• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. JohnG

88 GT for sale

Spotted this on Facebook marketplace. I’m not the seller so won’t be able to answer questions. https://www.facebook.com/share/Aaia4jzvWA8TeipF/?mibextid=79PoIi
  2. JohnG

Replace the alternator issues - ‘86 2.9

So my alternator went out this weekend and I’m have trouble finding a replacement. From research and numerous parts stores including Rockauto the are two options: one with external voltage regulator (incorrect wiring and mount) and internal regulator (correct wiring and mount). The big issue is...
  3. JohnG

Wipers won’t park

Wipers stopped parking. Turn off wipers and they stop instantly not continuing to the bottom of the windshield. Happened a few times is the past but always healed itself. Intermittent feature also stopped working. Low works as always (didn’t check high). A searching here implies that the...
  4. JohnG

Bronco IIs at the 2023 Bronco SuperCelebration

Got a some pix of BIIs at the Bronco SuperCelebration in Townsend TN yesterday. Unfortunately I got there late so I might have missed a few. The purple and blue had Dana 44’s in front. Guessing they had full Early Bronco drivetrains. The camo had rear windows that came out. The red was very...
  5. JohnG

Rear Cylinder swap questions

I’m sitting in the driveway working on my 86’s rear brakes and have a couple questions 1. The bleeder is broken off and extractor is not getting it out. So bought another cylinder. The bleeder is substantially larger. Does this matter, side to side? 1b. Should I replace both sides? 2. Shoe...
  6. JohnG

Door Panel Removal

Dumb question, how do you remove these door panels at the top? The bottom is clearly in by the plastic “Christmas trees” but not seeing how the top attached? I need to open it up but don’t want to break anything. (86 STX)
  7. JohnG

High idle - 86 2.9l

Gang, new problem this morning. High idle will not drop to normal after warm. Stays at about 2000 rpm. Pulled codes and got code 32. EGR not responding. Disconnected the IAC valve and had no change. What I did the night before… Looked at the air filter. Sprayed some soapy water on the pass...
  8. JohnG

For Sale “Roll” Bar - $100 Sweetwater TN

This roll bar showed up in Facebook marketplace. Please direct questions to the owner in FB. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/142246891420397/
  9. JohnG

Fast idle?

What controls the fast idle when the motor is cold? IAC or computer or other? When starting up in the morning, the fast idle on my 86 2.9 is like 2000. Since it fires on the first hit I really hate running it that fast while cold. Thanks!
  10. JohnG

Changing Fuel Pressure Regulator - fixed, broke, fixed again

guys, I’m changing out a fuel pressure regulator this weekend. I’ve heard I need a special tool. I figure it is safer to ask the experts here than the kid behind the counter at AutoZone. Thanks in advance 1986 STX, 2.9l
  11. JohnG

Replacing Hard Vacuum Lines

It’s (probably) time to replace the hard vacuum lines. Is it possible it use rubber vacuum hose or do I need to get hard lines from the dealer? I’m sure they won’t be cheap. John 86 2.9l
  12. JohnG

Leaking after rad change

dumb question for the day... How do I stop the leaking from the transmission line going into the radiator? I have gradually tightened it fittings down but afraid I’m going to crack the tank or strip threads if I tighten it much more. Should the fittings have some sort of sealing tape or other...
  13. JohnG

Plumbing a new radiator question

I’m changing out my radiator today and have a question about how to seal the trans cooler lines. Do I need to use any sort of thread sealer or just tighten it until it doesn’t leak? Any other hints about bleeding air out would be welcome too. Thanks in advance, John
  14. JohnG

EGR valve control solenoid question

Dumb question of the day... Is the EGR valve control solenoid supposed to make a noise after I turn the truck off? It’s tough to describe but it’s a buzzing sound that lasts 1-2 seconds. Getting code 31. Also looking for vacuum leaks. ‘86 STX with 2.9 Thanks all!
  15. JohnG

Vacuum leak question - 2.9l

I have been chasing a vacuum leak. While changing lines I noticed that there is vacuum line going from the charcoal canister to the gas tank. If the gasket that is supposed to be on the gas cap is gone would that cause a vacuum leak?
  16. JohnG

Finally back behind the wheel!

After years of not getting to be a Ford truck owner (we do have newish Focus on its 5th transmission repair) we finally picked up this little gem! ‘86 STX 4x4 auto. 180k miles, almost no rust. Everything is factory except a broken cassette player and the Explorer wheels... both getting changed...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad