• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Engine Rattle But Need to Get Home

I have a 1999 Ford Ranger manual and I lent it to a friend who stalled it three times really hard he says. Needless to say he ain't borrowing it no more. Anyways, it started to make an odd rattling sound immediately after and I noticed the crankshaft pulley seemed to wobble a bit but steadied...
  2. Dash lights out

I have the entire dash out and I cannot for the life of me find why the lights aren't getting power. Does anyone know how many live wires are supposed to be in the head/dash lights switch??? I have two live and five others; two of the five go hot when switch is turned on but three don't.
  3. Dash lights out

I will check the fuses... It is not the dimmer switch... I didn't take the cluster out but I wouldn't be surprised if I bumped it. I'll let you guys know what I find...
  4. Dash lights out

So I just put in all new audio equipment and when I buttoned it all up the dash lights don't work. Everything works audio wise headlights high beams the little center panel with the check engine light and stuff works, but my speedometer tachometer fuel level etc. Aren't on. Any ideas before I go...
  5. Serpentine Rattling

It was the alternator pulley. I just went and picked up a new one at the local pick n pull so she's back to just normal loud lol.
  6. Serpentine Rattling

After some more research I was going to look at the idler pulley and belt tensioner today, but I heard/saw rattling on the passenger side and those two were on the other side I thought. Also after some more reading I'm hearing that lose belt pulleys result in some nasty squealing; I don't have...
  7. Serpentine Rattling

So I had been hearing a bit of a rattle under the hood at idle for quite some time, but it's gotten to be very loud and concerning. I narrowed it down to the passenger side of the engine, and when I run the engine without the serpentine belt the noise goes away. The only part of the drive belt...
  8. Engine Turns Over, Rough Idle, Stalls Out

So today it actually decided to turn over and stay running. It's possible I had assembled something incorrectly on the top side and after reassembling the throttle body and air intake system I did it correctly this time. I don't know honestly. What I do know is my compression readings are good...
  9. Engine Turns Over, Rough Idle, Stalls Out

I am relatively new to the forum and have another thread posted on my engine, but was able to resolve that issue and am now dealing with something else. So long story short, I blow a head gasket, break down on the side of the road, and dad tows me home (I'm 16). I pull the heads, they're...
  10. New Cylinder Heads = No Compression???

Did the straight edge test; all are level. Just for clarification, can failed lifters cause zero compression??? As well as what should my next steps be???
  11. New Cylinder Heads = No Compression???

Sorry... At school right now... couldn't do it it yesterday because I had a HUGE paper due... Imma do that after school today
  12. New Cylinder Heads = No Compression???

When installing the lifters is there any special steps to "prime" them with oil or fill them with oil or just slip them in the slots and they are filled with oil in the process of oil cirulation???
  13. New Cylinder Heads = No Compression???

I purchased new lifters and am waiting for them to arrive. I cleaned the old ones in kerosene when I took the heads off the first time, but they are still very stiff.
  14. New Cylinder Heads = No Compression???

My apologies for the double post - technical difficulties
  15. New Cylinder Heads = No Compression???

The valves have never seen use in an engine. They are unused castings. I purchased the bare heads and assembled the valvetrain myself. I am sorry about the confusion on the liquid test. I did exactly what you did 55Trucker with the only difference is that I used brake clean because my mechanic...
  16. New Cylinder Heads = No Compression???

These valves have not been used at all... I installed them into the head... My mechanic friend said I didn't need to grind the seats as both the valves and heads were new. Sorry for the confusion, but I did the warm water test just with brake clean as it is thinner and my friend said to... I...
  17. New Cylinder Heads = No Compression???

The valves and heads are brand new so then the installed height is correct. I tested that the heads were sealed with the valves in by pouring brake clean into the grooves; it did not leak
  18. New Cylinder Heads = No Compression???

to 19walt93's bit about the pushrod gap; would replacing the lifter fix that if the lifter is worn close up that gap?
  19. New Cylinder Heads = No Compression???

The shim kit won't work. To my knowledge, I installed the valves correctly. It seemed rather simple and I followed the manual: compress spring, remove keepers, remove valve, replace valve stem seal, then reassemble it. I am not aware of any height adjustment of the valves on these heads. I...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad