• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. crs.wdp

High idle 1991 Ranger 4.0 OHV, 1200 rpm

HIGH IDLE SOLVED! These ranger / explorer forums have been such an awesome resource I thought I should post my experience in hopes it may help someone else. It does seems that high idling is fairly common on the 4.0 OHV so here is what my problem was. After running out of the more common /...
  2. crs.wdp

Here are a bunch of pics. The one circled in red is the mystery plug that has continuity with one side of the evap solenoid plug. I can trace the wires along the yellow line and into the gray plug then one of them to the evap solenoid. Also, can you identify the sensor circled in green? There...
  3. crs.wdp

I disconnected and plugged the vacuum port on the front of the TB that runs to the evap canister, no change in idle. Any idea what that plug is above the driver side valve cover? One of the two wires has continuity with the evap line solenoid. I can't find it's mate or anything that looks like...
  4. crs.wdp

Ah yes, that makes sense. I will plug it and redo a smoke test. I’ll report back. Thanks!
  5. crs.wdp

Thanks for the reply. I just bought the truck and am going through it. I’ve not messed with the idle stop screw. It’s unscrewed all the way and doesn’t even touch the linkage arm. It seems if I screw it in though it will move the throttle open and increase the idle, right?
  6. crs.wdp

Thanks for the reply. Good eye, can’t believe you saw that in the photo. I saw that when I bought the truck and thought it was a smoking gun but the line is a hard plastic with a soft rubber jacket. I tested all the lines with a vacuum pump disconnecting from their source and plugging. It holds...
  7. crs.wdp

First time posting here but I've been reading all the posts on here as well as other sites trying to solve my high idle. I'm running out of posts to read so I figured I'd try posting it and see if anyone has any more tips. It idles at 1200/1300 rpm. Its a 1991 Ranger 4.0 OHV Auto 4x4 STX reg...
  8. crs.wdp

1991 Ford Ranger High Idle

Thanks for the response. I swapped the IAC with a made in USA Hitachi, as per one of the threads I read which mentioned only Motorcraft and Hitachi worked well on the rangers. It didn't seem to affect anything. I did a smoke test with a cigar but couldn't find anything before I felt like I was...
  9. crs.wdp

1991 Ford Ranger High Idle

I'm wondering how it has progressed with you 91 Ranger. I have a similar problem with 91 Ranger 4.0 auto and I'm starting to run out of diagnostics. I've done just about everything you have with no change. I don't want to hijack your thread with my problems but just thought I'd see if you were...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad