Search results

1. New ball joints too tight

I appreciate the reply. They've loosened up somewhat, but after three weeks of driving I thought it would be more. I have some new adjustable camber bushings to put in it, so I may try that over the Thanksgiving day weekend.
  2. 1986 Ranger runs rough cold

Are you saying it doesn't open? I just tried it and it worked.
  3. 1986 Ranger runs rough cold

When the engine is cold the IAC should be open. When you start it up cold, pull the connector off the IAC. It's basically a solenoid that engages when cold, and allows fresh air to by-pass the throttle body (which would be closed). If you don't hear the solenoid disengaging and engaging when you...
  4. 1986 Ranger runs rough cold

Sounds like the Air By-pass valve (IAC) isn't opening. Maybe this has something to do with it, or it's just bad.
  5. Explorer radiator swap?

From my location with the discount code Rock Auto was actually about $2.50 cheaper than @mazon. Plus, you could probably get the hoses cheaper as well.
  6. Explorer radiator swap?

Details at Rock Auto on the '95-'96 show they are about 1" narrower and 3" taller.
  7. Explorer radiator swap?

You just leave the cooling ports like they are (usually have plastic plugs in them), and the tanks are bigger on the automatic radiators to accommodate the cooling coils inside the drivers side tank. They will probably increase the total amount of coolant you use. Glad to hear you found the...
  8. Explorer radiator swap?

If you have a manual trans now and you get the auto trans radiator, you'll need to get a lower hose for the auto trans radiator also. I just looked at my notes and I have the Gates 21623 lower (auto trans) and Gates 21897 (upper). The pics on Rock Auto show the manual trans radiator with a...
  9. Explorer radiator swap?

snoranger is right; I forgot to mention "with AC". Rock Auto is much cheaper if you can wait a few days. On Rock Auto's site they are the rads with 1164 in the model number. 2-1/4" thick 2 row. The one I got at a radiator shop several years ago has the same specs as the one you linked to at...
  10. Explorer radiator swap?

The auto trans radiator is twice as thick (that's what I put in mine). You also need to get a 4.0 upper hose and trim it to fit. Looks like everything for the 4.0 is the same through '94.
  11. Engine surges and stalls at cold idle

I've heard people on this forum say that an exhaust leak at the front of the cat would cause problems with the O2 sensor readings, but I never understood how. With the engine running there should always be positive pressure on the exhaust, which should prevent air from the exhaust leak getting...
  12. New ball joints too tight

Hey everybody. I replaced the ball joints, axle pivot bushings, and radius arm bushings in my '87 4x4 Ranger recently, and the ball joints are tight. Tight enough that it was obvious when I installed the steering knuckles. When I drive it, the steering wheel will not return to center on it's own...
  13. Engine surges and stalls at cold idle

If this all started after lifting the engine to change the oil pump, you must have damaged some wiring in the process. Have you gone back and checked to determine if any of the wiring harness' were likely to have been stretched, damaged, etc? It's unlikely that a sensor or component would go out...
  14. Engine surges and stalls at cold idle

Check your ECU power relay to be sure you've got good voltage feeding the ECU. How are you checking voltage at the ECT? Battery negative to the LG/Y wire or the BL/W wire? The ECT is basically a thermistor, so voltage on the LG/Y wire should be close to 5vdc (if the ECU is getting good voltage)...
  15. Free '99 Ranger on CraigsList

Yeah, sounds a bit odd. Every once in a while a good deal comes up on Craigslist, but the ad is usually taken down fairly quick. This one's been up for a couple days now, so maybe it's just some weirdo out to yank people's chain. Some people are definitely way out there.
  16. Free '99 Ranger on CraigsList

There's a free Ranger listed on Craigslist in Belmont NC for anyone interested. I'd check it out myself (25 minutes away) but I hurt my back doing ball joints and bushings on my '87 4x4 friday and I won't be going anywhere for a few more days...
  17. Coolant loss....

Don't feel bad Rusty, that one went right over my head too.
  18. Coolant loss....

If it didn't happen until after you changed the lower hose, the odds of something else going bad that you didn't touch are pretty low. That leaves the lower hose and clamps, and the cap. It's unlikely that the cap was damaged when you drained/filled the coolant. What prompted you to change the...
  19. Oil pump question

After looking at my bare 2.9 block there's another oil gallery above the cam that is completely blocked by the thrust plate. If the plate was rotated 180° and the upper oil gallery was pressurized (I believe it's the oil gallery that feeds the lifters), it appears that oil would lube the thrust...
  20. Oil pump question

I never thought it was a good idea to "flip" the camshaft thrust plate. Doing so would prevent lubrication to the slot in the camshaft that the plate fits in. I haven't been able to find a new replacement either.