Search results

1. Airbag problem - need some knowledgeable help

Thanks - used ones aren't that expensive. The trick is finding the same part number. Maybe its dead and replacing it will fix it. I'd rather spend a few bucks and hope than tear out the seats and carpet looking for corroded connections. I'm going to start by getting a better code and decide...
  2. Want to swap - need some ideas

Thanks. My truck doesn't have to meet emissions after this coming april. So I can do anything - any engine. My plan was to pass emissions this one last time to get the tags and then start doing the swap. I agree that the 4.0 seems like it would be a fairly easy upgrade - not sure how much it...
  3. Want to swap - need some ideas

Ok, then sorry. Its the steam engine comment that set me off. I really didn't look at the others too close.
  4. Want to swap - need some ideas

Exactly right.
  5. Want to swap - need some ideas

Mileage averages 21 plus a little. BUT it can barely get out of its own way. Almost scary driving it on the highway here in Atlanta due to the lack of acceleration. I know I can buy something else but my 89 year old father gave it to me on the condition that I keep it. I figured I could have...
  6. Airbag problem - need some knowledgeable help

Thanks for trying to help. This is helpful if I understood it. My code 24 is from the flashes on the dash. What sort of reader do I need to be using an "actual reader". I have a code reader for OBD2 stuff. I have a friend who can lend me a much better one but I might need some hints to help...
  7. Airbag problem - need some knowledgeable help

I posted a thread in the electrical forum about a month ago and got exactly one response. The person told me to do what I already had done - he apparently didn't read the entire post. The problem is an airbag light The advice was to clean the electrical connections because they are probably...
  8. 96 ranger 3.0L V6 fuel pressure

So today I checked my throttle cable and found that I had almost 3/4" of slack in the cable. I put on three large zip ties and my performance has been completely restored. Amazing really. Amazing that Ford would design something so marginal. Seriously. I'm a design engineer and have...
  9. Want to swap - need some ideas

Mine is a 3.0L, automatic 2WD and is a dog when it comes to acceleration and performance. It was free so I can't complain but I really hate it. Gas mileage ain't really great considering. I've read that a 4.0L is not a whole lot better. The 3.0L gas mileage was probably competitive in 1996 -...
  10. Want to swap - need some ideas

I've got a 96 ranger that is in near new shape but I'm tired of its lack of power and mediocre gas mileage I bought a new big v-8 truck about a month ago so now the ranger is an extra, meaning I can work on it and temporarily drive the new truck to work (it gets even worse mpg's). The ranger...
  11. 96 ranger 3.0L V6 fuel pressure

Thanks. I'll try it again later when the rain stops. When I changed the air filter the other day I found the filter box loaded with pine nuts (lots of pine trees here). There was probably two or three tablespoons of them which is pretty odd. The nuts don't just easily fall out of the cones...
  12. 96 ranger 3.0L V6 fuel pressure

RonD, I got a vacuum gauge and measured my vacuum. Engine running at idle its about 16 or 17 in and steady. With the AC on it drops an inch or so and remains steady (fluctuates a little up and down as the ac clutch goes on and off). At 2000 or so rpm's it goes up to around 20 in and remains...
  13. 96 ranger 3.0L V6 fuel pressure

Thanks. Buried in the info I posted is the pressure under load - around 32 psi was the lowest I read at a pretty high engine rev (I'd guess about 3000 rpm). It would initially drop to around 32 under load and then maybe rebound to 33 psi and hold steady. At idle it was around 34 psi and...
  14. 96 ranger 3.0L V6 fuel pressure

What is the fuel pressure at the rail supposed to be? I just measured mine and I get 38 psi pretty consistently after pressuring it up by turning the key to allow fuel pump to spin up 3 times and then looking at the gauge. I get about 32 - 34 psi with the engine running. Higher psi at idle...
  15. 1996 Ranger XLT extended cab 3.0L V6 airbag light code 24

Can anyone help me with this? I looked again today and find no wires under either of the seats. Its been about a month since I posted the question and the one response I got told me to do what I already planned to do if I could find any of the wiring (can't find much - one connector under the...
  16. 1996 3.0L V-6 ... No power

Could be _ I'll check it out, thanks. The truck only misses when I push it hard on a hot day with the AC running going up a grade so its not missing very often or for very long.
  17. 1996 3.0L V-6 ... No power

Thanks. I have a some new plugs I was going to put in. I was going to pull the plugs today but I lost my gap tool and nobody had what I wanted - wire gauge with 0.044 wire. Plenty of coin gauges to pick from - not so good for platinum tipped plugs.
  18. 1996 3.0L V-6 ... No power

I was going to check it and see what I bought. I buy motorcraft if they have it. The truck is my daily driver so if something is broken or breaks while I'm working on it I have to get something in order to get to work. I don;t like buying crap parts but some times there's no choice.
  19. 1996 3.0L V-6 ... No power

Other info is that I have no scanner codes. Is there a way to tell if its in limp mode? I'm wondering if I've got some sensor that sort of half works (no codes) but is bad enough that the computer went into limp mode.
  20. 1996 3.0L V-6 ... No power

I've thought about that - not sure. The truck only has around 75,000 miles on it. Would the restriction be from a plugged cat converter?