• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Poll: Best Spark Plugs and Best Oil for 1996 4.0L V6

Yeah it looks like SP-486 are the Single Platinum Motorcraft Plugs that came factory along the side that wasn’t Waste Spark. Any idea what the model number is for the Double Platinum Motorcraft Plugs that came factory on the Waste Spark side? Or at the very least, a model of Double Platinum...
  2. Poll: Best Spark Plugs and Best Oil for 1996 4.0L V6

Ok great. Thanks guys. I’m going 5W-30 Mobil 1 All Synthetic because 5W-30 is Factory Specand don’t wanna go off course. I got a problem with the spark plugs though: I can’t for the life of me find Motorcraft Double Platinum Spark Plugs that fit a 1996 Ranger 4.0 V6 on the internet! RockAuto...
  3. Poll: Best Spark Plugs and Best Oil for 1996 4.0L V6

Hey Gang. I just bought a 1996 Ford Ranger with 125,000 Miles, but it is in excellent condition. I think a Navy guy was the last owner. Very clean truck. I’m going to do a tune up on it as I usually do after buying a used car, but was curious what you guys would personally favor for a 1996...
  4. Rough Idle After Starting And Sometimes Dies

I’m hard pressed to find a vacuum link, but ordered some hose (of various inside and outside diameters, if anyone knows the specific size that could be helpful) anyways to swap out as many as I can, hopefully all of them. But if it is the Computer, would it be as simple as ordering this...
  5. Rough Idle After Starting And Sometimes Dies

It doesn’t have a problem getting up to temperature and then idling correctly around 900 RPMs. At that point, I’m good to go and it has never died when I’m up to temperature. My headaches exist only on a cold start. I just started it this morning and it went up to 1800 RPMs, then after two...
  6. Rough Idle After Starting And Sometimes Dies

Hahaha ok ok settle down guys, no one has to go to North Dakota. I bought a can of Liqui Molly Valve Cleaner and a can of Liqui Molly Fuel System Cleaner. I’ll put the other half of the Seafoam in this week, see if it does anything, and then try the Liqui Molly products That should be right...
  7. Rough Idle After Starting And Sometimes Dies

That does sound like one promising lead; the Temp Sensor has failed, so cold starts are getting an irregular fuel mixture not conducive to running a cold engine and thus idling erratically? Do I follow you correctly? I just ordered a Motorcraft replacement Temperature Sensor to replace my...
  8. Rough Idle After Starting And Sometimes Dies

Hey Guys, so when I first start my 1987 Ford Ranger 2.9L V6 it deviates between approximately 800 RPMs and 1800 RPMs. A very rough idle indeed. On rare occasions, after watching the needle bounce up and down at about the rhythm of someone on a large trampoline, it gives up and dies. I got the...
  9. What is the OEM Ford or Motorcraft Idle Air Control Valve on a 1987 Ranger

Hey Guys, My truck is idling kinda funny. It rumbles low tone, and then hits high, then goes back to low, and so on and so forth. So I'm replacing my Idle Air Control Valve. However, I'm trying to use Ford or Motorcraft parts wherever possible. Do you guys know what the part number is for...
  10. How Many Caps on Charcoal Canister? 1, 0, or 2?

Hey Guys, I’m replacing the charcoal canister on my 1987 2.9L Ranger and the old canister has zero caps on the charcoal canister. I also have a 1992 4.0L though and that has one cap on (of the two openings, it’s on the opening labeled “B” closer to the left front fender.) So what would you...
  11. The Most Common Hardware for 1987 Ranger Restore?

Hey Guys. I just bought a 1987 Ford Ranger as a project truck and I’m already replacing the thermostat, the temp send unit, and ignition coil. Since it seems like this project truck is slowly turning into a complete restore, I’d like to swap all the old 33 year old rusty bolts and screws for...
  12. Best Oil for 1987 2.9L V6

Hey guys. I just bought a 1987 Ford Ranger 2.9L V6. Out of habit, I’m changing the oil. I’d like to find out what the last viscosity, brand, and synthetic/non-synthetic the prior owner used, but I’m afraid I won’t be able to find out, so I’m going to start from scratch. If you had a 1987...
  13. New Coolant Recommendations for 1987 2.9L V6

Hey guys, I just bought a 1987 Ford Ranger as a project to learn on. It’s got a bad thermostat (stuck open at the moment), and so when I replace it I plan on just putting brand new coolant in it. Any recommendations? For what it’s worth, I’m in California and it can get up to 100 degrees.
  14. Spark Plugs in 1987 Ranger: Resistor or Non-Resistor?

Ahhhhhh got it. And yes, you're right 19Walt93: SP419A is indeed an AWSF-42C, so they do identify the same plug. And obviously S stands for suppressor which means resistor which means Dirtman's right: resistorless is too antiquated for my '87 Ranger. Everybody wins! And I know more about...
  15. Spark Plugs in 1987 Ranger: Resistor or Non-Resistor?

This is really enlightening. Thanks guys. SenorNoob: Where did you find the SP419A specification? I have a Chiltons Repair Manual for 83-91 Ranger/Bronco II and it says that the 1987 2.9L V6 calls for a Motorcraft AWSF-42C, but if the Owners Manual for the 1987 Ranger calls for SP419A then I...
  16. Spark Plugs in 1987 Ranger: Resistor or Non-Resistor?

Hey y'all. I just got a 1987 Ford Ranger Standard Cab 4x4. It's the 2.9L V6. Figured I should give it a tuneup. I bought (6) Motorcraft Copper Resistor Spark Plugs, but also bought (6) Motorcraft Copper Non-Resistor Spark Plugs because after a lot of googling I couldn't find a recommendation...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad