Search results

1. 8thTon

General engine diagnostic question

There was no mention of rust?
  2. 8thTon

Possible, but unless it then punched a hole into a coolant passage it doesn't explain the coolant part.
  3. 8thTon

Coolant and oil systems open to combustion chambers, or at least to the intake. Head gasket or cracked block/head.
  4. 8thTon

Air Box Modification, More Cold Air?

My 3.0 never pings, not the slightest hint and I’ve never put anything but 87 in it. Something is wrong. When gas prices took off around 1980 I made a water injection system for the 289 in my ‘66 Mustang. I was a broke high school kid and could not afford premium. It used hypodermic...
  5. 8thTon

School me on the 2003 3.0 duratec v6

I had the predecessor 2.5 Duratec V6 in my '99 Cougar, it was a great engine. One of Ford's best I think.
  6. 8thTon

What in the world can people be thinking?

Those are fully metallic pads, not those crappy semi metallic junk. Non vented from rotors? Must be something old.
  7. 8thTon

Hey Ford!!! Screw you guys!!!!

What's a henway?
  8. 8thTon

That might be interesting. I hope they put MultiAir on a V6
  9. 8thTon

Well, I don't know about bastard child, but your point is valid - it is a unique design not sharing much beyond the rocker arm and lifter design with any other Ford engine. They did make a ton of them though. I remember when it came out, right at the same time as the OHV 2.3 used in the Tempo...
  10. 8thTon

So it doesn't look like it slipped after it was torqued, just that it moved while tightening?
  11. 8thTon

So you're Rusty's White Knight come to rescue him from some annoying guy who deal with facts rather than hand waving? Rusty is clearly going to believe whatever he wants to, but he's not the only one who reads stuff here. And when was I ever obligated to entertain you? I can believe that.
  12. 8thTon

That is your suggestion, not mine - don't try to pretend it's my quote. You've quoted HP at one rpm, what does the power curve look like? If one is peaky and the other broad then they will not do the same work upon acceleration, as I wrote above. You do know that if the hp is the same at an...
  13. 8thTon

Generally when one goes for the cheap shot it means you are unable to support your position, and reflects poorly on you. Your proposed test is contrived and a meaningless distraction not based on any of my points at all, and would prove nothing. The power output of an engine tells you nothing...
  14. 8thTon

So when did 3.07 become the morally correct gear ratio? You’re just setting arbitrary requirements to support your notions.
  15. 8thTon

Practically speaking we’re not really talking 10:1 on these engines, and you wouldn’t need more gears, just the correct final drive which is going to be there anyway. Friction losses for gears are actually very low. Engines at higher rpm usually have shorter strokes which decreases rod...
  16. 8thTon

Yes, the losses in that C6 are huge, but what does that have to do with the engine? And if the 3.07 gears are not correct for the power band than that would be dumb, so you’d want to use the correct gears. Power is power, it doesn’t matter what makes it it still does the same thing.
  17. 8thTon

Because of the shape of the power curve, and because there is more energy in a gallon of diesel than in a gallon of gasoline. And because you always get some amount of diesel when you refine gasoline - you cannot change the proportions much - so we produce it as a byproduct or refining gasoline...
  18. 8thTon

Gears do not change the output power at all. If you put 600hp into a 10:1 gear set you get 600hp out of it (minus minor friction losses). HP is roughly equal to torque x rpm - the gears just trade one against the other so you get 10X the torque at 1/10 the rpm, but the power is constant. So...
  19. 8thTon

Anyways, having precise cam timing appears to be the reason to eliminate the key/pin, but Ford screwed something up in either the design or the service info for this engine. It's been common to do this for several years now and others have got it right.
  20. 8thTon

Where is the big mystery here? You could apply "ecoboost" techniques to a 460, it would be killer. Add small turbos, DOHC and 4 valves per cylinder with valve timing and direct injection and it will clearly make tons of power. These technologies have allowed engines to make power over a much...