• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Broken flywheel teeth and pinging

heres an automatic starter for comparison
  2. Broken flywheel teeth and pinging

Ok, so I’ve examined the photos I have of both starters I installed. Both look correct and are not the longer one for automatics. I think its safe to say the starters I used were correct and should not have caused repeated flywheel teeth loss.
  3. Broken flywheel teeth and pinging

Plate between the block and the transmission was reinstalled after any work, so rules that out. I might try one last time replacing the flywheel and ensuring I get the right starter. I’m fairly confident the starters I’ve been using are correct but I’ve been sold trash parts before. I’m almost...
  4. Broken flywheel teeth and pinging

Yes sorry, fuel and spark disabled. Makes the same noise with both enabled.
  5. Broken flywheel teeth and pinging

I checked on both starters that the part numbers on the starter were correct for the 5spd but I could have been sold the wrong part and was not able to put two of them side by side. Still odd that the napa starter I bought first worked for a few months with no issues… then again who knows...
  6. Broken flywheel teeth and pinging

Not while driving, only when starting. I was the only driver. heres a video of the sound, listen for the random impacts while cranking: https://streamable.com/kf2k57
  7. Broken flywheel teeth and pinging

Timeline of what happened: - Bought 1991 Ford Explorer 4.0 ohv / 5spd in January 2021 in good condition. - Starter gives out a couple months later, seemingly just due to age. Replaced it with a napa reman. All is fine for a few months. - Engine starts having a pinging issue under load...
  8. 99 Explorer loses all gears when hot

I tried this and its exactly as you described, fluid level changes when it starts slipping and the transmission sounds (literally) like the pump is shot. Started noticing an almost pump cavitation-like noise coming from the transmission when in any forward/reverse gear. Would rebuilding the...
  9. 99 Explorer loses all gears when hot

Bought this car same day I posted this thread (paid well below market value, even with a shot trans). Anyway just checked the level while it was warmed up and running in park, it was 2 inches above the max level :secret: I wonder if that says anything... Next step might be to drain some of that...
  10. 99 Explorer loses all gears when hot

Figured I’d ask here as well since explorers are so similar to rangers. I have a 99 Explorer Sport with 4.0L, 150k and 5R55-something auto trans. Drives fine for about a mile, then loses all gears until it cools off for a while. Not to keen on replacing the entire transmission if I don’t have...
  11. Cracked head?

Head gasket appears to be blown, causing 30psi compression on 3 of 4 cyls. Saw this same mark next to 2 different bolts while cleaning the head. Do I have a cracked head as well? Photo of the head gasket:
  12. 1992 2.3l, 30psi dry/40psi wet compression? (updated info)

Update regarding a previous post: Bought a 2.3l ranger for dirt cheap and found 30psi compression on Cylinder 1, 2 and 3. Cylinder 4 has 170psi dry. Compression rises 10 psi on all cylinders when oil is added (wet test). Seller states he was driving it up a hill on a "hot day" and the engine...
  13. 1992 2.3l Ranger, 30psi compression on 3/4 cylinders

Update, conducted a wet test. The 30psi cylinders rose about 10psi when a table spoon of oil was added to the cyls.
  14. 1992 2.3l Ranger, 30psi compression on 3/4 cylinders

First post! Bought a 92 Ranger Custom for $150 on craigslist with the 2.3l engine and auto trans. Seller claims "it made a noise and quit running while driving up a hill on a hot day, I replaced the timing belt" Not sure why he replaced the timing belt, so I'm assuming it was broken. Timing belt...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad