• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Finally found the 2000-3000 RPM power loss

So I finally found the cause of the power loss I'd posted about and thought I'd post the solution. Symptom- 92 Ranger 3.0, OBD1. The truck would act like it dropped cylinders right at 2000 rpm and they would kick in around 3000. Before it got this bad, it would buck and jump under a load going...
  2. Sluggish from 2k-3k RPM

Here's a video of the vacuum gauge- It does seem to build slowly as the rpm is increased. It seems odd that I have 21 at idle, 19 at 2000ish, but 20 or so everywhere else.
  3. Sluggish from 2k-3k RPM

Just came back in. I put the 02 sensors back in, took the intermediate pipe loose from the back of the cats. Took it for a test drive and the "miss" and power loss is immediately back with just the cats attached. Side note- Glad I didn't need to hear anything..... I've used a vacuum gauge on...
  4. Sluggish from 2k-3k RPM

Well, small update, took a different troubleshooting track. I pulled the 02 sensors out of the y pipe and took it for a short drive. No dead spot, leadong me to think some form of exhaust restriction. Wish I had a backpressure tester, but going to let it cool off, put the 02's back in, and I'll...
  5. Sluggish from 2k-3k RPM

Triple checked the firing order and made sure plug wires weren't twisted. Noticed what seemed like a bit of uneven fire on #2 at idle, but it seemed to go away on recheck. Took it for a drive and tried to hold a steady speed up hills. It feels like a subtle misfire or such as the truck near...
  6. Sluggish from 2k-3k RPM

Really good info Ron. I do have a data logger, but unfortunately this truck is OBD1, so no data that I know of. Would a '92 turn off the injectors for fuel economy? In any case, sounds like I can probably eliminate the TPS. When flooring it, there is a hesitation for 2-3 seconds, then it's...
  7. Sluggish from 2k-3k RPM

Probably will in the next few days. My gut wants to say fuel since it is a bogging under load, but if pressure is good and injectors are good, that should eliminate most of the fuel possibilities except for the injector control. The weird part is that flooring it suddenly will often get it to...
  8. Sluggish from 2k-3k RPM

Agreed on how you have to drive a 3.0. I've owned this truck since 1995 and my soon to be 16yo son has a 2000 Ranger 3.0 auto. That said, this is something def out of sorts that it didn't do a year ago.
  9. Sluggish from 2k-3k RPM

92 3.0 5spd. Engine is a '07 long block with the 92 bolt on, tin and electronics. Long block has ~125k on it. Runs great under no load. When driving, it often falls flat around 2k rpm and then it's like you added a cylinder or two as it hits around 3k. Pulls hard up to 2k falls flat, then...
  10. Brake pedal vibrating at a stop

After all this time, I finally found the source of the problem. After noticing that there was axle fluid leaking, I tracked it to the o-ring on the vss sensor. Didn't want to dig for a workable o-ring, so ordered another VSS. Installed it and bingo. Leak stopped and vibrating pedal/bouncing...
  11. Fuel pressure issue

You can say that again. I just found the receipt. I bought the new one July 2020.
  12. Fuel pressure issue

While I do still need to swap the fuel pump for what I think is a bad check valve, I believe I found the misfire problem. After checking the individual plug wires and the coil to distributor wire and seeing erratic fire in all, I used a 12v test light and probed the signal wire from the...
  13. Fuel pressure issue

On this one, the fuel lines come in on the driver side. One runs to the rail in front of the fpr.the other runs to a connector under the intake. The vinyl line from the fpr test into that connector. My assumption is the one in front of the fpr is the inlet. While something is wonky about the...
  14. Fuel pressure issue

This is the line I pinched off and it seemed to make no difference. If I pull the vacuum line, I get 40psi and no fuel in the vacuum line. At 30psi though, it sounds like it should still run ok, so maybe I'm overlooking something else.
  15. Fuel pressure issue

Thanks Ron. Here's my recheck with a fuel pressure gauge and a vacuum gauge both blipping the throttle and holding at a higher RPM for a bit. With the vacuum gauge, I get a pretty steady 20.5 and the needle seems to return quickly. https://youtube.com/shorts/ijYFkn4_xuk?feature=share I...
  16. Fuel pressure issue

I'll check the return line and double check the vacuum as well as the intake pathway. How does the MAF come into the equation? It is original 1992 issue.
  17. Fuel pressure issue

Maybe I have finally found the source of my '92 3.0 struggling under load. Truck starts and idles fine as well as rev with no load. On the road, it feels sluggish on takeoff or climbing hills and often feels like there is a miss/extra cylinder kicking in. It does feel better sometimes, but...
  18. Brake pedal vibrating at a stop

I noticed today after rebuilding the back brakes with new drums. Shoes, and hardware- this only happens under 5 or so mph and the speedo bounces at the same rythym. Seems like a signal issue. The only parts left to check seems to be the wiring connector on the vss and the tone ring.
  19. Brake pedal vibrating at a stop

And... a few days later it's back again. Is there a way to check the signal from the controller behind the radio to the solenoid and see if it is sending a signal causing the abs to kick in incorrectly? This seems to be a relatively simple system that shouldn't be that hard to fix. Esp. Since...
  20. Brake pedal vibrating at a stop

I thought about it for a minute, lol. Just part of working on these things. I just finished restoring my '92 that I've had for 27 years. This 2000 isn't going to beat me that easy. Just to update this story and add the fix for anyone who finds this searching for solution- Talked to Ford...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad