• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. DaveH

P1299 (cylinder Head overheat)

I'll check that tube next time I run the truck. Thanks much for your feedback!
  2. DaveH

My weakest DIY point is electrical. Just never had exposure to it. To answer your last question, I did flush the system. I drained, filled with distilled water, ran to temp, burped the system and drained again. Refilled with chemical engine flush and more distilled water ran to temp both...
  3. DaveH

thanks for your input. I'll try those checks. I did a flush of the system and the coolant that came out looked like fresh out of the bottle. I doubt the radiator or the engine are clogged. Fan clutch and sending unit up next. I truly think this is an electrical glitch as the last time it...
  4. DaveH

So all, this is getting curiouser and curiouser. I found the engine was down on oil so I filled, I went to get coolant for a flush and refill. I took the same hill at the same speed this time "watching" the gauge. Crazy gauge signal. Went from normal to HOT in 1/2 second. Like the needle...
  5. DaveH

Took it out yesterday and drove it below 3k and only occasionally over 3k, didn't overheat. So the symptom only occures at or near WOT. I think you may be right on this. Today I'll flush it.
  6. DaveH

Thanks for your input. NO AC in this old runabout but I'll check that radiator for sure. Thinking about a coolant flush tomorrow.
  7. DaveH

Great idea, I'll try running it (not too hard) and then use the IR to check temps at each runner.
  8. DaveH

Yep the ONE thing I didn't replace. May try a flush but the coolant in the reservoir looks as new as the day I put it in. The only other thing I can think of is I didn't replace the injectors. I did flush them but wonder if one or more injector is leaning out under heavy load...........
  9. DaveH

You know I thought about that, what if one or more cylinders are leaning out on those hard runs? In a year after the rebuild this has only happened 2 or three times. I obviously don't want it to happen again. I don't believe I put new O2 sensors in. Worth a gander.
  10. DaveH

On the last incident, I immediately pulled over to the side of the road and shut the truck off. I waited about 3 minutes and restarted. The engine temp gauge was back down to normal. I drove the truck home and it did not over heat again. The 2.5 seems to be pretty peppy but since I bought...
  11. DaveH

2005 Ranger rebuilt with 2.5 long block last year. Original cylinder head and Ecu. On a couple occasions at high rpm (3000+) the engine has spiked the temp gauge. On two previous occasions as soon as I dropped the rpm the temperature dropped to normal immediately. Ran several thousand miles...
  12. DaveH

2.3L ('02-'11) Diagnosing the Noise

I will try that tomorrow. Thanks for the thought.
  13. DaveH

2.3L ('02-'11) Diagnosing the Noise

Been awhile since I've been on the forum. My 05 ranger has run wonderfully since building the 2.5 block 2.3 head engine. I've had a noise that has increased over time since the build. It's a whine that comes on about 2000 rpm and will get louder to about 2200 rpm, 40 -45 mph. I can make the...
  14. DaveH

2.3L ('02-'11) PO300 code diagnosis

I pulled all plugs , looked perfect. Checked fuel pressure, 65 psi. Held fine after shut down. Did see the coil screws were not tight. Cleared the code and runs smooth as before. Will run to see if the code pops again.
  15. DaveH

2.3L ('02-'11) PO300 code diagnosis

2.5 engine block 2.3 head with OEM ECU for the 2.3. I built this engine about 3 months ago and have about 3K on it. When first built it ran with multiple misfire codes and replaced plugs, wires and OEM coil. It cleared the code problem for about 2500 miles. The PO300 code is back this...
  16. DaveH

Wanted Fuse cover in Gray

All I need is the little snap in cover. Happy to toss a few dollars your way for it.
  17. DaveH

Wanted Fuse cover in Gray

Looking for this cover, fitting 2005 Ranger XL
  18. DaveH

2.3L ('02-'11) Engine remove and build day 2--- 05 Ranger XL 2wdr DOHC 2.3 Auto no AC

I did everything bassackwards. LOL. I purchased a long 3'x1/4" x 2 1/2" x steel bar drilled it to match the flex plate holes back of the engine. Got it at the steel shop for about 10 bucks. I put short bolts through the bar into the holes and I hand turned the engine until the bar caught on...
  19. DaveH

Little odd misfire, 2005 2.3 head on 2.5 block

I've driven this Ranger for a few hundred miles after the rebuild. I was able to solve the slew of codes (previous posts) in one fell swoop when I found a transmission electrical connection was loose. Now the codes are gone and the truck is running there is an intermittent problem. For some...
  20. DaveH

2.3L ('02-'11) Crazy Idea??

Probably the best way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad