• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. 2.3L ('83-'97) Timing belt question

Well that made a difference, truck is much snappier now. Also I think it was running a bit rich before, I could often smell unburned fuel but not now. Good thing I did the belt, the tensioner was shot as was the water pump, I doubt they changed them when they did the belt.
  2. 2.3L ('83-'97) Timing belt question

Awesome, thanks RonD, tor the quick answer, I couldn't figure why it was running fairly well if this was out.
  3. 2.3L ('83-'97) Timing belt question

Doing the timing belt on my 96 2.3, it was last replaced about 60K ago. Noticed whomever did the belt last had the oil pump out by one tooth clockwise. Any idea how this would affect the running? Thanks
  4. 2.3L ('83-'97) 1996 2.3 Manual Stalling issue

Solved here https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/1996-2-3-manual-stalling-issue.188839/ Good to know that if the PCM does not get a speed sensor signal the truck will not run right, stalling, running rich, poor idle are all symptomatic of this. Thanks.
  5. VSS wiring path

Update, as I suspected the wiring harness was not the correct one for this truck, somewhere in it's history it has been swapped out for one from a different year or options, either way it was wrong. I bought the one off ebay an installed it today, everything now works as it should :yahoo: Thanks...
  6. VSS wiring path

There are gry/blk wires at pin 58 on the PCM and pin 9 on the GEM and pin 1? on the cluster. The blu/y ohms out on pin 64 of the PCM. I saw this 96 harness on ebay and I can see the wiring on the grey connector that mates to the VSS section and there is a visible gry/blk wire there that mine...
  7. VSS wiring path

If I wanted to run a jumper from the VSS to the PCM/GEM/Speedo any suggestions on where to splice in? Thanks
  8. VSS wiring path

Thanks, the more I look at it the more I am convinced this is the wrong harness. The LB/Y ohms out at pin 64 on the PCM. Just strange that the only thing not working on this truck is The P0500 no VSS Signal, so speedo and engine fuel mgmt are not working correctly. The LB/Y wire is spliced off...
  9. VSS wiring path

yes the gry/blk and the pk/o are connected to the vss
  10. VSS wiring path

VSS is new and I spun it on the bench, works fine. Which side are you wanting me to test?
  11. VSS wiring path

Hi RonD, it is definitely the grey/blk coming from the VSS and transitions to light blue/yellow at the connector.
  12. VSS wiring path

Hi, no cruise on this truck, the grey/blk is the light wire at the bottom front of the connector in the photo it connects to the light blue/yellow opposite in the female end, I have checked the pink/orange ground and it is good.
  13. VSS wiring path

Thank you, I have seen this one before and wanted to confirm if I had the correct one, the problem I have is the grey/black wire after the first connector from the VSS exits as light blue/yellow and that splices into another light blue/yellow, one of them goes to pin 64 on the PCM. Pin 58 on...
  14. VSS wiring path

Thanks but that must be for a later model, 96 has the vss on the transmission.
  15. VSS wiring path

Can anyone tell me for a 1996 Ranger 2.3 Manual 4x2, what path the wiring for the VSS takes, does it go direct to the PCM/GEM/Speedo via the grey/black wires or does the signal get processed another way. Thanks
  16. 2.3L ('83-'97) 1996 2.3 Manual Stalling issue

Okay, not sure what is going on here, this is the connector from the VSS/02 sensor harness to the main harness. Bottom right is the grey/blk wire from the VSS going in but the wire coming out on the other side of the connector is Green/Yel and goes to pin 64 on the PCM which is for the TR...
  17. 2.3L ('83-'97) 1996 PCM Pin out

Anyone have a PCM pin out diagram for a 96 Ranger 2.3 Thanks
  18. 2.3L ('83-'97) 1996 2.3 Manual Stalling issue

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it for sure. To clarify a couple of things. This truck is a manual with 2W ABS, no A/C I have replaced the VSS and IAC with new parts. I got my new scan tool yesterday and it is only showing a stored code for the VSS circuit so I am going to check the...
  19. 2.3L ('83-'97) 1996 2.3 Manual Stalling issue

Hi all, looking for some help on a 96 2.3 manual 2WD I bought recently. Problem: When coming to a stop in 1st or 2nd gear the truck stalls. Some back ground info: Manual 2W ABS, no A/C Truck runs very well, idles smooth starts fine cold or hot, slight smell of running rich and may lack a bit...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad