Search results

1. Otis413

HELP! 3.0L V6 Duratec con rod bolt torque.

Uuugh, the con rod must have been damaged, it started knocking again last night... I guess I'll just park it till we can find a good used motor, if not it might be a winter rebuild project.... Oh well, just out $30.oo for the bearings and $35.oo for the oil and filter... and time... :-(
  2. Otis413

I'm sure everybody's been on the edge of their seats about how this turned out, well so far so good, we got everything back together today, (BTW, aluminum bearings? I guess I'm just behind the times, and I reused the original con rod bolts) Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30 and filter. Let it idle till...
  3. Otis413

Steering wheel wont come loose.

Yea, this setup requires a two armed gear puller rather then the usual wheel puller/bolts I'm used to using with older Ford and Dodge products. I tapped on it with a hammer once it was tight but nothing moved. I don't see any way to heat it without damaging something.
  4. Otis413

Steering wheel wont come loose.

The Problem. Is there something I'm missing about pulling the steering wheel on a 03 Ranger XLT? I removed the air-bag, the ignition switch and the center bolt is backed out about half way to push against with a two jaw gear puller. I'v cranked down on the gear puller till there's groans and...
  5. Otis413

Ok, got up early thismorning and made the two hour round trip to town, paid $25.oo for a Haynes manual, so just for the record: Duratec 3.0L V6 connecting rod bolts, torque in two steps, step 1: 17 ft.lbs (23Nm), step 2: 32 ft.lbs (43Nm) Source: Haynes Ford Escape and Mazda Tribute 2001-2017...
  6. Otis413

I can't find this information anywhere, a google search brings up lots of info for the Vulcan V6 but nothing for the Duratec V6 (DOHC). I have a 2011 Ford Escape with a 3.0L V6 FlexFuel Duratec DOHC engine, a tapping noise led us to pull off the oil pan and turns out it lapped a connecting rod...
  7. Otis413

Shadetree Locksmith, cut your own keys.

Blank keys are about a buck each (or less in bulk) I think I paid $8.oo for 10 blank non chip keys on Amazon. I got it right on the third try, two Ford OEM keys for abt $30.oo, got them both right first try. I guess it's just how you want to spend your money.
  8. Otis413

Performance chip?

That's what I thought, thanks for the info... :P
  9. Otis413

Performance chip?

Has anybody seen/tried this? Force Performance Chip/Programmer for Ford Explorer Someone asked me about this, sounds too good to be true, but, I'v been wrong before.... And while we're on the subject, is there any "chip" type mods for the 4.0l OHC that do work?? Thanks for any info!
  10. Otis413

Lucky guy....

It actually belonged to one of his neighbors who passed away recently, he said the guy always kept it running just hardly ever drove it. Funny you should mention that.... About 8 years ago a runaway (drifting) 44 ton diesel locomotive came thru that door and totaled a 1/2 ton Chevy.. Some...
  11. Otis413

Lucky guy....

Friend of mine at work picked up this 2003 Ranger XLT 4x4 at an estate sale, 12,075 miles, V6 5 speed, looks brand new inside and out, just needs a wax job.. $3,500, lucky cuss..
  12. Otis413

Shadetree Locksmith, cut your own keys.

Replaced the pictures, hope I got them in the right place....
  13. Otis413

Rear door latch repair

A while back I saw a question about how to remove the rear door panel to repair the door latch. There were no replies so I thought I'd post some pics of my door latch (lower) repair. The inner panel can be removed by unbolting the upper sholder-belt (a nut) the lower seat belt and the rear...
  14. Otis413

Factory 4x4 lift blocks color code?

That's what I was thinking, the machinist in me thinks .030 is a lot but considering the donor vehicle had 250k miles it could just be wear... I'd be interested in seeing some NOS blocks for comparison.
  15. Otis413

Just checked the donor truck, 2 1/2" thick blocks, PINK on the DS and BLUE on the PS. Also noticed under the "horn" (piece that hits the rubber stop) cast into the part is an arrow pointing forward (each side) and "LWB/SC 4X4" (also each side) These are from an 02 XLT 4x4 with off road package...
  16. Otis413

Stamped in, I only noticed when I was knocking the loose rust off, I thought maybe it had to do with alignment adjustment (?) now that I have a day off I might check the blocks on the donor truck.
  17. Otis413

I had to swap out the rear axle on my 04 Ranger with one from my 02. I was in a hurry 'cause I needed to be able to get to work the next morning. My question is about the factory "bump-stop" lift blocks, I noticed they were stamped with "PINK" and "BLUE", being in a hurry I didn't take the time...
  18. Otis413

Front receiver and skid plate fab.

With the bumper re-installed. The top of the receiver tube touches the valance panel, so I edited the diagram in my OP to lower it by a quarter of an inch.
  19. Otis413

2002 4-door front seat belt assembly removal

I need to fix my rear lower door latch and was wondering the same thing... I'm guessing unbolt the seatbelts and the plastic pops off?? If no one knows I guess I'll try it on my parts truck first and see what happens.
  20. Otis413

Front receiver and skid plate fab.

Oh, no problem, I was just trying to explain what I did. (should have taken more pics) To tell the truth I'm scratching my head on how to brace things up a little, that crossmember might not be up to what my 8000 lb winch is capable of.. The winch was originally on my '90 Dodge 4x4 work truck...