• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Otto57

4wd module

Are the 4wd modules specific for year of ranger or is there some interchange between years? I have a 1997 4.0 ranger 4wd. Thanks
  2. Otto57

Running rough

1997 ranger 4wd 4.0 runs rough. Sometimes cranks for a long time before starting. Pulled codes. Cylinders 6 2 and 1 misfire, egr insufficient flow and O2 sensor. Has new coil pack and plugs. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  3. Otto57

2.3L ('83-'97) Carb issue?

I have a 1988 ranger with a 2.3 from a 77 pinto. Roller cam and followers from a 94 and a ported head. It has a holley 5200 carb and I'm try to figure out my severe hesitation problem. Jet size maybe? Seems to run a little better with timing way advanced. At low speed it runs good til I...
  4. Otto57

2.3L ('83-'97) Keeps cranking

Carbed 2.3 with no spark keeps cranking with the key out. Replaced coil, ignition module key switch and relay on fenderwell. What else could cause these problems? It was starting up fine until I had a fuel leak from the tank. Replaced the tank and send unit and it started and ran to the street...
  5. Otto57

2.3L ('83-'97) No spark

I'm really losing patience with my 88 ranger. Rebuilt 2.3 and it was running pretty good and after two days of driving it to work it started leaking gas from a rusted tank. New gas tank, sending unit and fuel line and drove it one day and now it won't start. No spark. Tested the coil and it was...
  6. Otto57

2.3L ('83-'97) Hesitation problem

Just finished rebuilding a 2.3 for my 1988 ranger. I used a roller cam and followers from a 94 2.3 and has a ported head with a holley 5200 carb. Currently set the timing at 10 degrees and no emissions crap and egr removed and sealed off. Truck runs great except it has a bad hesitation if I hit...
  7. Otto57

2.3L ('83-'97) Hesitation issue

I have a 1988 ranger 2wd that originally had a 2.0 and I rebuilt a 1977 pinto 2.3 for it. I used a 1994 2.3 roller cam and follower setup, ported head, Holley 5200 carb and 1994 ranger header. I also deleted the egr and ditched the air pump and all emissions. Truck runs good except for a...
  8. Otto57

2.3L ('83-'97) Oil pan gasket

I purchased a fel pro one piece oil pan gasket for a 2.3 and I can't believe what a pain it is. Gasket keeps sliding around. There are no holes for the bolts. The gasket is shaped to go around the holes so I can't see what would hold it in place until it is tight. Please help. My sanity is in...
  9. Otto57

2.3L ('83-'97) 2.3L valve springs

Currently rebuilding an early 2.3L and I'm upgrading to a roller camshaft. I wanted to replace the valve springs but can't seem to find anyone that has new original style. Anyone have any sources or leads to where I might find them? Thanks in advance
  10. Otto57

2.3L ('83-'97) Valve spring question

I'm currently rebuilding a 1977 2.3 from a pinto to put in my 1988 ranger. I plan to use a roller cam from a 1994 ranger 2.3 and was wondering if I could also use the valve springs from the 1994 2.3 but it looks like they might be taller. Maybe they are just stronger and have a different free...
  11. Otto57

2.3L ('83-'97) Oil pan gasket question

I am currently rebuilding a early 2.3 for my 88 ranger and it requires a 4 piece gasket for the oil pan.I had to replace the front lower case with the front oil seal and did not notice that it was made for the one piece gasket. I'm concerned that the rubber front pan gasket might move as there...
  12. Otto57

2.3L ('83-'97) Crankshaft pulley removal

I have never seen a crank pulley that looks like this.( file photo ). There are no holes to hook up a puller. Any ideas how to remove it?
  13. Otto57

2.3L ('83-'97) 2.3L crankshaft question

I'm currently rebuilding a 1977 2.3L to replace my bad 2.0. The 2.3 crank has some nicks and scratches and some rust on it near the front main seal and I'm wondering if the 2.0 crank will bolt right up. If so, should I use the 2.0 rods to match the crank or just use the 2.3 rods. Any help would...
  14. Otto57

2.3L ('83-'97) Replacement carb

I'm installing a 2.3 pinto engine into a 88 ranger and I'm looking for a recommendation for a good replacement carburetor. Engine is bored .030 over and ported and polished head with a roller cam. Thanks
  15. Otto57

Stubborn crankshaft pulley

Does anyone know a good way to remove a crankshaft pulley from an early 2.3 that has no holes other than the center hole. The bolt has been removed but it is very stubborn. I am used to using a puller that attaches to threaded holes in the pulley. I am not going to use the pulley because i...
  16. Otto57

Engine assembly lube

Which engine assembly lube is the preferred choice? there are so many out there how am I supposed to know which one is the best
  17. Otto57

2.3L front sump swap to rear sump

I have an early 2.3 I'm going to be putting into a ranger switching it from a front sump to a rear sump I know I need the pickup tubes for the oil pump but what do I do about the dipstick tube hole on the Block ? It has a hole at the rear location but it seems to be plugged. does the plug...
  18. Otto57

2.3L cylinder bore

I am trying to rebuild a early 2.3 and after measuring the cylinders I got a measurement of 3.781 which my book says is almost at max. I have not honed it out yet so my question is do I need to have it bored or can I just hone it and go with .010 over rings? There are also some light scratches...
  19. Otto57

2.3L cam swap

Anyone know anything about swapping a ranger roller cam into a early 2.3L from a pinto.
  20. Otto57

Auxiliary shaft broken

Has anyone had trouble with a auxiliary shaft breaking in half? What could cause this and where am I going to find another one. This is for an early carbureted 2.3 with a distributor. I have been looking online and cannot find one. I guess I'm going to have to try the junkyard. Any help would be...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad