• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. barrys

Harbor Freight "Pickup Crane" hydraulic hoist

Has anyone installed anything like this bed mounted crane/hoist in their Ranger: https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-capacity-pickup-truck-crane-60732.html It seems it would definitely deform the bed if mounted with supplied hardware. I've read of multiple installations that use a thicker...
  2. barrys

Fog lights come on after ignition turned off -- not kidding...

But seriously folks... I noticed my fog lights were on after I got out of my truck. Headlights were not on, keys in pocket. Etc... I read up on how they work. I was able to get them to come on once when wiggling the switch with the ignition on and the lights off. They do come on when they are...
  3. barrys

More than 6 months between 1st and 2nd oil change -- did that blow the warranty?

I now have a 2010 4.0 -- my third Ranger. :) When I got it, the customer care dude and the service manager both said there was no time amount on the oil change maintenance schedule and that it was just every 7,500 miles. Of course I was skeptical and changed more than that, but maybe not...
  4. barrys

Part number for Bosch "micro edge" wiper blade inserts for 2010 Ranger?

It looks like the wiper blade on my 2010 Ranger is the same as the 1994 one I just sold. Bosch used to make a "micro edge" wiper blade insert set that was really affordable and worked nicely. But, I can't seem to find any inserts on their parts lookup pages for the Ranger -- only complete blade...
  5. barrys

What kind of radio wiring harnesses do I need for a 2010 Ranger XLT?

I have a 2010 XLT, 4 door with a factory radio head unit. It came stock with Sirrus satellite radio which I don't use. I pulled the head unit and it has two plugs -- both black connectors with red/orange faces that receive pins. [Looking at the deck from the back...] Connector 1.: on right: 2...
  6. barrys

Can I put a sport grille on a 2010 XLT

I have a 2010 XLT with the standard grille that looks like this: I was wondering if this grille will fit and if I can get it with a color matched frame from Ford or elsewhere: Although, I will say that having someone take pics of my truck in a photo studio retouched by a photoshop expert...
  7. barrys

2010 - Why do my tires always look like they need air?

I sold my '94 (which I loved) and bought a 2010 last October. The wheels are now 17's -- up from 16" and the spec tire pressure is 30 lbs. I inflate to that and the tires always look low. The pad that touches the ground is about 8+ inches long. I was just curious if this is a Ford spec change...
  8. barrys

Is there any benefit from keeping the original oil in for 7,500 miles?

I'm up to 3K on the new Ranger and I'm getting twitchy about wanting to change the oil. I've got free oil change coupons coming out the wazoo. But, the service manager who I actually don't think is trying to steer me wrong suggests leaving it in for the full 7,500 miles. Is there any reason...
  9. barrys

Why would Ford recommend a tranny service at 3K on a new truck?

My buddy just got a new Explorer and bought the prepaid service from Ford Corp. (not a 3rd party service contract). The dealer scheduled him for a tranny service at 3K. (Keeping 1st motor oil change at 7,500.) Anyone ever hear of Ford recommending that? I got a new Ranger that's coming up...
  10. barrys

Anyone want to talk about break-in?

I know it's not a new topic. But, I just got a new 4.0 and I'm wondering about breakin. Clearly I want to vary speed and take it easy for the first 1000 miles. But, I'm curious about oil and oil changes during the first miles. The manual and dealer are saying to leave the oil in for 7500...
  11. barrys

CA smog test: is high octane fuel really a good idea

[Note: discussion is based on my 1994 3.0 auto.] I hope this doesn't sound like a moron question even though I am one when it comes to real tuning topics but... I read all over and got advice from my mechanic to run high octane fuel for the smog test. The argument being that higher octane fuel...
  12. barrys

Kelly Blue Book on a 94 3.0 Supercab is going up...

I just sold my 94 (3.0, auto, supercab in Mocha which is still my favorite color for the Ranger) yesterday and was shredding all the old paperwork and looking through as I went. I had printed out the Kelly Blue Book pricing in around 12/2007 and it's "good" private party value was 2,750. Now...
  13. barrys

Selling the old 94 Ranger

The classifieds upload is broken so I thought I'd post here until they fix it. I'm selling my '94 2WD, Auto, 3.0 Mocha Ranger for $3000.00. It's pickup only in San Jose, CA. It's super clean and runs like a watch. It's got 128K original miles. Here are some pics and a better description...
  14. barrys

Is there anyone on this forum who can contact mechanical experts or engineers at Ford

I just bought a new Ranger and I've got an issue with it and I don't agree with what the service manager at my dealer is telling me. The truck is a 2010 Ford Ranger super cab with a 4.0. When the fuel guage reads empty, the fuel tank light does not illuminate and the truck only takes 14.9...
  15. barrys

Would you buy the extended warranty on a new 4.0 Ranger

Just replaced the Ranger with feelings of great joy and sadness... I'm on the fence on buying the extended warranty on a new 4.0 Ranger? I'm on the fence. It takes the warranty from 3 to 7 years (I'll never hit the mileage limits) with $100 deductible -- seemingly bumper to bumper. They want...
  16. barrys

Am I an idiot for wanting to reuse the plastic clips on the fuel filter connectors?

I have a 94 ranger with fuel connectors that have these clips: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/DOR3/55147.oap?pt=N1651&ppt=C0290 It's recommended to replace them. But, it seems that they might be reusable and mine are fairly new -- about 3 years old living in a comfy climate. I'm...
  17. barrys

Why do my new front brakes with CarQuest blue ("Premium") pads get stinky

I just did my brakes and I used Raybestos rotors and CarQuest "Premium" semimetal pads. When I hit the brakes hard (this happened twice now), they get that stinky brake smell like when a big truck is trying to stop on a downhill. They only have about 150-200 miles on them. There is a light...
  18. barrys

Finally found the temp sensor and sender -- thought I'd share...

I learned about our motors having both a temperature sensor which talks to the computer (two wires) and a temperature sender which controls the temp guage. I didn't have the easiest time finding their locations in the manuals until I found them in the Helm manual's engine teardown section --...
  19. barrys

tstat gasket replacement question -- which way is up?

I'm probably going to replace my thermostat. I've seen gaskets with a raised seal on one side and read in the manual about applying rtv. With the gasket, would the seal go up towards the housing? If I use one with no seal and apply rtv, would that only go on one side or both?
  20. barrys

Letting the internet get you all freaked out about cracked heads

So, on the Ranger, I saw it wanting coolant top off with oil changes -- about an inch in the resevior every 3,500 mi/5 months) and the temp needle running a lot higher than I was used to (near "R" instead of below "N" where it sat for years). I have a great indy mechanic -- 40+ years working on...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad