• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Nez'sRanger

RoadActive Suspension

Anyone here ever use RoadActive suspension systems in your truck? If so, what are your thoughts? https://activesuspension.com/products/ford-ranger-pickup-1983-2012 I'd hate to buy it for almost $600 if it doesn't work.
  2. Nez'sRanger

5w-40 European oil in a 2.9?

Has anyone run 5w-40 European car oil in a 2.9? I'm currently running standard 10w-40 in mine, but the idea of 5w for cold starts sounds nice especially for winter. 40 weight seems to shut up the ticking nice. Any reason not to? Thanks!
  3. Nez'sRanger

Upgrading 89 RABS to 4 Wheel ABS

Is it possible to upgrade an old 89 RABS to the later 4 Wheel ABS? I would love the added braking quality/safety, but I fear the newer abs controllers may in fact be tied into the OBDII system. I'm interested in upgrading the front discs to the dual piston calipers from a 95 (as well as a rear...
  4. Nez'sRanger

89 Ranger towing options

I want to buy a new hitch mount for my 89 2.9 extended cab. The one that came with it looked a little too rigged for my liking (like a diy welding job). They even took a torch and cut out pieces of the bumper. Is there a factory/factory endorsed towing package that I can look for? I'd want the...
  5. Nez'sRanger

Fuel pump issue?

Hey all! My ranger has been running beautifully for months now that I worked most of it's bugs out. This morning, I drive it to work, no problem. But, when I got in and fired it up to go to lunch, and it ran for a little bit, and then it died. It's got a full tank, so I'm assuming the pump just...
  6. Nez'sRanger

Engaging manual transfer case in motion

I got an 89 2.9 4x4 manual tranny with a manual transfer case. I can't seem to find whether or not it can be engaged or disengaged while in motion. That would be helpful info, especially with how the roads are maintained here in the winter. You can need 4x4 on all back roads, but the main roads...
  7. Nez'sRanger

Cold start up issues

Well, it's getting colder here in PA, which has apparently revived an old issue I had forgotten about. It will start up instantaneously, and really strong, but then die when the idle tries to lower (within seconds). I'll restart it, fires right up, never gives issue again till the next morning...
  8. Nez'sRanger

European 2.9 fuel rail?

I found this while searching the UK ebay for 2.9 parts... It looks to be an awesome 2.9 fuel rail! I Love it! Thoughts? I put his item description in google translator: "Refurbished Ford SCORPIO, SIERRA MK1 2.9i V6 injector holder for intake manifold / air collector. The flange has been...
  9. Nez'sRanger

Cylinder head options

Hey guys! While I'm a ways off from actually getting started, I plan on rebuilding a spare 2.9 I have and putting some serious performance upgrades into it. Drawing tons of ideas from Petroleum junkie! I know one of the limiting factors will be heads. I've come across several online that claim...
  10. Nez'sRanger

Swapping 2010 ranger rear axle on 89 ranger

I have a 1989 4x4 ranger with 3.73s (obviously, a 7.5"). I'm considering the options on a rear axle swap that will both strengthen the rear end, and give me rear discs. With the digging I've done so far, I think my purposes will be met by a 2010 rear axle swap. maybe an 8.8 with discs and the...
  11. Nez'sRanger

2.9 tripminder mod

I installed a tripminder on my 89 2.9 ranger a while back, and subsequently discovered that my ecu doesn't put out the info for fuel consumption... Bummer... Does anyone know if any year 2.9 ecu has that output info? Or, hey @PetroleumJunkie412 , does the megasquirt ecu have that output info?
  12. Nez'sRanger

2.9 engine weight

I am going to pick up a spare motor at the scrap yard. As part of the logistics for storing/shipping it, I need to know what it weighs... Does anyone know what that may be?
  13. Nez'sRanger

Issues... Issues... Issues

Despite all my efforts, my truck is still not running well. Here, I want to list all that I did to my truck that resulted in the problem, and then go over all I did to troubleshoot. Hopefully with yinz's help, I'll be able to figure this out! My truck was running well for the longest time, but...
  14. Nez'sRanger

Electric fan options well suited to 2.9's

I've been scrolling through some old posts on here, and I'm really close to putting an electric fan in my truck. The tech article with the Volvo fan appeals to me, cause I really like the Volvo relay and it's two speed capability. But! I don't like how much surface area is taken up by shroud...
  15. Nez'sRanger

Wiring harnesses

I'm currently working on replacing all the under hood wiring harnesses on my 89 2.9 ranger. I'm looking for the harnesses that go on the engine, and plug into all the sensors. Does anyone have part numbers for any of the engine harnesses? My ultimate goal is to replace them all, NOS. I know...
  16. Nez'sRanger

Instrument cluster corroded circuitry

I had my 1989 gauge cluster out a while back to convert it to led's... While it was out, I discovered that the copper circuitry on the plastic was seriously eroded/corroded on the back. I have several indicator lights that are fried because of this... Does anybody know how to fix that other...
  17. Nez'sRanger

Engine surges and stalls at cold idle

On my 1989 2.9 Ranger, I lifted the engine and changed the oil pump and oil pan gasket. It ran beautifully before I did that, but when I lowered it back down and reassembled it, she wouldn't run right. I finally got the timing right, but it was a fiasco, since it didn't want to stay running...
  18. Nez'sRanger

TPS sensor wire order

I unwired the tps plug to put a new plug on, however, I forgot the order that the three wires go. Would anyone be willing to check theirs out and let me know what order the wires go? I checked, and the evtm has nothing on this. Thank you!
  19. Nez'sRanger

Oil pump recommendations

Hey guys! I'm about to change the oil pan gasket in my truck, and I figured, might as well replace the 30 year old (and probably caked up with crap) oil pump. I caught a few quick mentions of guys using higher volume/pressure pumps in a 2.9, but I haven't been able to find them again to double...
  20. Nez'sRanger

Tachometer showing wrong RPM

My 89 2.9 has this strange problem with the tachometer. When I first start it, usually when cold, the tach will give me a reading nearly 2,000 higher than it really is. It usually normalizes later on, but it's pretty annoying. Any idea what's up?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad