Search results

1. R2.8 Conversion Coming Soon!

Well, I took the plunge after much soul searching and place my order for an R2.8 Engine kit and bellhousing to replace the 4.0 in my '99 that gave up the ghost! Planning on R2.8/AOD(w/4R70W guts) and a 203/1356 doubler so that I will retain electric shift 4X4 and have a lever for the doubler...
  2. 5R55E DIED ON ME?

Now that my big Colorado adventure (vacation road trip) is behind me it is time to turn my attention to my 1998 Exploder setting in the yard with no go left in it. About a month before leaving on vacation, while driving to town. I stopped at a 4-way and as soon as I mashed the gas to go it...
  3. STUPID V8 QUESTION TIME 1999 RANGER/1998 EXPLORER DONOR

Plans are to utilize the Explorer for any needed swap parts but use a new engine/ transmission for the install. My question that I can't seem to find any good answer for is how much engine can I run off of the Explorer systems. I'm eyeballing an ATK unit that puts out around 375HP/ 385ftlb of...
  4. 4WD SHIFTING/LOW ISSUES

Sat while road testing my new build ('99 Ranger, 2006 SD D60/Sterling 10.5" 5.13, Grizzly Locker rear, True-Trac F,) Anyway, went to climb Curahee Mtn and decided to shift it into 4low for extra torque. Got down off the mtn, stopped in N, turned knob back to 2-Hi and continued on. Front...
  5. 5R55E MAJOR slippage

1998 Ford Explorer 4.0/5R55E/Electric 4wd(full time auto, part time Hi and Lo), 3.73/31X10.50R15s. So today me and the boy decide to head out for a burger. About three miles or so from home we pull up to a 4way stop and as I go to pull out it gives a slight whirring noise and starts slipping...
  6. Driveshaft bolt questions

I followed the advice in this article from the how-to section titled "Building a front driveshaft for a 1998+ Ford Ranger" Problem is that the bolts included in the transfer case adapter(Double Cardan CV Flange Yoke N2-83-288X by NEAPCO) do not want to go in and I got no bolts from the JY with...
  7. Radiator time!

My '99 radiator has started leaking so time to replace! I've found a good- looking all-aluminum piece on the evilbay for $179 which I think is very reasonable. Does anybody have any recommendations? I've been sinking a ton of money in this thing lately and trying to not shortcut anything...
  8. 5r55 questions

Currently: '99 XLT 4.0,4X4,5R55, Unknown mileage but well over 230K:dunno: I'm about to begin a mild makeover:icon_welder: to include 2006 SD axles, 5.38:1 gears, Trutrac Front, Grizzly locker rear, turning 39.5X12.50R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. :headbang: This truck will be taking us on a roughly...
  9. Amp wire questions

I'm asking for some car audio wisdom here. I'm getting ready to install a 300W Blaupunkt 8" amplified subwoofer under each seat of my '99 standard cab. I was talking with my boss who is an electronics genius and also owned his own car radio system install shop in the 90's mentioning that I...
  10. 1999 Rear U-joint question

I drive a 1999 Ranger XLT standard cab, 4X4, 4.0, AT. What I am trying to find is what size(ie: 1310,1330,etc) Front and Rear U-joints it has :icon_confused:. The reason is that I am gathering parts to swap in Super Duty axles :icon_welder: and I would love to retain the same u-joints...
  11. Frame width question

Just wondering if anyone might have the measured the frame width of a 98+ frame after cutting off all the IFS components and/or the spring width of an 78-79 D44. I am planning to swap in a 2008 Super Duty D60 with spring mounting width of 46". I see that James Duff has spring mounts that are...
  12. 8.8 from F150 with VSS for '99 Ranger?

Hope my title made a little sense. I am in the planning process of a straight axle swap on my '99 XLT/4.0/auto Planning on using a '78 D44 FW, 5.13, and Truetrac in the front. Was originally thinking 9" rear but then realized that I'd lose VSS in stock rear end. Now my question is, Could I...
  13. Restoring wrecked 99 ranger

As my luck goes after spending nearly $1000 on bringing maintenance up to date on my beloved '99 Red Ranger 4X4, a driver pulled out in front of my son and totalled my truck. :bawling: Destroyed RF fender, radiator support, grille, headlights and tweaked the frame horns After much aggravation...
  14. Rear Brake Help Me Guess

I'm out of town and away from my truck which needs rear brakes. I would like to order all the parts so they will be there waiting on me when I get home. Question is do I have the 9" or 10" brakes. It is a '99 XLT Standard Cab, 4X4 Auto, 4.0, with 4.10 open F/R, if any of that helps...
  15. Alrighty here goes.....

I am researching options for increasing traction for my '99 Rear naturally is easy(Truetrac more than likely). Front end is another story. From what I gather the D35 IFS(SLA) is completely different from all others. So my question is. Is there any alternative I am not seeing. I have...
  16. Explorer Rear Springs

I have a line on an Explorer rear if it works out I could get everything springs and etc cheap. I've always heard the desert guys talk about how spring under reduces axle wrap. My question is, Why not leave the whole assy spring under? I'm going to Explorer leaves anyway to level out after...
  17. Hello!

I'm new to the forum but not to Fords. I currently do not own an RBV but would love to acquire one upon my return to the states. Looking to replace my 98 Wrangler with a Ranger preferably as old as possible and still be nice. plans are to swap in the drive train from my 78 as budget/time allow...