• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. 8thTon

I Gotta Admit I Really Like The Vulcan

I remember well laughing about this antique when it came out around '86. I couldn't believe they had designed such a throwback - iron block and heads, pushrods and 2 valves per cylinder. But I get it now - it was an inexpensive power source for mass produced vehicles, and even though the...
  2. 8thTon

130A Alternator?

While reassembling the engine after a timing cover gasket replacement (3.0) I took a look at the alternator - it's about at the end of its life with not much left of the brushes and big grooves worn near through the slip rings. Given how easy it is to replace I'm going to get a cheap...
  3. 8thTon

Mild Clicking on Deceleration

When pulling to a stop I hear a mild click, which is obviously at driveshaft speed. It's not loud, and it never does it with any power applied, but if I'm out of the throttle I can hear it. Is this likely to be the pinion bearing or just wear on the gear faces?
  4. 8thTon

Timing Cover Coolant Leak

Well the slow seep has finally become a more significant leak, so I guess it's time. Can someone school me about how to handle the oil pan gasket? Should I plan on cutting out the old front section and splicing in a new piece, or does it depend on how much it gets disturbed when I pull the...
  5. 8thTon

Remove Evaporator Housing without Pulling Heater Hoses

My AC has leaked since I got it, and it was filled with dye then too. I've never been able to see any leak though. I replaced the accumulator and seals because it was easy, and it blew cold for a week or two and then leaked down again. So now I want to try the evaporator since a leak there...
  6. 8thTon

Clutch Pedal Dropped to Floor

Gonna ask this here since most forums don't have the knowledge this place does: My wife has a 2016 Fiesta ST and this morning she called and said the clutch pedal went to the floor. She pulled over and pulled the pedal back up by hand. She pumped a few times, and all felt and worked fine -...
  7. 8thTon

When Did Driving With Emergency Flashers Become a Thing?

Every time it's a little slippery half the vehicles are driving around with their emergency flashers on. "Hey thanks, I would never have noticed if it weren't for your flashers!" So now in addition to all the things you have to pay attention to there are lights flashing everywhere. We had a...
  8. 8thTon

Ranger ABS - Is It Just Lousy?

My experience with my 2WD Edge a daily driver for about a year is that the ABS seems to kick in easily, and when it does the brakes are mostly disabled. I'm trying to figure out first if this is just in my head - have others experienced this? If it's not just my imagination, then why? This is...
  9. 8thTon

Mileage Drop - Winter Blend Fuel Time

I noticed about 1mpg less on my fill up yesterday, and that's right on schedule for winter blend fuel. Once you add in colder weather it'll get worse than that.
  10. 8thTon

Inner Tie Rod Ends - Advice?

I'm doing inner (and outer) tie rod ends. I got Motorcraft inners with the new boot. I stopped by Harbor Freight and picked up the tool. The instructions say to use hand force only, but there is a 1/2" square hole in the end. I'm worried about putting too much force on the rack - should I...
  11. 8thTon

This is a Good, Responsive Forum - Thank You to All Who Help!

I got a reminder that not all forums are as active and useful as this one when I tried to get help on another vehicle. My son's girlfriend got a 2008 G6, which is pretty nice but has a few things to be fixed. One of those is clearly a GM firmware bug in the PCM, and I'm trying to get some help...
  12. 8thTon

Misfire Mystery

We had another round or torrential rains and flooding here in PA, and the drive home was rough. I went through one particular deep spot not far from home, and although I went slowly after I got out I could feel a misfire. Shortly after I had a flashing CEL and it barely ran (probably in...
  13. 8thTon

4.0 SOHC vs 3.0

The SOHC has always perplexed me - they went to all the trouble to switch to OHC, with all the added complexity and reliability issues of the chain drive system. And for all that they got 2 valves per cylinder, all in a line and perfectly parallel. I'm sure they got better port shapes, but in...
  14. 8thTon

Is This Cam Synchro a Replacement?

I posted this yesterday in my other thread when I inspected it, but it got buried. Do the markings indicate it is a replacement? If so why "Remfg"?
  15. 8thTon

3 Months with the 3.0

I've had this truck for 3 months now, and done a bunch of stuff to it - none of it major. Brakes all around, front wheel bearings, radiator, fixed the rear window leak, plus a bunch of electrical and lighting stuff. Dealt with loose sway bar links up front and leveled the driver's side torsion...
  16. 8thTon

End Play At Rear Wheels

I have just noticed that there seems to be quite a bit of play at both rear wheels. If I jack it up and remove the parking brake I can move the rear wheel in ad out quite a bit. I have not tried to measure it but it seems excessive - you can hear them thunk back and forth. I have never messed...
  17. 8thTon

Cam Synchro - Not Exactly Accessible....

I was checking out the territory as I need to attend to this job. Had to get something to stand on, and this is the view I have: That harness may as well be cast iron for all the movement I can get on it. Maybe on a warmer day? Job looks like a PITA. At least the bolt is easy to get to...
  18. 8thTon

Saw a 3.4 SHO V8 in the Junkyard.....

Just daydreaming but thought that would be a cool and unusual swap. Probably would fit without too much difficulty.
  19. 8thTon

Fractured Arm Rest / Console Cover

I realized the other day that the arm rest on my 2004 felt kinda lumpy, and in fact there was a junk of the plastic support under the pad that was broken right out if it - right where your elbow would go. It took some doing to get the cover apart (there are 4 torx screws under the foam), and I...
  20. 8thTon

Cleaning the MAFS - I'll Be Damned!

OK, I admit it - I read about cleaning the MAFS and snickered a bit. But then I read a little more and realized it made sense, so I tried it. I'm pretty surprised in the difference it made in throttle response. I swear the transmission is responding differently too - more willing to kick down...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad