• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Replaced VR and then Alternator - still no charge

Fixed! After verifying that fuse #7 was fine, I replaced the #3 fuse. All good and charging away now. Thanks for all the help here.
  2. Replaced VR and then Alternator - still no charge

Thanks for the schematic. Yep, that's what I've got here on the '89. There were definitely two 60A fuses in there.
  3. Replaced VR and then Alternator - still no charge

I only had a few minutes to do some quick diags this morning before the rain picked up (truck is outside). I found ZERO voltage on the dual B+ circuits, as measured at the alternator connector. I then checked the mega circuit box and found that one of the 60A fuses had blown. I'll swap in a...
  4. Replaced VR and then Alternator - still no charge

Printed this out and wrote down some testing notes. I presume if the fuse had failed on the Grn/Red circuit that goes back through the instrument cluster, the battery light wouldn't even come on, yes? I'll check that fuse regardless, but just wanted to know if the fuse was really in play as...
  5. Replaced VR and then Alternator - still no charge

Just re-reading this and I realize you probably are thinking this is a 3G alternator. It's not - it's a 2G. If it was my truck (it's my neighbor's), I would upgrade to a 3G, but trying to keep this as close to stock as possible.
  6. Replaced VR and then Alternator - still no charge

Thanks for the excellent and detailed diagnostic path. I need to take my own advise and do actual diags first rather than being a brainless parts swapper.
  7. Replaced VR and then Alternator - still no charge

'89 w/ 2.3 engine and without obvious cause, the battery charging light is illuminated. Verified no-charge condition at battery. Knowing it's most often the voltage regulator that fails, I first tried swapping that. No change. I tried re-freshing the contacts on both connectors and dabbed a...
  8. '89 - '94 Steering Column Removal

Thanks for the details. It's a like-for-like swap in a base 5-speed truck. The existing column got busted up when someone apparently tried to steal the truck. It's my neighbor's truck that I work on, so exact details are short.
  9. '89 - '94 Steering Column Removal

I'm planning to head to the junkyard this weekend to remove a steering column. Any unusual tools I should bring along? It's all metric, yes? I'm hoping to find a donor from a 5-speed truck, but how usable would a column be from an automatic? Can the shifter portion just be removed or is it...
  10. Ignition button plan; need help!

Thanks for confirming what I suspected was the case. Pre-'95 Rangers have gotten somewhat scarce in the junkyards due to their age, so it's good to have options.
  11. Ignition button plan; need help!

Thanks for all the input. I'm not sure why these sort of discussions become somewhat heated, but it doesn't really phase me, so no biggie. Given that this is not my truck (it's my neighbor's), I actually am now leaning more towards getting a junkyard column and keeping it stock. I see that...
  12. Ignition button plan; need help!

Yes. Flipping the toggle switch turns everything off (including the engine). At least I assume that's how "tw205" has his configured.
  13. Ignition button plan; need help!

I get your point and I won't rule it out. I would also need to get a new lock tumbler and key, unless I got lucky enough to get a steering column that came with a key. Anyone know offhand if the similar era F-150 uses the same tumbler? I may have a spare set that I pulled from a ~1990 F-150.
  14. Ignition button plan; need help!

Thanks for the details. In my case, the old cylinder is gone and the area of the casting that holds it is broken apart somewhat. Regardless, I'm pretty sure I could manually fix things to the Run position as you did. Did you have any concerns about it moving out of that position on it's own...
  15. Ignition button plan; need help!

Bumping this old thread as I'm looking to do a push-button ignition conversion to my neighbor's '89 2.3. Why, you ask? We think someone tried to steal the truck and completely busted out the ignition tumbler and casting. As such, I'd need to replace the whole assembly if I wanted to repair it...
  16. 2.9 Turbo Project

No, the back side was machined a small amount to interference-fit an off-the-shelf (low volume) 36-1 trigger ring. There's a few different vendors that fabricate them such as this one... https://www.emeraldm3d.com/36-1-trigger-wheels.html Ah, right. I never got far enough along with that idea...
  17. 2.9 Turbo Project

Correct, EDIS-6, so need or use for a cam sensor input. I actually contacted Shannon about building a 36-1 for the distributor rather than the 24-2 that you have. He indicated that it would need to be too heavy and he wasn't comfortable with slinging that much weight around. It might work...
  18. TFI ---> EDIS conversion?

I presume you're talking about this thread, yes? https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/tfi-to-edis-thought-experiment.183926/
  19. 2.9 Turbo Project

Just found this thread. Thought you might be interested in what I'm doing.... http://forum.merkurclub.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=42772&start=60
  20. TFI to EDIS Thought Experiment

I've made some significant progress on this project. Relative to the most recently discussed topics ^^^, I discovered that indeed the 4L OHV EEC-IV dummy plug or cam sync DOES work as-is. I think my issue was with my old mock-up 2.9 engine that may have had some gunk built up. The EEC-V cam...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad