• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Otto57

4wd module

Are the 4wd modules specific for year of ranger or is there some interchange between years? I have a 1997 4.0 ranger 4wd. Thanks
  2. Otto57

Running rough

Found 3 bad vacuum lines. One was to the fuel regulator. Better but still a little rough. Gonna check to see if the plugs fouled out from the fuel regulator not having vacuum.
  3. Otto57

Running rough

Have not checked the fuel pressure yet. Changed the filter only.
  4. Otto57

Running rough

1997 ranger 4wd 4.0 runs rough. Sometimes cranks for a long time before starting. Pulled codes. Cylinders 6 2 and 1 misfire, egr insufficient flow and O2 sensor. Has new coil pack and plugs. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  5. Otto57

2.3L ('83-'97) Carb issue?

Yes, I thought that myself. I think I got it all figured out. Had a lot of dirt in float bowl and cleaned it out and cleaned the jets. Seems to be running ok now. Gonna try to drive it to work in the morning and give it a good test.
  6. Otto57

2.3L ('83-'97) Carb issue?

I have a 1988 ranger with a 2.3 from a 77 pinto. Roller cam and followers from a 94 and a ported head. It has a holley 5200 carb and I'm try to figure out my severe hesitation problem. Jet size maybe? Seems to run a little better with timing way advanced. At low speed it runs good til I...
  7. Otto57

2.3L ('83-'97) Keeps cranking

Well, it's all new now and I have a lot of spare parts. I don't know about the expert part. After I put the distributor in, it still would not start and then I realized I forgot to plug in the leads. I can laugh about it now.
  8. Otto57

Replaced entire ignition system but it runs great now. What a relief.
  9. Otto57

It's alive! Ok, so I replaced the entire ignition system. Turned out to be the distributor pickup that was causing the no spark problem. The starter relay was also bad and was causing it to keep cranking. Thanks everyone for your input and help.
  10. Otto57

Right. Way too much and still won't start
  11. Otto57

I have no idea about a ballast resistor. I'm wondering about the distributor pickup. About the only thing I haven't replaced
  12. Otto57

Update. So now I have replaced the starter relay and ignition switch and the constant cranking has stopped. I still have a no spark issue. I have now replaced the coil, ignition module, distributor cap and rotor, key switch, ignition switch and starter relay. I checked for voltage at the coil...
  13. Otto57

I bypassed the RELAY on the fenderwell and the starter kept cranking when I released from it. It is getting constant power at the starter after releasing the power from the relay. So, the relay is sticking and sending nonstop power to the starter or the power from the ignition switch to the...
  14. Otto57

Thank you. I'm confused enough.
  15. Otto57

So, the wire at the s terminal on the relay could be removed and try to start it, then turn it off and check for voltage on that wire. If there is still 12 volts then the ignition switch on the lower column is bad right? The starter cannot turn unless it has voltage coming into it from upstream.
  16. Otto57

Yes, I jumped relay on fenderwell small S wire terminal to positive and it kept cranking. I don't understand how the starter solenoid could be the problem because it won't run unless it is getting constant power.
  17. Otto57

Correct. At first it was ok and I tried it again and it kept cranking
  18. Otto57

Ok, guess I have another bad relay. Kept cranking when I bypassed the relay. If I'm not mistaken the relay also sends voltage to the coil and I have no spark
  19. Otto57

Got it. Anxious to try it tonight. Thank you
  20. Otto57

Ok, I will try it when I get home from work. So if it turns over normally and stops, then the relay is bad. Correct? Thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad