• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Shran

Driver's side drum getting hot after brake job

The other side had a groove that was worse but it wasn't dragging so I guess I'm at a loss as to what exactly caused it but am not complaining either. I did notice that after greasing everything, the assembled shoes return to center by themselves if I push it off center. Prior to that they...
  2. Shran

AC help

How much R12 do you have? If you have just enough to charge your AC then I would be hesitant to use it. What happens if you develop a small leak - then you'll be hunting for more R12. I second Walt's recommendations... you need to replace the receiver drier and for sure pull a vacuum on it...
  3. Shran

@Uncle Gump your expertise was very helpful... thank you. I think I have it fixed - I changed 3 things: #1, had the drum turned. The guy who turned it wasn't there when I picked it up but the other guy said they wouldn't have turned a new drum if there wasn't something wrong with it... so I'm...
  4. Shran

Man I don't THINK so... there is a very tiny amount of lateral play in the shaft but I compared it to a couple other axles in the pile and it's not really any different than those. I put a dial indicator on the shaft and let the truck run in gear with no drum - just to rule out a bent shaft -...
  5. Shran

Weird problem - I did a brake job on my '94 and it included new shoes, drums, hardware. The driver's side drum is getting pretty hot and the passenger side one is not - I drove it a few miles and checked it with an IR temp gun - it gets up to about 170 degrees and the passenger side one is at...
  6. Shran

Project #11 - new daily driver '94 Ranger

Not sure what the wheel bearing noise I thought I heard was. Maybe just tires/road noise and extra paranoia on my part. I tore both sides down, cleaned everything, repacked the bearings. The passenger side bearings show evidence of getting a bit warm but I’m gonna run em. More annoying is the...
  7. Shran

2.3L ('83-'97) Rebuilt engine has no power and stalls.

Does that truck have a MAP sensor or just MAF? I had one of those go bad on my dad's '92 and it would do weird things like that. Myself and a couple other people have had other issues with 2.3's, I never fixed mine and probably won't now but it seemed to be related to valve seats recessed into...
  8. Shran

Any idea what this is?

Some sort of flag pole maybe?
  9. Shran

New tools you've bought recently?

If you can do one really wide door or a couple of 12' doors, you will probably not regret it. 10' seems like enough but it's a little tight if I pull my F250 in. I can't go in at an angle like I can with my little trucks which is annoying. I went with two 10's to give me room to put my tools...
  10. Shran

Big Block Dodge

A 31 spline 8.8 is about on par with a Dana 44/maybe a Dana 50. Maybe about equal to a rear Dana 60 from a car application - ring gear on that is bigger but the axle shafts can be about the same size. It's probably one of the strongest small & lightweight axles that you can get in stock form...
  11. Shran

Big Block Dodge

I had a 440 in a '73 Dodge motorhome. Loved that engine! I totally support your swap idea. That F150 axle is not really ideal for your purposes. I'd either run an Explorer 8.8 - basically the same thing, just a few inches more narrow. Or anything that doesn't have C clips... a narrowed 9"...
  12. Shran

30x40 is a good size if you don't park anything in it. It also depends on which side the garage doors are on..... my shop is 30x40 with two 10' wide doors on the long side of the building. My F250 just barely fits. A bigger truck (dually, or crew cab long box) would not fit. Well, it would...
  13. Shran

Project #11 - new daily driver '94 Ranger

Since I can't leave things alone... 3.27 gears in this truck were a real bummer. I had a good pair of axles with 3.73's from a '94 B4000 that I crushed recently so yesterday I swapped both in. Finished at about midnight. Would have been done a lot earlier but my spare wheel cylinders were...
  14. Shran

Bench is back together, working on dust collection and finding places for a couple things that don’t fit under it anymore. Super happy with how it turned out.
  15. Shran

Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

Indian Head is awesome for cork, not really necessary for rubber and not needed at all for the Fel-pro perma-torque valve cover gaskets - FYI. Think Rusty is right about needing the AC bracket out of the way, my 2.9 doesn’t have AC so it’s a non issue for me.
  16. Shran

Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

The belts on your engine are tensioned by a nut that pushes against the power steering pulley bracket and a bolt on the other side that screws into the alternator. To loosen the belts you need to loosen those fasteners AND the bolts that the accessories pivot on.
  17. Shran

I mentioned earlier that I scored an old DeWalt radial arm saw & got it up and running. I've found that it's handy enough to justify keeping around but needed a better place to put it so I'm rebuilding one of the benches in my shed and it'll permanently reside there. The idea is to be able to...
  18. Shran

Distributor option

You can use your existing carburetor. Many people have done that, just takes a few modifications. Read here: https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/on-duraspark-conv-re-2150a-carb.149448/
  19. Shran

4.0 OHV top end redo

$29.21 for a quart that works vs $21 for three that might not? Not much difference there....reviews on the motorcraft stuff are pretty promising. Cooling system flush chemicals that actually work the first time are worth just about any price if you ask me.
  20. Shran

Trouble Removing Manual Transmission

Jack under the trans or t-case, jack upwards to take the pressure off the transmission crossmember, remove the transmission crossmember, then let the jack down which will lower the trans/t-case and tilt the engine backwards quite a bit. Then use a long extension and a 13mm swivel socket to get...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad