• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. P0442: Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

Year is 2003. 145k miles. Good idea to check PCV as well. I don't see any relevant PCV trouble codes in the trouble code list ( https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD-II_codes.shtml ) so yeah, maybe some kind of PCV trouble throws P0442? Can smoke testing be done by home mechanics or...
  2. P0442: Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

Reviving this thread only because its title is a good search term. I get a P0442 only when I load the engine. If I drive around normally, no code. Does this symptom narrow down the cause?
  3. Whine from in-tank fuel pump

Following up. Replacing the fuel filter didn't help. I replaced the fuel pump assembly just to be safe. The new pump is so quiet I hear it only during those first couple of seconds after turning on the ignition and before starting the engine, and if I have the door open. The new pump was a huge...
  4. Whine from in-tank fuel pump

Good tips about the fuel filter. Thanks. It's only about 30k miles old but I will change it.
  5. Whine from in-tank fuel pump

Thanks for the replies. The whine is the same whether fuel tank is full or empty. Almost every time I fill the tank I fill it completely, and I always run it to about 1/8 tank. I called it "low-pressure pump" because I thought there was a high-pressure pump somewhere near the fuel rail. I guess...
  6. Whine from in-tank fuel pump

Thanks for the replies. The whine is the same whether fuel tank is full or empty. Almost every time I fill the tank I fill it completely, and I always run it to about 1/8 tank. I called it "low-pressure pump" because I thought there was a high-pressure pump somewhere near the fuel rail. I guess...
  7. Whine from in-tank fuel pump

My 2003 4L is running fine. I'm just worried about it before we take a long road trip. I can hear the high-pitched whine while I'm in the cab, the engine is running, and the windows are down, but not when the windows are up. I tracked it to the low-pressure fuel pump by getting under the truck...
  8. A/C low side pressure fluctuates and compressor cycles

The clutch can make a grinding noise (bearings). I don't know about chatter. The clutch is replaceable. Roughly $120 at NAPA in S. California. I replaced mine about a year ago. The clutch comes complete with its engagement coil. Clutch replacement is an easy job if you leave your old coil on the...
  9. A/C low side pressure fluctuates and compressor cycles

Maybe they shut down the compressor to save it from starving of lubricant as well as preventing ice-up. Thanks for that tip. I did it today and the low side pressure was clearly higher, more toward the center of the good range. Also, my refrigerant can was fully back to ambient temperature, so...
  10. A/C low side pressure fluctuates and compressor cycles

I'm posting this just to document a symptom I didn't find on TRS. Long story short: solved by carefully adding refrigerant. Symptoms: 1. Air blowing just barely below ambient temperature 2. Compressor clutch would engage for 3 seconds, disengage for 5 seconds, and repeat, even with all A/C...
  11. Coolant leak at thermostat

I finally finished replacing the entire housing (upper and lower). It was a tedious job because I had to remove the two temperature sensors from the housing, insert the lower housing roughly in place, then reinstall the temperature sensors. There wasn't enough clearance to just install the lower...
  12. Coolant leak at thermostat

Todd at Zabteck pointed me to https://howtoreplacefordthermostathousing.com/disconnect-battery-drain-coolant-remove-hoses.php#step3 Gonna follow these instructions right now.
  13. Coolant leak at thermostat

I'm also replacing my thermostat housing, 2003 with 129k miles. Bought the Zabteck housing, looks great! I've been trying to remove the old housing without removing the intake manifold but I'm about to give up and remove it. Any advice?
  14. 2005 ranger front diff gasket

Thanks, Sarge.
  15. Too lean, both banks, under load... fuel pressure?

So I roll the truck out of the driveway and the engine dies. First thing that comes to mind is that damn fuel pump again. I put my pressure gauge on the fuel rail schrader valve and run the fuel pump. Yep, only 8 psi. I get out the come-along, winch the truck back up the driveway and take the...
  16. 2005 ranger front diff gasket

Do you have to drop the differential to do the reseal job?
  17. Too lean, both banks, under load... fuel pressure?

Well, I needed transportation for a while so I drove a while with lean codes and 30 PSI fuel pressure I kept off the accelerator and the truck ran fine. Yesterday I finally replaced the fuel pump assembly. I took the advice above and removed the bed rather than dropping the tank. Really good...
  18. Too lean, both banks, under load... fuel pressure?

I fear my torx bolts are seriously rusted in place. I'd also have to buy the torx socket, but I suppose it's not expensive. In fact, given the full tank, this is the time to buy the socket and replacement bolts. Gonna go right now. > http://www.stealthdumptrucks.com/forduplarge.jpg :-)
  19. Too lean, both banks, under load... fuel pressure?

I have a lifetime warranty on the NAPA fuel pump assembly, so I won't be out any money, but it's a chunk of time to drop the tank. Been there, done that. Unfortunately, I have ~17 gallons in the tank now. I'm going to connect a long hose between the Schrader valve and a couple 5-gallon tanks...
  20. Too lean, both banks, under load... fuel pressure?

Yeah, I jumpered it. In fact, I wired up an extra switch and relay a couple years ago when my previous fuel check valve was leaky. I used the cigarette lighter as the extra switch. I installed it because I didn't want to replace the fuel pump assembly just for a bad check valve and I didn't want...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad