• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Alligator Wrangler

A P0172 SOHC mystery

Update - catalytic converters were replaced with magnaflow aftermarket cats, with resolution of the P0420 code. Downstream O2 sensors now hover at about 0.7 volts. I ordered the magaflow direct fit cat system, but it doesn't fit with the 4x4 manual (annoying.) Muffler shop was able to help...
  2. Alligator Wrangler

Timing chain guide debris in oil pan - no rattle

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the input! I'll keep her running.
  3. Alligator Wrangler

No, I bought it last October with 166k miles with no known service history (took a chance), and it's been nothing but trouble since. I suppose someone could have already worked on the timing chain - I did also find a piece of a paper towel in the oil pan (smh)
  4. Alligator Wrangler

Howdy TRS, I have another question. I have a 2005 4.0 V6 SOHC Ranger with 167K on it. I pulled the lower oil pan and found a couple small pieces of broken orange plastic - almost certainly from the infamous timing chain guide. Other than running a little lean, the engine runs well and there's no...
  5. Alligator Wrangler

4x4 Not Working - Question

Replacing the control module did not work - it's still the same situation: 4x4 icons light up during ignition, and nothing happens when the switch turns. I don't feel like meticulously going through the wiring to figure out what butchery the previous owners committed, so I'll probably take it to...
  6. Alligator Wrangler

That's awesome. Might have to do that someday.
  7. Alligator Wrangler

Thanks everyone. I ordered a new motorcraft control module and will update when I swap that in. If it seems to work, I'll most likely also get a new shift motor too to preempt any problems.
  8. Alligator Wrangler

Hello, TRS. I have a 2005 4x4 4.0 V6 Ranger with 167K miles, and I'm hoping someone can help me out with the 4x4. The 4wd selector switch is illuminated, but flipping it to 4Hi or 4Lo does nothing - there is no click or indicator light on the dash and 4wd does not engage. I tested the voltage on...
  9. Alligator Wrangler

A P0172 SOHC mystery

Hi @RonD thanks very much for another great reply. I looked at my live sensor data - yeah, both post-cat O2 sensors are fluctuating wildly between 0.1 and 0.8 V. Those are original sensors as far as I know. Do you think it's worthwhile to replace them or should I just look at getting new cats...
  10. Alligator Wrangler

Best Injector Brand

I don't have experience with Standard Motor, but I just installed GP Sorensen injectors in my 2005. They are made in the USA and are working well.
  11. Alligator Wrangler

A P0172 SOHC mystery

UPDATE: Overall apparent success. I pulled the intake manifold and replaced all the injectors. The injector seals and o-rings looked terrible and the engine head was covered in dirt. I cleaned everything and replaced the worst seals. While I was at it, I also swapped out the thermostat and its...
  12. Alligator Wrangler

A P0172 SOHC mystery

Howdy, RonD. Thank you for your great reply. I appreciate the welcome to TRS. Well I'll be. With the engine cold, she starts right up with the throttle open. She just cranks when already hot. I slapped some zip ties on my (loose) throttle cable and got the same result. I wasn't able to...
  13. Alligator Wrangler

A P0172 SOHC mystery

As an update, I just got an automotive stethoscope. All my injectors make a consistent clicking noise. So it's probably not them.
  14. Alligator Wrangler

A P0172 SOHC mystery

Hello, everyone. I'm new here, wondering if you can help me out with some truck troubles. I have a 2005 4x4 manual Ranger with the 4.0 V6 SOHC (166K miles). It seems to run all right but has had a P0172 code for the longest time. OBDII data shows that the long term fuel trim is extremely rich...
  15. Alligator Wrangler

Hello - New to forums

Howdy, everyone. Hope you're doing well. I have a 2005 manual 4x4 Ford Ranger with the 4.0 V6 SOHC that I had some questions about. I wanted to introduce myself - I'm from Florida hence the name. This website is great and I've learned a lot just from reading everyone's knowledgeable posts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad