• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. broke a tooth in my rear differential gear box

drove the truck around the block. no clunk, no weird noises. gonna do a 30mile drive, then a 120mile drive, then drive consider driving 500miles to socal :eeek: any weird driving motions i should do during the test trips? should i do like 30miles of stoplights? should i go get stuck in some mud?
  2. broke a tooth in my rear differential gear box

okay, the cross pin wont slide out. See attached pics, please. I pulled a cross pin from a 94 ranger at pick n pull this morning and the pin just slid out from the backside. Im guessing the ring gear is closer on my version of this transmission. Do I need to hit this with an angle grinder to...
  3. building a skatepark

so the past few winters i have been driving down to slab city to work on the skatepark while sleeping out the back of my truck. it has been interesting. there used to be a massive bar on site where i could charge my tools, store material, and persuade a number of barflies to help out for...
  4. broke a tooth in my rear differential gear box

yesterday i was working at pulling off a rear axle from a 96 ranger and noticed the internals looked like this, is this a limited slip differential? also intuition tells me that matching a 200kmi spider gear to a 300kmi differential is bound to have some mismatched wear patterns and i wonder...
  5. broke a tooth in my rear differential gear box

some pics: 1. tooth and spider gear wear 2. i thought i could wedge the tooth out against the ring gear but i dont want to damage the ring gear. 3. pinion gear has some damage, is that a significant amount? 4. visible metal shavings in my oil. significant amount? 5. time to change wheel seals...
  6. broke a tooth in my rear differential gear box

and removing the 'center pin' lets the axle shafts slide out, yes? I take it used spider gears would be fine autozone charges about $200 for a set of spider gears and a replacement axle is about $200
  7. broke a tooth in my rear differential gear box

does this involved messing with the drum brakes? im still trying to find a video on removing 'axles' (by 'axles', do you mean the shafts connected to the hubs inside of the axle?)
  8. broke a tooth in my rear differential gear box

Initially reading up on this, i was under impression that swapping gears inside the differential requires specific tools and precise measurements and not a job for a novice diyer - something about setting up proper 'backlash' and 'tooth engagement'. I recall reading that it is much easier to...
  9. broke a tooth in my rear differential gear box

messing with the drum brakes seems alittle beyond me. i noticed half the axles at pick n pull have a drum brake cover or two pulled off. any idea why?
  10. broke a tooth in my rear differential gear box

Any advice for picking up an axle with a good set of drum brakes? A used rear rear axle is only $35 more with the drum brakes and it seems like a PITA to swap out my current drum brakes onto a new axle. I havent really found any videos that showcase the process, it seems like it involves...
  11. broke a tooth in my rear differential gear box

another ranger with only 200kmi, looks like it sideswiped something but not very hard, you all dont think that could compromise the axle, do you?
  12. broke a tooth in my rear differential gear box

any idea why there is grease all over this connection that goes to an open hose? i saw other rangers with smaller pools of grease in the same area
  13. broke a tooth in my rear differential gear box

Wow, lots of replies in the last half hour. Check attached pic, lol. It looks like a tooth sheered off of the driver side 'differential side gear' and got wedged between 'carrier' and 'ring gear' I find it odd that as i spin the left wheel, i feel a lot of grinding resistance through 2/3 of the...
  14. broke a tooth in my rear differential gear box

Is there some specific reason to keep the wheels from rolling when the gear box is open and driveshaft disconnected, or just general rule of caution? I am going to look up some videos on rear diff inspection and go pull mine open. *edit* The videos i watched either say "check the gears for wear...
  15. broke a tooth in my rear differential gear box

sgtsandman, i jacked up the rear right wheel and spun the tire. it makes a thud/thump/(clunk) from the differential every 2-1/4 revolutions. I also felt a rough, area with a little resistance and a mild grinding noise at the same spot once every complete revolution ... Okay, now i just raised...
  16. broke a tooth in my rear differential gear box

I paint marked and disconnected the driveshaft bolts from the differential and played with the u-joints with my hands and they feel smooth and fine. should i try to pry at them with crowbar? is it now time to open up my rear differential? *Transmission fluid leaked from my transmission when i...
  17. broke a tooth in my rear differential gear box

dvdswan, do you think opening it up would tell me if there is damage inside? Perhaps there are more metal chunks that havent had time to catch the magnet? Is this also an opportunity to pull a rear LSD axle from an explorer 'sport'? I am under the impression these would be good for when i often...
  18. broke a tooth in my rear differential gear box

Okay, my memory was way off with 60 degrees... In 1st gear it barely wiggles. In neutral, the driveshaft rotates like 10-15deg. I dont know if that is normal. My buddy watched a video of it and said it looked pretty sloppy. ill see if i can post it here. I am going to go underneath and see if i...
  19. how to clean gummed up 12v cigarette lighter?

how do i clean up a gummed up or crusted up 12v cigarette lighter socket? my cigarette lighter is gummed up with hash. i believe that is causing resistance and extra heat when 12v devices are plugged into it . recently this port melted two of my higher draw cables. one cable was for a portable...
  20. broke a tooth in my rear differential gear box

*BUMP* My rear end started clunking last night. -When I accelerate in gear i hear a repetitive clunk, when i coast out of gear i hear a very loud repetitive clunk. -I checked under the vehicle and the drive shaft rocks back and fourth about 15 degrees of a rotation, and makes a loud clunk as it...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad