• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Rebuilding the First-Gen Swingaway Mirrors

Thanks. I very thoroughly removed the old stuff, so my new stuff (which is "Acrylic Latex Caulk plus Silicone") was directly attaching stainless to plastic, and glass to plastic. The second bead I mentioned was basically just attaching the outer edge of the glass to the inner edge of the...
  2. Rebuilding the First-Gen Swingaway Mirrors

Lost a month due to some unpleasantly cold weather and a garage heater that decided to stop working. So where were we...right, hardware that isn't made of cheese. After pulling a bunch of hair out trying to figure out why I couldn't figure out what size and thread the bolts are which attach the...
  3. Rebuilding the First-Gen Swingaway Mirrors

Happy New Year! I went to Princess Auto, which is a Canadian store that's largely like a Harbor Freight in the US, except they also have expanded sections for surplus items (basically a liquidation store), as well as specialty stuff for custom hydraulics and farms. I showed the plastic piece to...
  4. Rebuilding the First-Gen Swingaway Mirrors

Agreed, the final result will hopefully make a decent article...if I'm successful. I had a few minutes tonight to go out to the garage. I threw a thin second coat of paint on the parts, which should be plenty, because they now have more paint on them than my entire truck. I took the...
  5. Rebuilding the First-Gen Swingaway Mirrors

When I bought my '85 in 2015, it had small base model mirrors. After a short time, I found a Bronco II in a junkyard with the big tow mirrors, which the sales brochure refers to as "Bright Western Swingaway Mirrors", and I retrofitted them onto my truck. They were great for several years, but in...
  6. Toyo Kogyo TK5 value

Speaking from an...I dunno, altruistic point of view: try to sell it privately, even if it doesn't make you a lot of money. They haven't been made in a long time, they aren't getting easier to find, it's actually a pretty reasonably good transmission, and rebuild parts are still made for them...
  7. 2.3L ('83-'97) 85 Ranger Under powered

My truck is a bad comparison because despite being an 85 with a 2.3 that has EFI, it's a much newer engine, and my fuel system isn't set up with the two-pump system that I believe your truck probably has. That being said, my truck will absolutely bury the speedometer and has been taken up to...
  8. 1988 Ranger XLT 302 5.0 AOD Carb Swap, Ol’ Dirty Blue

On the point about fuel line material, since it doesn't look like it's done yet: I would strongly suggest that you do what the OEM did - nylon has significant advantages over other materials and is very easy to work with. At the very least, do steel lines for the easy straight runs and then...
  9. (Re-)Introducing my '85 Ranger

I moved in September. Only 5 minutes away from my old place, but when you've got a garage like mine and no overlap between the purchase of the new place and sale of the old one, it's not an easy task. My new driveway is pretty sweet, if I do say so myself. The Ranger put in a fair bit of work...
  10. Detroit-area Junkyard Rangers - extremely pic-heavy

The local junkyards have been pretty short on vehicles of interest to me since May, and since in May I didn't find any Rangers, I didn't post anything here. Since then, I bought a Plymouth Acclaim (perhaps an odd choice, but I have my reasons), and have been on the hunt for a grille for it...
  11. (Re-)Introducing my '85 Ranger

A couple recent updates: The Ranger's brakes have been increasingly less good over the last few months. It developed a pull to the right when braking heavily, and felt more or less like the front left was not contributing at all. I've been intentionally rough on the brakes trying to free up...
  12. Detroit-area Junkyard Rangers - extremely pic-heavy

That's a sweet little service body. Not a huge fan of that yard but every once in a rare while they get something neat. Alright, you folks win. Quite imperfect, but neat regardless. I went back on Sunday for that and the toolbox in the bed, but the toolbox was gone. I have a half-baked...
  13. Detroit-area Junkyard Rangers - extremely pic-heavy

I'm impressed you fought your way through quoting that one image. I hate to throw a wrench in things, but I'm almost positive the pictured truck is actually an 88. I believe that's the one I took the fuel sending unit from to do my EFI engine swap, and I distinctly remember that I took that...
  14. Detroit-area Junkyard Rangers - extremely pic-heavy

The wagon is definitely my favourite way to get around. It's a 1985 US-market Country Squire. CFI 302 with AOD. Wears a 1982 LTD grille and a 1980-81 Marquis front bumper, on 80s cop car steelies with FoMoCo dog dish caps. SC car until about 2000 (hence the sun-baked finish), Ohio car till about...
  15. Detroit-area Junkyard Rangers - extremely pic-heavy

I did not. It isn't in good enough condition, in my opinion, for me to have taken it. Plus we have front plates here (Ontario, not Michigan), so vanity plates are rarely on my radar.
  16. Detroit-area Junkyard Rangers - extremely pic-heavy

Went to a yard today; U-Pull & Save in Pontiac, MI. I noticed that they took in a red 1989 Ranger, regular cab long box. From the way the doors were hanging, it was apparent it was rusty. 2.9/M5OD RWD. My interest was mainly in the passenger side mirror, which I need as the Dorman replacement...
  17. (Re-)Introducing my '85 Ranger

Got this on a hoist the other day, giving it a quick once-over before putting some highway mileage on it. (don't judge my ugly brake line routing) Fixed an exhaust leak. Band clamps work great when your pipes are true to their nominal dimensions, but don't work so great when they aren't...
  18. Detroit-area Junkyard Rangers - extremely pic-heavy

That is a later year Ford Courier. They are basically unrelated to the Ranger; it's a rebadged Mazda B-series pickup. Oversimplified: Mazda engineered the B-series. Ford borrowed it to make the Courier. Ford engineered the Ranger. During the gen1 years, the B-series and Ranger were unrelated...
  19. Detroit-area Junkyard Rangers - extremely pic-heavy

Didn't take long to get my first yard trip out of the way for 2023. Went back to Fox Auto U-Pull in Belleville to look a little more closely at that red '86 Ranger pictured above. Specifically, looking at the bed, recognizing that it is a rusty truck but didn't seem to have a rusty bed. No...
  20. Detroit-area Junkyard Rangers - extremely pic-heavy

I definitely believe that we (anyone) has some degree of social responsibility to not subject other people to hazards they shouldn't reasonably be expecting around them. For example, a truck frame cracking in half, and the truck skidding across 3 lanes of traffic creating a pileup. But I also...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad