• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Mechrick

Rick's 5.0/C6 swap 1985 BII

Mustang convertible mounts did the trick.
  2. Mechrick

89 B2 diesel build thread

Watching this thread. Does the OM-617 fit behind the radiator with a mechanical fan? -Curious to see what MPG you get with it.
  3. Mechrick

2.5L ('98-'01) 2.5l bearing clearances

Most Ford engines before the Modular family run main/rod bearing clearances around .0008"-.0015". On a performance build for the street, the loose end of that specification is better. Note, end play is the term for the forward/aft clearance of the crankshaft. That spec is .003"-.008". The above...
  4. Mechrick

2.3L ('83-'97) Camshaft help!

I assume the shims are needed because the base circle changed. I would assemble a few valves in the head with a fixed HLA (gut it and stack washers in the body of the lifter until when assembled, the follower just touches the valve tip). Rotate the cam carefully by hand and see if the retainer...
  5. Mechrick

2.3L ('83-'97) Electric fan conversion questions

Four cylinder Mustangs came from the factory with an electric fan. You would have to build a circuit to turn it on with engine temp or A/C on, but that's how I would do it.
  6. Mechrick

Engine stutters at about 3K RPM

If your engine is equipped with EGR, try unplugging the vacuum line and driving it. Sometimes the spring in the valve gets weak with age and allows the valve to open too far. Excessive exhaust back pressure can do the same thing.
  7. Mechrick

Replay buzzing from passenger side causing the bronco to buck and sometimes die

Weak ground to the PCM. The PCM grounds at the negative battery cable through a black connector.
  8. Mechrick

Replay buzzing from passenger side causing the bronco to buck and sometimes die

The EEC power relay and fuel pump relay are up there on the older ones. Usually when a relay starts occilating like that it's a weak ground...
  9. Mechrick

Installing Fuel Injection in old carburetted Fords

Dorman makes them. Most parts stores don't stock them, but they can be ordered.
  10. Mechrick

Installing Fuel Injection in old carburetted Fords

There are a few situations that crop up when installing a high pressure fuel system in vehicles that were originally carburetted from the factory. I recently did an EFI installation on my BII which can be seen here...
  11. Mechrick

86 B2 refuses to run right at 20k miles

1-2-4 are on one driver and 3-5-6 on the other, so not separated by bank. I would test for a drippy injector. You would have to lift the upper intake out of the way, and pull the injectors out of the lower intake still connected to the fuel rail (disconnect them electrically). Place some...
  12. Mechrick

86 B2 refuses to run right at 20k miles

Ignore items that are common to all cylinders. It sounds like the left bank is down on power compared to the right. Is there separate converters for left/right banks? Maybe the left is restricted. 2.9s can crack heads, does it use coolant? I believe the left and right banks are on different ECM...
  13. Mechrick

2.3L ('83-'97) Just feeling froggy Wana boost?

You won't be happy with it. The thing will ping if the wind blows. I did this experiment with 9:1 flat tops (Speed Pros). The factory pistons are fragile. Running 6 psi with premium fuel and aftermarket injection I couldn't keep it from pinging. With the 2.3L it's always best to drive...
  14. Mechrick

2.3L ('83-'97) Idles high, runs decent, sometimes stalls when starting from a dead stop, when it stalls refuses to start by cranking with the key

Check the harness that runs from the crankshaft sensor up the left side of the engine. I've seen these get oil-soaked and fall apart. In general, get it running and wiggle harnesses to see if you can get it to stall. It sounds like the rock of the engine starting out is disturbing something...
  15. Mechrick

Bronco V8 fuel injection swap

Lawd, no. Then I would have to actually spend money... I'm not against the throttle body setups that are out there, but in this case I had all the components lying around except the intake. Quick trip to the pick-a-part solved that. -And, no throttle body setup will be as good as port...
  16. Mechrick

I had two full size Broncos, one with a 5.0/E4OD/31x10.50-15 and the other with a carbed 300 and ZF 5 speed and 33x12.50-15's. Both averaged 16.5 highway. Explorer 5.0's are rated 18 mpg highway. If I can't get 17 or better highway I'll go back to a fullsize.
  17. Mechrick

2016 Ford F-150 P0430

Cat efficiency codes can be a pain. I scanned the chart for that code, it has you checking fuel pressure, for exhaust leaks, exhaust back pressure, etc. Never mentions sensors except for checking the fuel rail pressure sensor for bias. Has it started using oil? From the verbiage of the...
  18. Mechrick

Thank you, I enjoy sharing. One of the reasons I like HEI is you don't need all this: The distributor I used came from the long block (1992 Bronco 5.0), which used an external module. Since I had all the parts to complete wiring this way (my '88 460 F250 uses the same module and I had a...
  19. Mechrick

Hi all. Due to the price of fuel, I took the time to covert my BII to fuel injection over the past week. Thought I'd share the process (although there are many routes to accomplish this). I'll miss the simplicity of the HEI and four-barrel, but I'm hoping for a 3-4 MPG bump over the 14 MPG I've...
  20. Mechrick

4.10 gears on limited slip 7.5 differential

The other option is a notched pin. The notch is so the pin can be installed before the ring gear. You rotate the pin left and right so the axles can be pushed in and the C clips installed, then turn the pin 90 degrees and install the retaining bolt. There is a running debate on which is...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad