• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' the posts that you read.

Search results

1. 2.9L Rebuild - performance improvement advice

Hi All, Rebuilding my 2.9L in 87 ranger 4x4. FM145 tans, BW 1350 manual T.case. 187,000km on truck, body, frame etc rust free, truck is in wicked shape till you open the hood. Also rebuilding trans right now. Looking for advice for improvements while I'm in there. (I posted in the tranny...
  2. Sven Pruett V6 rebuild book PDF

Anyone have Sven’s book on “How to build / modify a Ford 60 deg engine?” Rebuilding a 2.9L Thanks
  3. Transmission Rebuild - FM145 87 Ranger 4x4 2.9L

Hi all, I'm rebuilding the 2.9 engine and fm145 in my 87 ranger and I am in search of technical info for the tranny rebuild. A schematic showing any clearances, or just any information for this rebuild would be welcomed. I have read a few times that it's best to junk the fm145 and run the 146 or...
  4. 87 Ranger - No wiring for rear speakers, Need Advice

Hi, so I just installed my aftermarket Kenwood deck in my 87 Ranger. The original radio was AM only so I assume the truck had the most basic package. When I got the new deck in, I discovered that the rear speakers dont exist and I was unable to find any wiring to them. I am disappointed but I...
  5. HEADERS - Which way to go? 97 2.9L ranger 4x4

HEADERS - Which way to go? 87 2.9L ranger 4x4 87 2.9L - not 97 (my bad) I heard JBA is the best but I was having a tough time finding them online and the set I did find was $800+. Is that really what I can expect to pay for a good set of headers? Any other brands out there? apparently theres...
  6. 87 2.9L Running on 5 Cylinders, but passing comp. test???

1987 ranger with 2.9L cologne engine. 135km on truck, must have sat at some point. Truck was running really rough when I got it so I threw new plug, wires, coil, dist cap/rotor. Saw an improvement but when I pull #6 plug wire off, you barely notice any change in running condition - it's still...
  7. 4x4 low and hi not engaging, please help

Hi, when i put my 87 into 4x4, low or hi, there is a whirring sound i believe coming from the transf. case. It sounds like a rotating bearing that is completely shot or something. The lights in the dash come on and stay on but the 4x4 isnt engaging. while the tires were off the ground i locked...
  8. 87 2.9L running rough - running out of Ideas!

Hi, My 87 2.9L manual ranger is running rough and I am running out of ideas as to what it could be. Here's what it runs like: Idles a bit rough tho not bad enough to stall. All cylinders are firing just not at 100%. When reved up, it smooths out, quits shaking. What I've done: I had the upper...