• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. aintskeered

2001 Ranger questions?

Not sure if this is in the correct category but I'm gonna give it a go. I am looking at a 2001 Ranger with a 4.0 in it and I'm curious on what to look out for on them. Its got 114k miles and supposably runs well, but I haven't owned this gen or engine before. Any info is appreciated.
  2. aintskeered

2.9 Not starting

Just got info from the previous owner, it was never timed right and kept backfiring. as well as the fuel pump was hardwired to the battery. I’ll check everything out and if nothing works won’t be sure if i keep it or swap to a 4.0.
  3. aintskeered

2.9 Not starting

I can try that in the morning. Am i able to hoop a multimeter up to see if there’s any power to it?Would that work?
  4. aintskeered

2.9 Not starting

Just replaced the ignition module and coil and still nothing. Any other ideas?
  5. aintskeered

2.9 Not starting

Replaced the battery and it’ll crank now. Still not starting, even if i spray starting fluid in the throttle body. I’ll do spark plugs tonight but anything else I should look at?
  6. aintskeered

2.9 Not starting

electronic clicking sorry.
  7. aintskeered

2.9 Not starting

Hey yall, I replaced the heads on a 88 2.9 and the engine is making a loud ticking when i try and start it. I’m not sure if the spark plugs are good, they came in the heads. Anything would help though.
  8. aintskeered

Cheapest/easiest way to re gear

So as long as I find axles from pre 95 it’s a pretty simple bolt in swap?
  9. aintskeered

Cheapest/easiest way to re gear

Hey, I am looking to regear my 88 ranger, Its got 35s on it and 9 inches of lift total on stock gearing still. It is a manual so I believe 3.73 gears are stock? I'd like to swap in 4.10 or 4.56 if I can. Am I able to swap in bigger axles with out to much of a hassle with that gearing? I'm...
  10. aintskeered

Replace heads or 4.0??

I posted a separate question in a FB book about getting some more power out of the 2.9 and a gentleman said “High output ignition coil, cold air intake, get a throttle body off a 86-87 2.9, high flow exhaust, lower gears, e fan, 180* thermostat so you can advance the timing a couple degrees...
  11. aintskeered

Replace heads or 4.0??

I'm looking for flat tops. Not sure which year, model or anything else. Does anyone have a link? Or some info on which car they would come out of.
  12. aintskeered

Replace heads or 4.0??

Thank you!! That helps more then you know. I'll definitely look into doing flat top pistons and an electric driven fan. I may look into a 4.0 radiator if that would help. (how do I go about that?) I am pretty worried about MPG (I'd rather not take the lift or tires off) so if that helps that...
  13. aintskeered

Replace heads or 4.0??

Hey guys, I am new here and I just bought a 1988 Ranger 2.9l that needs heads. It’s a manual, has 467k miles. Im trying to decide if it’s worth it to replace the heads or go with a 4.0 swap. It’s got a 6 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift and 35s on it so I’m sure it’ll be a slug once...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad