• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. SBC swap because...

Why, are you a brand-loyalist? That makes as little sense to me as racism. I can't sell this Ranger, but I can give it a better engine and transmission. The only reason the LS isn't best is because the water pump needed for the timinh cover that accepts a 351W distributor is no longer...
  2. 4.6 2v swap in a 97 ranger

Got it cheap isn't cheap when it takes an extra hundred hours of labor. Sell it and use the proceeds to buy something that fits. PI heads don't flow better than GT40Ps can, so there's no power advantage to a 2V 4.6L. GT40Ps can't flow as well as L31s do, making the L31 the most power potential...
  3. V8 Conversion Headers

When did any of the big 3 ever center the engine in the bay? At least 99% of the time it's offset to the passenger side for steering and brake clearance. Not only that, it helps offset the weight of the driver. Which side is the 4x4 front drive shaft on? Which side is the fuel tank on? Most...
  4. 2001 Ranger 5.0 Swap HELP!!!

This pretty well illustrates why 99% of all swaps that must keep EFI and pass emissions inspection use the GM LS V8. The better option is to register the truck somewhere that doesn't care about the details.
  5. 93 Regular cab 2wd 351 swap coil springs

Once you find Moog's part number for any stock Ranger coil, you can go on Moog's master list and find every coil they make, with dimensions and load ratings. Doesn't give applications, but that doesn't matter. As you go up in spring rate, you can come down in installed height, or if you start...
  6. SBC swap because...

So after the dually, I had a dental emergency cost me most of $600, then I scored a set of 4 new General Grabber AT2 27x8.50R14LT tires for $67 at Pick-N-Pull, and I got 2 of those on this Ranger yesterday. I hope to get the other 2 done this afternoon. Pics after. I really wanted to find the...
  7. SBC swap because...

And a half dozen 5.3L LS engines.
  8. SBC swap because...

I've found several SBC ranger builds, and it was a pic of welding 2 little steel plates to the frame, in an empty engine bay, that decided me. None of the builds showed a 2WD '93-'97, so I'm sort of pioneering. At PNP yesterday, I found a pair of FEs, an EFI 460, a pair of EFI 5.8s, an '87...
  9. SBC swap because...

Went to Pick-N-Pull with $400 cash in hand, found 4 Vortec 350s, but then I saw a set of 6 new LT235/85R16Es on dually wheels for $350. Exactly what my work truck needs. By the time they added environmental fees it came to $407, but the money this saved me will cover the cost of the 350 and the...
  10. Rear gear choices?

Try the 3.08s. then realize you need more first gear. Then swap in a T5. If you'd get your cruise RPM to ~1900@65 MPH, assuming a mild cam, you can get your MPG to mid-20s at 65 MPH. Lower it and add a hard tonneau (plywood) if you want more MPG.
  11. Any machinist on here?

I've been a UAW trained automotive machinist since 2000, and a salvage yard lurker since 1990. There are plenty of good EFI 302s in the yards that still show the original honing cross-hatch in the notes. Those are fine to hone and run without boring. The loss of quench would cause more...
  12. SBC swap because...

700R-4. Hi, I'm an automotive machinist and shadetree engine swapper, I'm 43, I don't dislike the Windsor V8s, but I do hate the AOD and the electronics in the 4R70W. Sure, I could adapt the 700R-4 to a Windsor, but this build in on a salvage yard budget, and the Vortec 350 heads out-flow the...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad