• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Can spider gear bust out of diff case?

So I sold my 2003 with the FX4 level ii LSD 4.10. Guy drives it about 300 miles home and all is well. Next day... bang. Hole in the rear diff cover. Something busted out. He says its not my fault but I still feel bad. What in the world could have caused this? I let it sit for about 9 months...
  2. location 03 sohc fuel pressure valve?

No really, this is ridiculous. Everything says that the schrader on the back of the passenger rail is not the pressure tester valve. Book says the valve is in the tank? How is that possible? How does one test fuel pressure here? I'm getting enough to idle but not over 2200 rpm. For more details...
  3. 2003 SOHC 4.0 Rough idle, need help with diagnostic

Everything was going good a few weeks ago. Drove 30 miles away in no hurry. Topped off the tank on the way back bc gas was cheap. Started running rough immediately afterwards. Temp started dropping to the bottom of normal and bumping around there. Poured in a can of seafoam with fingers crossed...
  4. Wrong tranny, change slave?

The PO(S) replaced the M50D-HD in what is now my 2003 4x4 Edge with an older M50D after dolly towing blew up the original. I didn't find this out until after I put in the rebuilt motor and Hayes Super-Truck Clutch Kit and went looking for the Speedo hole. After 2 months on the new clutch, I am...
  5. m50d different size bolts to block?

PO "rebuilt the transmission" (lord knows what that means based on the other things I found) so when I pulled the bolts some were missing and there where two sized short (~2.5") and long (~4'). Is this normal and if so which go where?
  6. externally identify FX4 rear end?

How would one distinguish an FX4 4L10 31-spline from a factory 4L10 28-spline?
  7. explorer 8.8 gears in ranger 8.8 housing?

I have a donor X with 3L73. I'm trying to restore my 94 to 3.73 to match the front. I'm going to use the 4L10 rear (currently on 94) on my 02 and so I plan to rebuild the 4.10 (from the 02) to 3.73 for the 94. Not wanting to put money into converting the X axle for the ranger, so will the X...
  8. 03 body bolt removal from bushings?

Doing PA body lift. My 94 has nuts that you can easily hold while unscrewing from inside the cab. The 03 appears to be screwed directly into the bushing. The bolts will turn but they turn the bushings with them (probably rusted together). I've PB'ed them for days. What can I use to hold the...
  9. 4.0 SOHC Timing Chain Info, Links and Tips (please add!)

I'm still in the process but I thought I would stop and collect some info since TRS doesn't have as much to do about the SOHC as explorerforum.com(and others) on this topic. This is as much for me to have easy access to links and personal experiences as well as for others. Whether or not one...
  10. How to: Starter rebuild and clean (i'm no expert)

I like to take things apart and my starter wasn't working, so here it goes: Tools: 6, 8, 13 mm Contact cleaner Lots of shop rags Flathead is helpful Take out the four screws on top (6mm and 8mm) and everything kind of falls apart. top comes off revealing the brushes If you haven't...
  11. need new sohc, need to be 4x4?

Bought a 2003 with a thrown rod that severely cracked the block. Went to the junkyard and found a block on a X Sport Trac but it had an extra chain which I'm guessing is the 4x4 balancer (coming off crankshaft to the left, see below) mine is a 4x4 but doesn't have that chain. 1) can I use...
  12. Need 2003 front drive shaft, ranger/xploder interchangeable?

I'm in need of an 03 ranger front DS. They are not easy to find locally but there are a plethora of 4x4 explorers, especially 97-01. If I can find an X with a 4.0 sohc and manual tranny (like mine), will it fit? (searched all ove the interwebs but nothing difinitive)
  13. front gears ok? (towed with driveshaft on)

I picked up an 03 edge 4x4 to replace my 94 4x4. The PO towed the truck without disconnecting the rear driveshaft. Destroyed the tranny and bent both driveshafts. What is the probability that the front gears are botched?
  14. 08 sohc 4.0 in a 03?

I just got a great deal on an 03 4x4 edge with a thrown rod. I may have found a great deal on an 08 sohc and just wondering if all sohc's 01-present are interchangeable. If that falls through I'm probably going to pull-a-part and getting a 99ish xploder sohc and redoing the chains and...
  15. Newer rear end, which drums?

I have a 94 4x4, but I but I replaced the rear end with a 2001 limited slip. The 94 drums are about $35 whereas the 01's are twice that. The "upgraded" aerostar (93-97) drums are $47/each. What do you think?
  16. CEL: Running Lean only after 3hrs of highway driving?

I've had this problem for years now (since I bought it in 2003) and although I never checked the codes before I put a new-to-me engine in, I had the same problem before and after. After about 3-4hrs worth of highway driving over 70mph it never fails that I get the CEL (EEC-IV) 172 (sometimes...
  17. front diff in 2wd?

I was browsing the local CL and found a ranger I was thinking about buying for parts. A later double take of the picture got me thinking, because I thought that grill was for 4x4 models then saw what looks to be a diff just below the bumper. So is there a front diff on the 2wd models?
  18. Starting trouble, no spark?

Edit: problem solved (see below) Of course it dies on me when I'm going to go sell something to pay the bills. Nevertheless, cranking wonderfully but no turn over. First assumed it was the fuel system, God knows how old the fuel filter and fuel pump are. But I threw a screwdriver on the...
  19. Frame, alignment? IDK suspension, steering?

As none of you are looking at the truck I will do my best to describe the situation and hope for reasonable theories. 94 Ranger 4x4 4.0 stock. Had a head-on collision on the driver side at about 20mph 3 yrs ago. Had the frame measured and it was fine, and also had it aligned. When I got it...
  20. suggestions hardwiring multiple DC12V outlets?

searched and did not find. anyone have any suggestions hardwiring a multi-port DC12V outlet? I would like for it to only come on with the ignition. 94 Ranger

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad