• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. The search continues for my mysterious surging idle/stalling issue

I had a long thread on here a while back on this issue when I was trying to get my truck to pass smog. You can check it out HERE If you'd like but I'm going to summarize the situation so I don't scare everyone off with multiple pages of comments to catch up on. My 1987 4x4 ford ranger with the...
  2. Holes in metal line coming from transfer case?

hey, I was looking around the deep crevices of the engine bay of my 1987 4x4 ford ranger with the 2.9 and a4ld and noticed something somewhat alarming. There’s a metal line behind the distributor that’s coming up from the transfer case I believe (it’s real hard to track these as they go around...
  3. In search of some old steel ranger rims

I'm getting ready to put some new tires on my 1987 4x4 ranger but I've been wanting different rims on the truck and now would be a good time to source them so the new tires can go on those. I'm in search of something similar to these rims I found on an old first gen ranger I saw online. Are...
  4. 2.9 Oil Filter Thread Insert

Last two times I changed the oil on my 1987 ranger the oil filter thread insert came out with the old filter. Both times I had a really hard time getting it back in far enough without marring the threads. If it doesn't screw in far enough then the filter gasket doesn't make contact with the...
  5. What's this hose going to my airbox?

Anyone happen to know what this hose in the back of my airbox is? Looks almost like wire loom but it looks like it just lets air from under the hood into the airbox? Mine leads to nothing and is brittle and cracked. I'd like to just plug the hole in the airbox it to keep mice out but I wanted to...
  6. Can’t find motorcraft TPS

Does anyone know where I can track down a motorcraft throttle position sensor for a 1987 ford ranger (2.9, 4x4 auto transmission)? I’ve gotten two different ones from other companies and the voltages are off, closed throttle is over 1v on both even with the idle screw not stopping the throttle...
  7. Cheap 2" lift on 1987 4x4 ford ranger

Hey I've got a 1987 4x4 ranger with the 2.9 and a4ld auto transmission. It's due for some new tires soon and I'm considering adding a bit of lift to it along with some larger tires. I've read I should be able to fit 31" tires after a 2" lift but curious to hear what anyone here has to say about...
  8. Poor Idle while in Park, decent while in Drive

It's once again time to smog my 1987 ford ranger with the terrible 2.9. Its been idling rough and I can't seem to figure it out. When in park (especially when warmed up) the idle surges then drops real low and then surges then back real low rhythmically and sometimes it will stall. It will...
  9. Throttle Body Air Hoses

Yesterday while taking off the throttle body on the 2.9 in my 1987 ford ranger to get at the ECT sensor I realized there's two large hoses attached to the bottom of the throttle body that are in poor shape. One goes to the crankcase cover, the other connects to the intake manifold. Between these...
  10. 1987 Ford Ranger fickle about 3rd & 4th gear

I have a 4x4 1987 ford ranger with the 2.9 and A4LD auto transmission. When I'm giving it gas in 3rd and it shifts into 4th around 40 or so mph it will most often quickly drop back into 3rd then shift back into 4th and back to 3rd all while keeping the gas pedal in the same place. Its very...
  11. Fuel Pressure drops to 0 after engine dies

I recently checked the fuel pressure on my 1987 ford ranger and had a question for y'all. First I checked if it held pressure with engine off after priming it. After 10 minutes the needle hadn't moved so I started it up and it held steady at 32 PSI while idling. I unplugged the fuel pressure...
  12. Throttle Position Sensor voltage out of range

Hey my 1987 ford ranger with the 2.9 has a few issues that I've been trying to track down. It likes to die right after I start it. Idle is a bit sporadic, goes up and down and up and down, sort of like a pendulum. It also likes to die when I take it out of park and put it into gear whether its...
  13. Intermittent fuel pump issues with a 1987 ford ranger

Hey, my girlfriend has a 1987 ford ranger with the 2.9 that’s been having intermittent no-starts. She described to me that the truck would start just fine when it was cold but she’d park somewhere and when she’d come back 10 - 30 minutes later it wouldn’t start. She’d wait and eventually it...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad