• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Ford 8.8 ring gear contact patch always favors heel edge

Awesome, in that case I will set set get a few patterns tested around the 0.027" shim depth and send it. Thanks!
  2. Ford 8.8 ring gear contact patch always favors heel edge

Yeah, I started with a pinion shim thickness of 0.032" and based on the ford guide the toe-heel pattern I was getting implied I needed to reduce shim thickness. I reduced in steps down to 0.010" shim thickness and made sure my backlash was within the 0.008"-0.012" range in the spec. At 0.027"...
  3. Ford 8.8 ring gear contact patch always favors heel edge

Yep, I have been. I've had the gears out probably 50 times to get these shims changed around to make everything play nice but the pattern never looks good. Current backlash is 0.0085". About the best I can get it in the images above. How bad would it be to send it as-is? Does the contact pattern...
  4. Ford 8.8 ring gear contact patch always favors heel edge

Backlash spec is 0.008" to 0.012", and my backlash is measuring in at 0.008". My pattern has always kept looking similar to example B. in ford's guide.
  5. Ford 8.8 ring gear contact patch always favors heel edge

Hey all, I am regearing my truck from 3.08's to 3.55's and replacing the open diff to a limited slip. All used, stock Ford parts. I am having trouble getting the contact patch looking good though, the drive side always seems to favor the toe edge while the coast side always seems to favor the...
  6. 2.3L ('83-'97) Overly High PCV Pressure

I bought Wiseco 3820H rings, which are iron rings with a plasma moly facing on the top ring. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/WIS-3820H I probably just didn't have the engine rotated properly to TDC, I was basing it off of sight of the piston through the spark plug hole. This engine doesn't...
  7. 2.3L ('83-'97) Overly High PCV Pressure

So, another update. I went out and bought a leakdown test gauge set from harbor freight, that uses the two gauges at 100 PSI and the difference is the leakdown percent as previously mentioned. I was able to get a couple of possibly good readings, but when the cylinder was on TDC and I started to...
  8. 2.3L ('83-'97) Overly High PCV Pressure

Yeah I think I have the same style or similar Amazon tester to the one that you used. It says provide 7-100 PSI and then open until the needle lines up with the 0PSI mark. That usually happens at a relatively low PSI. After connecting the gauge to the cylinders that gauge jumps up (down?) from...
  9. 2.3L ('83-'97) Overly High PCV Pressure

Yeah I'm thinking something like this is needed. It isn't in any of the pictures, but it does have a hose right now to a catch can, but the oil actually sprays out from between the valve cover grommet and the 90 degree elbow adapter, so I'll try sealing that with some tape or rtv or something...
  10. 2.3L ('83-'97) Overly High PCV Pressure

I do have the stock turbo valve cover, but I think there's a simple baffle to help deal with oil splatter. Just a sheet of metal to make the oil have to go around. Picture of the engine when I first picked it up is attached to show the style of valve cover. I don't think I have any pictures of...
  11. 2.3L ('83-'97) Overly High PCV Pressure

I'm glad you mentioned the compression ratio there. Based on 8.0:1 without boost expected compression should be about 118 PSI (8.0 * 14.7PSI), so that makes me feel better about that at least. And I agree, I 've got to be way over thinking this, I just don't know what I missed. Would a clogged...
  12. 2.3L ('83-'97) Overly High PCV Pressure

Performed a compression test after the test drive to check the condition of the engine: 1 - 120 psi 2 - 110 psi 3 - 110 psi 4 - 120 psi I believe 120 psi is healthy compression for the 2.3 Lima, correct? This is a turbocharged engine so I'm not sure if the compression in each cylinder will be...
  13. 2.3L ('83-'97) Overly High PCV Pressure

Update after getting the rest of the hose/adapters for the valve cover to catch can line - oil is still being blown out of the valve cover through that hole. I purchased and installed the stock replacement elbow and rubber gasket for this engine, yet oil is being forced out from between the two...
  14. 2.3L ('83-'97) Overly High PCV Pressure

Alright, I was out of town for a week and couldn't get everything together and tested until tonight. I installed a Vargas Turbo 100PSI rated check valve between the oil separator and throttle body, so that flow is allowed from the crankcase/oil separator to TB but not from TB to crankcase so it...
  15. 2.3L ('83-'97) Overly High PCV Pressure

Alright, sounds like I'll need to get a hose for the breather on the valve cover and route that to my catch can instead of the hose from the oil separator to intake. I have parts on order for that since the pressure actually popped the breather out of the valve cover while driving and I have not...
  16. 2.3L ('83-'97) Overly High PCV Pressure

So I have a quick question about the proper setup of the PCV system based on this wording. The replacement pcv valve has two ports on one side of the valve, this style here...
  17. 2.3L ('83-'97) Overly High PCV Pressure

Replaced the PCV valve, but no change. Took it for a drive, oil was pushed up and out of the valve cover breather, same as before. I'll keep driving the truck at low loads to help the engine break in, if that is the issue here. A few questions about the PCV valve, in case the replacement I...
  18. 2.3L ('83-'97) Overly High PCV Pressure

It's been driven less than 100 miles, honestly probably closer to 50. I knew the engine would consume oil before the rings break in but I never really thought about the boost leaking past them and causing trouble. It's been on lots of shorter drives trying to nail down any issues that pop up...
  19. 2.3L ('83-'97) Overly High PCV Pressure

Hey all, I've been test driving my 1991 ranger with a 2.3 turbo motor from a 1988 thunderbird turbocoupe in order to get it tuned after being rebuilt and assembled. After these drives, I've noticed a lot of smoke from the engine bay coming from oil that is being sprayed around and hitting the...
  20. 2.3L ('83-'97) 2.3 won't charge past 12.5V

Verified this wire was the cause. I grabbed the stock gauge cluster and plugged it in and now it charges fine. Guess I'll have to nip that in the bud. Thank you for the help Ron!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad