Search results

1. Hey Ford!!! Screw you guys!!!!

Other way around, the FWD 3.8 shares the bell housing pattern with the 3.0- so, Ford could swap between 3.0 and 3.8 in Windstars as demand warranted. I think I should have done a stroked (4.2 crank), supercharged (T-bird s/c) Essex instead of 5.0, but 20/20 hindsight there. RWD 3.8 has same...
  2. Hey Ford!!! Screw you guys!!!!

Everything revolves around cost. Honda has been manufacturing open deck engines for going on 3 decades, yet Honda has an enviable record for their engines. But there's devil in details between getting right and getting it wrong. And then there is the case of parts at limits of tolerance being...
  3. 3.4l v8

Not the greatest picture
  4. 3.4l v8

The SHO V6 is based off the Vulcan V6, so yes, it will bolt up to a Vulcan M5OD. The SHO V8 is based off the Duratech V6 - its basically a Duratech 25 with 2 more cylinders. The Vulcan M5OD will not bolt up to it. I'm not sure if the Duratech 23 I4 has same pattern as the V6 which would allow...
  5. Swapping gears in Dana 35 sla

The most common place to find 4.10 gears is a '97-01 Ford Explorer with 4.0/auto. The extra weight of the Expo resulted in Ford installing lower gears more often. And you can get the matching stronger rear differential while you are there. The Heep gears don't fit in Ranger differential...
  6. Towing capacity?

But assuming OEM torque converter, it is locked up way before the engine hits torque peak, so converter output basically equals input.
  7. Towing capacity?

You're usually go darn good... 4R44E is rated for 440 N*m, Ford was metric by this time - 2.3l, 3.0l, 4.0l engines, etc. 440 N*m = 325 ft.lbs. - basically identical to the M5OD-R1. Also, note that the 330 ft.lb rating is for 3.72:1 1st transmission found in 2.3/3.0 transmissions, with 3.40:1...
  8. Towing capacity?

Vermont trailer laws: http://trailers.com/state-laws/vermont.php (Going from signature) For trailers <3k lbs, it needs to be <40% of GVWR or you need brakes. Even with payload pkg 2, a Ranger won't have GVWR over 5,280lbs: 40% of which is ~2,100 lbs. So, legally you need brakes (and it...
  9. Coronavirus

7! he should have at least 3 years of hockey under his belt as good Cdn kid. :D My kids have payed since they were 5 (my daughter is 17 and still plays "boys" hockey, my son at 22 now plays beer league with me). There's some baseball, soccer, cycling, dance and probably a couple other sports...
  10. Regular cab to Supercab

On pre '98, I think this is pretty easy as the cab mounts are riveted to the frame. It is PIA to lift cab high enough to clear engine without a real hoist. (I did cab swap with gantry crane and engine hoist and things were just a little sketchy - doesn't help that my garage floor isn't...
  11. Mating the 3.0L Engine and Transmission

Yes, you have to correctly "seat" the torque converter into the transmission. I usually find there are 3 stages: 1. The initial install then turn a little clockwise/counter clockwise while lightly pushing in. 2. The torque converter engages with, I believe it is the pump. some more...
  12. 1210 driveshaft to 1310 yoke... possible?

Carrier bearings fail and need to be replaced, so it should be removable/replaceable should you ever want to go back - Not sure why you would, but this shouldn't be a destructive mod. (Been a while since I was under a Ranger with 2 piece shaft and my BiL's is 500 miles away, for me to verify)...
  13. 1210 driveshaft to 1310 yoke... possible?

1st question - did you make the Supercab long box yourself/did previous owner? Ford never manufactured a SuperCab long box, they are all home built. Side question: Is your truck's drive shaft a 1 or 2 piece model? If it is a SuperCab short box: the easy answer is, get a newer driveshaft from a...
  14. What size axle for 351w?

The "average" Ford 9" from back in the "glory" days had 28 spline axles and bearings equal/less than those found in the 7.5. Ford had no problem putting those axles behind 351w's in sleds that weighed a lot more than our Rangers. And the 31 splines axles/Daytona pinion support/WAR cased 9"...
  15. Manual Transmission Compatibility

Any 4.0 M5ODR-1 from '91 to '11 will bolt up to you engine.* Those from a 4.0 SoHC ('01-11) will have an extra hole, but you can just ignore it. And 1st isn't quite as deep (3.40 vs 3.72). * You, of course, want a 2wd transmission if your truck is 4x2, 4wd transmission for a 4x4.
  16. 1984 2wd lift opinion

Thread drift is considered normal. The Mustang 4.0 would have been the SoHC version, more/less same as found in '01-'11 Rangers (there might be some minor differences in manifolds/accessory positions, etc). The automatic transmission would have been the same 5R55e as found in Rangers (again...
  17. 1984 2wd lift opinion

The federal sticker on the door will confirm what you have; but there were a bunch of early Rangers ('83-84s) with 2.0 engine which received the 6-7/8" - would be 72 or 74 under axle on the sticker. I was debating suggesting the Explorer 8.8 given your long term plans - at 59.5" wide, it is 3"...
  18. Adding spider gears/clutches to open diff carrier?

Whining gears are caused by a meshing issue. So, OP already has an issue that needs to be address - might be as simple as poorly cut gears to begin with, or the existing bearings might be going. Either way, the OP needs to see where he currently is and determine next step from there. Putting...
  19. 1984 2wd lift opinion

An '84 with 2.0...could even have a 6-7/8"! On one hand, that truck looks sooo nice, I want to say just leave it stock. If you heart is set on a lift, I'm with Sarge - get an 8.8, re-gear it low, taking advantage of opportunity to add limited slip and maybe get larger rear drums. 10" drums...
  20. Opinions please

Again, not sure if you're aware or not: The transmission output shaft housing mounts for the transfer case shifter may/may not be threaded; in some cases, they are not even there. But there are threads on how to add the shifter mount if required. I use light duty ratchet straps at pnp given...