Search results

1. Mechanic lied?

2001 Ford Ranger XLT 2.5L RWD, has ABS How many brake lines does this truck have? I went to a mechanic and said I want all my brake lines changed. Nothing under the hood is new going to the master cylinder (aside from the newer looking one that was replaced a few years ago that goes to the...
  2. What brake line / fittings?

Are these the right fittings for a 2001 Ranger XLT 2.5L RWD manual transmission? I have ABS since the light cycles when I start it but not sure if its 2 or 4 wheel. https://www.amazon.com/4-75-Copper-Nickel-Brake-Fittings/dp/B01801G45A/
  3. Caliper bracket

I ordered new Power Stop calipers and got the right part according to their website (S4606A). The shop told me the caliper is fine but the mounting bracket is wrong. I called Power Stop (their customer service sucks) but they told me I could get the S4606 that has a smaller bracket but same...
  4. Is this a bad wheel bearing?

Finally have a nice day today so I will change the wheel bearings and pads/rotors. Took the dust cap off the one side and see this. Is that a bad wheel bearing or some bigger issue?
  5. Cruise light on, doesnt work/no backup lights or parking

2001 Ranger XLT RWD 2.5L engine with manual 5 speed transmission. 220k miles. All dash lights are normal except what I'm about to describe: 1. Cruise control light on dash will turn on when I turn it on but it won't hold the speed anymore. 2. Parking brake light on dash only illuminates about...
  6. Manual is hard to shift

I have a 2001 Ranger 2.5L RWD 5 speed manual transmission. It's a little hard shifting at times, not terrible but I'd like it smoother. Is there anything that would need to be replaced other than fluid? Can I use Royal Purple Synchromax? I believe it calls for Mercon V ATF. I think I need 2.8...
  7. Wheel bearing help

2001 Ford Ranger RWD 2.5L 4 wheel ABS. I need new wheel bearings. Looking at Timken brand since its $250 for Motorcraft from the dealer. What do I need to order to press everything in? I watched a video and it looks like a hammer that fits inside the bearing. What else do I need to order? 1...
  8. What do my front rotors look like?

2001 Ford Ranger XLT 2.5L RWD with manual transmission. Regular cab (smallest) and bed of truck is a standard (not stepside). What does the front rotor look like? Is the the bottom one or second from the bottom? Different websites tell me different things. Some descriptions say the 2nd from...
  9. Adjust brakes going in reverse

2001 Ford Ranger XLT 2.5L manual transmission. My rear drum brakes were out of adjustment and the shop told me once they readjusted them that there's a self adjuster in there that works. They said go in reverse. How many times and how fast? I took the truck to an inspection shop later that day...
  10. Cruise control doesn't work

The light will activate on the dash when I set the speed I want but the truck will just slow down (to 0 if I let it). The speedometer works fine. Before my muffler hit the shock and ebrake cable, it worked fine. I'm guessing the VSS is fine because the speedometer works. Not sure what else to...
  11. Tire size question

My door says my 2001 Ranger XLT 2.5L RWD takes P225/70R15SL. My rears have 215 75 15 and my fronts are 215 70 15. I need new front tires and will order them online. Should I just get the proper size or can I get the same size as my rears since they're $10 cheaper per tire? My speedometer is...
  12. Catback install question

I purchased this: https://www.amazon.com/Gibson-19714-Single-Exhaust-System/dp/B000CCFHTA The only thing remaining in my current truck (2001 Ford Ranger XLT 2.5L RWD) is some muffler pipe that is sticking out of the cat. I cut the rest off including the old muffler, what stuck out of the...
  13. Inspecting drive shaft?

2001 Ford Ranger XLT standard transmission. 215k miles. In my other thread I posted how my muffler fell off the mounts, hit the drive shaft, then got thrown into the shock and busted the shock. From hitting the drive shaft, the tail pipe got all tangled up and the stainless steel muffler itself...
  14. Busted shock and muffler question

2001 Ford Ranger XLT 215k miles. RWD. Upstate NY. My muffler falls off every 2 or 3 years, even if I use a nicer stainless steel one. It gets strapped in there and everything. Not sure what's going on other than rust but it's getting annoying. I removed it along with the tailpipe other than a...
  15. Parking brake cable + muffler

Long story short, I was pulling out of a parking space and my muffler fell off and damaged my passenger side rear shock and the parking brake cable that runs across the differential. Muffler pipe is also cracked. Truck has 215k miles but it still runs. 2001 Ranger XLT 2.5L manual transmission...
  16. Fuel filler neck hose?

Can someone give me a link to purchase the two fuel filler neck hoses that I assume go from the fuel filler neck to the gas tank? I don't see anything on Rock Auto and none that fit on Amazon. Is this an item I have to order from the dealer? 2001 Ford Ranger XLT, standard 6' box (Styleside)...
  17. Body work?

I was stopped and hit at a very low speed today. Neither of us decided to report or will run through insurance. How do I straighten this up, if possible? The metal or fiberglass or whatever that is seems pretty firm. Or am I better off going to the junk yard and buying a new driver side rear...
  18. Poor stopping distance

My 2001 Ford Ranger XLT has poor stopping distance if I have to make an emergency stop. Normally most people can time the stop to stop in time, but I seem to keep going. It's been like this for maybe two years. I usually drive 90% highway, so I don't often have to make emergency stops, but I'd...
  19. Rear drum knocking noise

About two years ago, I had the rear drums replaced at a local shop. Shoes weren't terribly old. I kept getting a knocking noise like someone knocking on a door (knock...knock...knock) when hitting the brakes and going to a stop. They kept taking everything apart and adjusting whatever, and it...
  20. Changed radiator hoses - big problems!!

2001 Ford Ranger XLT 2.5L manual transmission single cab 180k miles It was time to change my radiator hoses as preventative maintenance. I bought new upper and lower hoses. Had a person I know change them for me. The old coolant was saved and dumped in through the radiator cap and some was put...