• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. 2.9 Top End replacement advice

1989 A4LD 4x4 2.9 Hey all, Considering doing a top end replacement / rebuild and have a few questions about the 2.9.. To preface this, I already “want” new heads because I recently replaced both exhaust manifolds and never got perfect / permanent connections for new manifolds due to all of...
  2. 1st gen fender trim?

Been poking around for any sources for buying this kind of steel/chrome trim.. Anybody happen to know who sells sets like this? Haven’t had any luck scouring for it so am resorting to le knowledge station…..
  3. Window swap.. 87 SuperCab to 89 Single cab?

Went and saw a super cab 87 for parts and considered pulling the solid window but it really appeared larger than my 89 sliding window. Didn’t have my truck with me to compare though. Are all supercab windows their own size and all single cabs are smaller? And yes, I want a solid window. I don’t...
  4. Power steering leak project

Howdy! 1989 Automatic 4x4 2.9 ... So I've got what possibly is two leaks in the power steering. One, the front face of the pump, so tucked behind the pulley, is pretty drenched looking. Two, the top adjustable nut thing on the steering gear box looks like it may be leaking. I believe these two...
  5. 1989 2.9 Automatic, A/C delete?

Been searching to find an answer to this but alas am resorting to the forum! Doing other work and looking to gain some engine bay clearance for a while. I’ve never had the belt on the A/C so it’s just sitting. Don’t care for the convenience of AC either so won’t be restoring it for a couple...
  6. Vacuum Hookup + Reservoir Mystery

Hey folks, So i've just finished a lot of other work and still have some persistent idle problems, somewhat wild ones sometimes, and am trying to finally eliminate vacuum from the list of possible causes. I've started doing some tests of vacuum connections and lines and did find very minor...
  7. Oil Filter mount wiggle, leaks

2.9L 89 So my oil filter always has some oil mess around it and above it. Not dropping much, just seaping. I’ve changed it a few times, never double gasketed, and always noticed that the filter swivels a bunch if I push it this way or that. It’s tough to see that part of the engine so I’m...
  8. 1989 2.9L... does an EGR valve exist?

Hey all, Saw this vid of some basic 1st gen parts replacements.... And am confused about my 2nd gen truck now... Does an 89-92 2.9L have an EGR valve? Don't see one in the engine bay, yet. I do see where it would be mounted, but it's just closed off with a plate. Also don't see an 89 EGR valve...
  9. Faulty Fuel Injector causing mis at startup?

Hey all, 89 2.9 auto So like 50% of the startups, I get a mis and the truck dances until I throttle it up a couple / few times. Then the mis goes away once it’s forced past whatever issue it’s having. I’ve replaced pretty much all the ignition electricals, done the timing, replaced the fuel...
  10. Parking Brake Mechanism : COMPLETE INSANITY

Hey all, 89 Ranger Standard Cab Auto 4x4 So I need to install new parking brake cable, the very front one that goes into the mechanism and down out under body. I've already fully rebuilt the entire rear brake system and all parking brake cables. Only thing left is the front cable. My mechanism...
  11. Signs of aging A4LD

Howdy all, 89 2.9L 4x4 automatic One thing I haven’t touched in my truck that I got a couple years ago is the transmission, other than checking level and smell testing. Soon I’m going to drop the pan and change the gasket and do the fluid, and also put in some new O rings and gasket for the...
  12. E-Fan upgrade to 89 2.9L... Is there an available port on engine, for sensor?

Might do this upgrade: https://www.etrailer.com/p-D18916.html https://www.etrailer.com/p-D16749.html Here's the instructions for the adjustable thermostat kit.. Installation Details "Locate a 3/8” NPT port either on the radiator, waterneck, intake manifold or cylinder heads." Silly...
  13. Bumper brackets... 1st gen front bumper onto 2nd gen frame

Hi all, So I've got most of my 89 nose converted to 1st gen, only things left are mounting the 1st gen bumper and valance/signals. My 89 had a 3" body lift done a long time ago. It had some kind of steel brackets that raised the bumper to match the lift. I have removed the 89 bumper, and have...
  14. Camber adjustment, shop confused

1989 4x4 2.9L automatic w Rancho lift So after I replaced my busted passenger side axle drop bracket that’s part of the lift kit, I took my truck to a cheap spot down the road just to get a basic computer alignment. After installing the new drop bracket the wheel was quite off, as you’d expect...
  15. Headlight Connector Wiring 1st Gen VS 2nd Gen

So I’m installing a 1st gen nose onto my 2nd gen truck. Two of the three front light connectors mate up by design, but the primary headlight has a different kind of connection. Anybody know the pinout for each? I might try beeping each light/connection with a multimeter. 1st Gen first, 2nd gen...
  16. Poaching parts from ‘84 B2 for ‘89 Ranger

This week I’ll be swinging by and collecting the hood and some lights from a seller parting out a ‘84 Bronco II. It’s for my 89 Ranger that I’m converting the nose from 2nd gen to 1st gen. Already have the fenders and bumper and grill. But while I’m at it, are there any other parts I should...
  17. Are there any Zerk fittings on a 2nd Gen ranger?

1989 4x4 automatic 2.9L limited slip I don't think i've seen any mention of routine greasing this truck anywhere and I feel like i've missed something. Is there really nothing to grease gun on this thing?
  18. Opening up wheels/brakes/axles for projects, could use some parts selection help

Hey all, So I'm soon going to prop the ranger up and address multiple basic things in axles/wheels. If anybody has some pointers on parts selection, and what else should be replaced while I'm in there, that would be great! Mostly I'm just heading into the unknown regarding tiny pieces that you...
  19. 2.9L Reality Check: Highway capable?

1989 2.9 4x4 auto, 31x10.5’s, 4.10 limited slip, uncertain mileage This last week I’ve gotten to put the ranger through some tests, one of them being I finally took it on the highway. I have been planning to dig in a little bit with the engine and do some degree of cleaning and/or rebuild. But...
  20. Creating a clamp/union just prior to catalytic?

1989 2.9l 4x4 automatic Long story short: I’ve got a bad connection from Y pipe to cat.. the old Y pipe has rusted away a little bit at the very end and so the gasket doesn’t even really seat since there not enough metal around it. So I have a leaky connection there, and it’s visibly releasing...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad