• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Chapap

Door hinge squeak: 3-in-1 vs fancy silicone

I say fancy silicone... it's probably regular stuff, but the 3-in-1 oil is like WD40 in its use. I got some spray silicone for the garage door and figured it'd be great for the squeaky 30 year old truck doors. Nope. It improved a little for a day, but that's it. The 3-in-1 oil eliminates squeak...
  2. Chapap

Do modern cars learn driving habits?

I think I've heard of some luxury car brands learning the owner's driving habits. The main thing I can think of where this would be useful is transmission behavior... adjusting for granny or lead footed driving. It doesn't seem like it'd be all that difficult for basically every modern car to...
  3. Chapap

Six cycle engine- really cool!

I recently saw a video of this. I imagine that this is a 100 year old idea, but there's a fella somewhere who made one that runs. This is probably the coolest odd engine I've seen. It adds another power stroke after the exhaust stroke of a standard 4 stroke engine. it goes: intake > compression...
  4. Chapap

Paint worthy of a golf cart?

In this case, "worthy" is referring to the upper limit of quality, not lower. I have zero painting equipment including the compressor. I want to do this on the cheap, and that may very well mean not touching it is the best option. I'm thinking that regular ole spray paint would look a bit meh...
  5. Chapap

Easiest windshield sun shade?

I got a traditional folding shade and it really helps keep the truck from baking. It's a bit of a pain to put up tho. Not much of a pain... it's 20 seconds... but it seems like a hassle in the moment. Anyone have one that you like? The umbrella ones look like they could be quick and easy.
  6. Chapap

Are 4-wheel trailers with steer axle legal? The kind with steer axles.

I found a couple of these military trailers for sale. I can't for the life of me get a google search to work and I can't seem to find the applicable law. Is this type of trailer legal? It has a standard trailer axle in back, but a steer axle in front. I imagine it's not safe to tow at any...
  7. Chapap

Can trailer load be too far forward?

If all weights are within the limits of the various related components, can the load be to far forward?
  8. Chapap

Any golf cart mechanics out there?

I'm shopping for a golf cart. I found a few under $2k that "don't run." What are things to check on a golf cart? I'm thinking there are 4 major components: motor, batteries, controller of some sort, and the cart itself. The cart seems easy enough to judge. Not sure about the other stuff. Do...
  9. Chapap

Mazda's New Inline Six- Pretty Sweet

My wife's Mazda is in the shop to get a mirror with failing paint replaced. They gave her a loaner CX90 while they work. It's surprisingly roomy inside but a bit cramped in the back compared to some actual body on frame SUVs. The back seat is nicer compared to the explorer if I recall correctly...
  10. Chapap

Are all batteries (of same type) the same?

Say I'm shopping for a FLA battery of some size. I can find prices from $90 to $250. Is the only difference the sticker? The more expensive ones claim higher CCA and such (maybe longer warranty too), but all that seems like it's strictly determined by the size of the battery (how many plates and...
  11. Chapap

Which side of the tire do you like?

It seems that a significant number of tires have two different sidewall designs. One has a texture and low profile letters, and the other is smooth with chunkier letters. Some tires (nitro dura grappler) go a step further and have a steel plate graphic molded on one side. Does anyone have a...
  12. Chapap

Does The 3pmsf Severe Snow Rating Matter?

As I understand, This rating means it passed an acceleration test in some icy condition. Is there anything I can assume about a tire with this rating, or is it more of a meaningless stamp? It seems counterintuitive that a tire can be a severe snow tire but not a snow tire. I'm hunting for some...
  13. Chapap

Advise on helping with alcoholism

I have a family member whose spent years battling alcoholism. “Normal” treatments haven’t worked and he’s quit basically his whole life (understatement) and moved back in with his large family... I’d say family is the only thing separating him from rock bottom (multiple aa meetings a day). I...
  14. Chapap

Cellular home internet any good?

I once had an AT&T unlimited hotspot as my home internet. No complaints on the service but being that it was a hotspot and/or an apple device, it made connecting a bit of a hassle. My wife was working from home during the pandemic and the company would not allow wireless connection, so I rigged...
  15. Chapap

Warming engine up, does it matter if it's winter?

Designed water temp is close to 200. cylinder/valve/exhaust temp is 4 digits. Does the engine notice a difference between ambient temps being 90 vs 10? I take it easy on all my vehicles when they just start up, but if I'm bundled up and shivering, I tend to really take it easy. Am I just...
  16. Chapap

Strobe LED to double as marker light

I'm looking for some mini strobes that also double as marker lights. I've found plenty of mini strobes that will work, but non that I can run as marker lights. It ought to be easy enough to hook a flasher module to any ole led light, but then they wont be that good at being strobes.
  17. Chapap

Wood burning fireplace for heat

Down here in Florida most fireplaces are decorative. My parents use theirs for the fun of it and for heat. It seems like it could heat the entire house, but it's inefficient at getting the heat into the house. It's got a nice insert thing... like an iron box with heavy doors and built in blower...
  18. Chapap

Car wash memberships

Thinking of getting my wife a membership to a local car wash… the big kind that drags your car through and has all the brushes and lights. We used to hand wash and hand wax, but that has turned into an annual event. Think she’d like her car being shiny enough all the time rather than being...
  19. Chapap

Required disclosures & documentation at repair shops?

Skip to paragraph 2 for the question. This is just the story: My wife recently took her Mazda in for an oil change. Being that it's 1 year old, we take it to a (possibly formerly) trusted dealer. She knows to only get an oil change and avoid the $90 filters and other BS. She asked for "only a...
  20. Chapap

Best windshield wiper washer fluid

Can't believe this isn't a thread already. I'm looking for a good fluid, but I absolutely hate the RainX type fluid that makes the water bead up. Unfortunately, it seems that all wiper fluid has this property. Is there a good fluid for this that has some cleaning ability and maybe a little...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad