Search results

1. DustinW2

2.3L ('83-'97) Update!!! Could it be the ignition control module??!

I’ve been working on the truck for a couple weeks now and I haven’t pulled any codes but I’ve noticed my timing belt keeps walking. I’ve replaced the tensioner and belt. I’ve also tried different tightenings on the tension to reduce deflection. I can’t figure this truck out. I feel like I got it...
  2. DustinW2

That makes perfect sense... how do I control the spark advance? Do I have to replace coil packs? Or how does that work?
  3. DustinW2

I’m sorry Scott for the very vague post lol. But what I was saying was that my CPS was faulty because I didn’t have any spark.... I put a newer CPS on and then it started right up. I was just wondering if there’s a trick I’m missing on the timing set up or what... I have a new timing belt coming...
  4. DustinW2

Okay... I looked over everything and my CPS was faulty and this gave me the spark I needed and it started right up... but the timing keeps jumping, any ideas?
  5. DustinW2

How do I run obd1 without the tool... do I just count the check engine light sequence? It sounds like it’s on time... but when ever that brand new tps was plugged in it dies
  6. DustinW2

Okay I’m back guys!!! I got the the thing running at 3500 RPM and jumping at idle, which is obviously not correct. This was without the throttle position sensor plugged in. When I did plug in the TPS it stayed at 3500 consistently and then shut off after 5 secs. I replaced MAF, IAC,TPS, MAP, CPS...
  7. DustinW2

One more question... how the F$&@ do you get these damn spring lock fuel lines off ??
  8. DustinW2

No I haven’t... I haven’t ever had a fouled plug before but I’m willing to check... but do you have any ideas on why it would be at a higher rpm when you turn the key??
  9. DustinW2

It’s at 39 psi at the rail which is in spec. But it doesn’t explain the pop. It seems like I got a valve stuck open. It needs to be redone anyway so I’m gonna get that refreshed. I can’t test exact fuel pressure because it won’t run lol
  10. DustinW2

It’s what it’s supposed to be at and I’ve replaced everything that has to do with fuel so it’s not a pump... it just sounds like a computer/sensor that isn’t kicking on :/
  11. DustinW2

Okay... I’ve already replaced the intake manifold as of my new injectors and hasn’t ran ever since. I have been doing my research and it seems like it’s a sensor now. Maybe a Crank position sensor or a ignition control module, because it sounds like it’s just losing fuel before it cuts out...
  12. DustinW2

I have no idea how to run obd1... any ideas?
  13. DustinW2

Ok I just finished installing the new one... and it’s still doing the same thing. I have no idea what to do at this stage. Any suggestions????
  14. DustinW2

Yeah I found a new one off of a different truck for like 30$ and I think that’s cheaper than a new engine if that jb weld gets through lol... anyways thanks for your help and suggestions guys. I’ll be back with a update sometime this week ??
  15. DustinW2

Everybody I’ve been around is saying “just throw some jb weld on there and say it’s fixed”... I would’ve have done it already but I don’t have any ?
  16. DustinW2

Well I figured out how to upload finally thanks to Jim but it’s common sense to just do a star pattern to evenly crush the gasket which is what I did but it’s like it was made out of pot metal... super weak stuff ?
  17. DustinW2

Yeah that’s the one I saw but upper plenum is the one that broke ?
  18. DustinW2

I have one of chiltons book and they told me to do a star pattern at 20 ft pounds and that’s what I did. But the guy I bought this from was kind of a weirdo and probably only knew “Ugga Duggas” as his torque spec... But I order a new one anyway, parts for this truck are super duper cheap and...
  19. DustinW2

I know I said I’m a young kid and all but i am very careful with all my installations... I tighten in a cross pattern to evenly seat the gasket... but I guess it just gave out...