Search results

1. Need major help

There are TWO top dead centers, one for #1 cylinder and one for #5 cylinder they share the TDC mark If you think spark timing is the reason there is a no start, pull up distributor and rotate it 180deg, 1/2 a turn, then reinstall
  2. Power Issues

Yes, when activated bad starter would cause power to cut off, but should return when you turn key back from START Reads like you may need to Clean both battery cables at BOTH ends Negative cable TOO The positive battery cable connected to starter relay(solenoid) is the main power distribution...
  3. Fuel pump question?

When you step on the gas pedal the TPS tells computer to richen the fuel mix but also retard the timing a bit for the richer mix, it burns faster, until RPMs catch up Its an odd "dance", for spark advance and retard with fuel mixes You want spark to occur BTDC so FULL explosive ignition of the...
  4. Need major help

Yes, once its warmed up shut it off, unplug SPOUT, hook up timing light, loosen distributor bolt and restart If you are getting misfires or timing light doesn't have a steady pulse, then there is another issue, could be rotor or coil or module Spark pulse should be steady, no drops You can use...
  5. Need major help

Cold engine needs to be "choked" which is something the computer does, so leave SPOUT connected and try to find the place, by turning distributor, where is does stay running Engine stalling or not staying running is not a spark issue unless distributor, coil, or TFI module is bad Spark timing...
  6. 2009 Ford Fusion

Yes, I was thinking the same And I did have metal stems on a truck years ago and had to tighten the nuts or check them every few months because they can leak
  7. Need major help

Yes, timing light connects to #1 spark plug wire, and to battery for power With spout connector removed you time the engine to 10-12deg BTDC Take a scotchbrite or similar to clean the degree markings on the pulley You can put some white paint on a rag tip and rub it into the degree markings...
  8. Fuel pump question?

Doesn't read like a fuel pump/pressure issue Reads like an air/fuel mix issue, maybe spark advance issue I guess test the TPS voltage on center wire, key on engine off to see if there is a dead spot between throttle closed and wide open, open and close throttle slowly and watch for drop and...
  9. 2.5L ('98-'01) Misfire Issues

Well, fuel pressure can drop to almost nothing with key off, it shouldn't but doesn't mean fuel pump is shot Cycle key on and off a few times then retest, you should get/add about 10psi of pressure with each key on/off cycle But yes does read like pressure may be low, fuel pressure gauge is...
  10. Electrical Gremlins

Yes, the Carb thing is attractive when talking about it but not very practical when doing it, lol Also need a HEI distributor conversion, as current TFI setup needs EFI computer Pin 22 is the Ground for Fuel Pump relay's coil, computer grounds and ungrounds pin 22 to control FP relay The...
  11. 2.3L ('02-'11) coolant temp 245

Yes, but its correct for 99.9% of the OBD2 cars/trucks out there, so not a big enough error to correct And you may want to check your available list of sensors(PIDs) it may have the CHT sensor in the list On some OBD2 readers you can enter a VIN or vehicle model and engine, and it will only...
  12. 2.3L ('02-'11) coolant temp 245

I like Dodge cars, and I did own two Rangers with 2.9l's, that ran well :)
  13. 2.3L ('02-'11) coolant temp 245

2.3l Duratec(2001-2011 Rangers) uses a CHT(cylinder head temp) sensor not an ECT(engine coolant temp) sensor So 245-250degF is OK Yes, 204deg on upper hose outlet is correct Temp gauge on dash has 210deg as 1/2 way
  14. 2.3L ('83-'97) Running rough within 5 min of driving.

+1 On the ECT sensor, just change it out
  15. 2009 Ford Fusion

I didn't think so, thanks Up here(Canada) they are $40/each for the valve stem, and $115/each for the band type
  16. 2009 Ford Fusion

Daughter's car 2009 Fusion SEL 3.0l TPMS sensors are 11 years old and getting her some new tires, so thought they should be changed out 2010 and up used the Valve stem type 2008/9 seems to use the band type I can't see a problem cutting off the old ones and installing new valve stem type...
  17. Electrical Gremlins

Pull out the Computer and open it up, its out of warranty, lol Look at the 3 blue or black capacitors, blue ones seen here: http://www.auto-diagnostics.info/ford_eec_iv These go bad and leak after 20-30 years, not hard to replace, 1994 and earlier computer this is 99% of why they start to "act...
  18. Is this a non AC model?

+1 ^^^^ All Rangers came with 2/60 AC from the factory Roll down 2 windows and drive at 60MPH, 2/60 AC, and no extra cost for this option
  19. 2.3L ('83-'97) Throttle body crossover

All fuel injected Rangers came with Cold Air Intakes(CAI) from the factory, if this has been changed then you may have found your problem This is a CAI: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/attachments/oembox-jpg.59437/ This is a low flow and a warm air intake...
  20. 4.0 SOHC pulley bolt

Well I will put that in my brain and see if it takes root, but still can't see a reason for TTY at that location, can see the crank and pulley getting all that hot and expanding and contracting over the drive cycles, like heads do I think Ford used TTY on mains and connecting rods but they can...