleared up some major concerns. Now I would like to purchase an OBD1 reader. Any links for a decent affordable one?
  17. RangerGoolz

What are these plugs for?

I have three unplugged plugs on the left side of my engine bay. They are between the airbox and firewall. Does anyone know what these could be for? One thing I am realized in the month I have had my 86 is that even when I turn the key on before completely starting I never see the engine light...
  18. RangerGoolz

ibeam mods too correct camber after lowering ( w/ pics )

I did drill new holes for the eyelet and not the bracket. The drivers side was easy the passenger side not so much but I got it. It seemed to help a very small amount. There is not much room to move it. An inch at most. I also had to grind away some of both the brackets in order to not bind...
  19. RangerGoolz

ibeam mods too correct camber after lowering ( w/ pics )

After 3" lowering springs I am thinking of all kinds of ways to correct the negative camber. I love how low it is and must figure something out. So I am looking for input and cautions on the following ideas. How about moving the ibeams? seems like the is room to put new holes to shift the ibeam...
  20. RangerGoolz

86 ranger front upper ball joints?

Thanks Gaz, I just dont know how to get the ball joint out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad