Search results

1. Airbag problem - need some knowledgeable help

I posted a thread in the electrical forum about a month ago and got exactly one response. The person told me to do what I already had done - he apparently didn't read the entire post. The problem is an airbag light The advice was to clean the electrical connections because they are probably...
  2. Want to swap - need some ideas

I've got a 96 ranger that is in near new shape but I'm tired of its lack of power and mediocre gas mileage I bought a new big v-8 truck about a month ago so now the ranger is an extra, meaning I can work on it and temporarily drive the new truck to work (it gets even worse mpg's). The ranger...
  3. 96 ranger 3.0L V6 fuel pressure

What is the fuel pressure at the rail supposed to be? I just measured mine and I get 38 psi pretty consistently after pressuring it up by turning the key to allow fuel pump to spin up 3 times and then looking at the gauge. I get about 32 - 34 psi with the engine running. Higher psi at idle...
  4. 1996 Ranger XLT extended cab 3.0L V6 airbag light code 24

I'm getting code 24 on the dash for my air bag. The code means that the airbag brain has an internal fault based on what I can find in the internet. The truck has very low miles and it surprises me that it is actually bad. I've looked for connectors under the seats to check and only see one...
  5. 1996 3.0L V-6 ... No power

My 96 ranger has started misfiring occasionally (when accelerating up a long grade) and it has way less power than usual for the last few months. It has new plugs (motorcraft) and wires (NGK) that have about 20,000 miles on them. I'm wondering if I need a new coil pack. Last night I...
  6. 1996 ranger xlt automatic trans remove black floor console

Two questions ..... 1) How do you remove the black floor console that lives on the transmission hump on a '96? I'm guessing there are screws in the center of the cup holders under the thin rubber liners at the bottom of the cup holders but I don't know. 2) My air bag system rcm ("brain") has...
  7. Setting the timing

This is a pretty rookie question I guess but I don't know the answer. My 1996 3.0L ranger has been pretty sluggish and has no power so I decided to put the code reader on it and see what it tells me about my timing. The answer I got was + 25 degrees and +12 degrees. One was in park and one...
  8. dash panel bulbs 1996 v6 3.0 xlt

Can anyone tell me the bulb number and how many of each I'll need to replace all the bulbs in the dash panel? A bunch of mine are burned out and I want to replace all of them while I have the panel out,
  9. 1996 Ranger - Need an oil pan drain plug - what is part number?

My oil pan drain plug is worn out and I need a new one. 1996 Ranger XLT 3.0L automatic. I'd rather have a ford one than the junk I saw at the auto parts store. Does anyone know the part number? I found F75Z6730BA on Amazon and it claims to be the OEM part but Amazon isn't great with getting...
  10. Opinion question - alternative for Bilstein 4600 shocks

My 23 year old 96 3.0L ranger 2wd xlt needs new shocks. It has the originals and its very "boaty" and slightly uncontrolled to the point of being a little dangerous feeling on the highway. I like bilsteins (wish they were black). I had them on my 20 year old volvo and they transformed the...
  11. 96 ford ranger 5 L oil quantity

The owners manual says 5 quarts and everything else I can find says 4.5 quarts. The dipstick doesn't lie and with 5 quarts its 1/2 inch over full. Honestly pisses me off. What good is the owners manual if the info is wrong? Ford seems to have a problem with this - that's why I quit buying...
  12. 96 ford ranger XLT front brakes pulsate

I replaced the front pads a few months ago with NAPA semi-metallics. Brakes were fine for a few days then they started to pulse a little and it got worse. I took the wheels off this weekend and cleaned up the rust on the steel wheel hub and back of the aluminum alloy wheel and re-installed...
  13. Stream crossing - 96 Ford Ranger XLT RWD

I've got a 96 stock ranger (original shocks) and I need to ford a small stream to get to my backpacking trail head in a few weeks. How deep can the water be? This particular stream varies from inches deep to maybe 18 inches if its rained recently. the creek is only about 15 feet wide so I...
  14. New shocks, 2" lift - suggestions? '96 ranger 2WD

I need new shocks and while I'm at it would like to do a simple 2" +/- mild lift. Can anyone suggest some good ways to go? I don't know where to start. I usually buy OE quality or better. The lift is to be more able to cross some small streams in North Georgia without getting water through...
  15. 96 3.0L extra battery

I'd like to put an extra battery in my truck under the hood. The only space I see for it is where the air filter is. If you move the filter there is plenty of room for another battery. Has anyone here ever done this? If so, how/where did you move, replace, whatever the air filter?
  16. 96 3.0L trans fluid pans

Is there a pan that is commonly available that has a drain plug? I tried to use a vacuum tool to remove some fluid from the dipstick tube but the hose won't go all the way down. I've done this on every other car I own but I guess that it wont work on the ranger. If I have to drop the pan I'm...
  17. 96 3.0 ranger ac - slow to cool

My ac is pretty slow to cool especially in slow traffic. I checked the charge and it was low. It took a half of a tall can to get it in the middle of the charged range. It now gets much colder but still takes 15 minutes to get there. I live in the Deep South so it can take a few minutes to...
  18. 96 ranger 3L idle irratic

I've been trying to bring back a slightly neglected truck to good repair. The idle is a little erratic. So far I've replaced the cam shaft position sensor, synchro, epfe sensor and tubing, plug wires and plugs and cleaned the EGR and mass airflow sensor. I currently don't have any codes...
  19. P0401 trouble code

Whats the most likely source of this code? It comes and goes (intermittent). I just replaced the camshaft position sensor and camshaft synchronizer and the code showed up after that. This truck was not well maintained and the check engine light had been on for about 19 years. It took a week...
  20. '96 ranger 3.0L automatic front rotors

My 96 ranger needs some new rotors and I'd like something more heavy duty than the original ford rotors. I put heavy duty rotors on my 96 crown vic and that completely solved my pulsing front brakes . 1) Any suggestions for something I can get at napa, autozone, advance or o'riley's that might...