• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. gw33gp

Shop lift?

I had a third car garage added to my existing garage about 5 years ago. My intention was to install a lift. I had the roof built to allow a full lift if I decided to go that way. I had the concrete poured thicker in the center for a two-post lift. After much research I decided on a lift that...
  2. gw33gp

1990 2.3l 5 speed 4x4 trans swap to M50d-r1 hd

I think the HD version was intended for the 4.0 SOHC engine and has slightly different gear ratios (taller low gears). It is also my understanding that the HD version has an upgrade to the 5th gear oiling mechanism to improve lubrication to 5th gear.
  3. gw33gp

Spark plug gapping - How it affects timing - How to gap when burning oil

Spark plug gap should not affect the timing. I don't see how a larger gap would advance timing. A larger gap would require more energy to create the spark, so if anything I think it would have a tendency to retard the timing but not easily measurable. Over my many years of racing I learned...
  4. gw33gp

02 FX4 twin stick version.

It sounds like your low range sensor is getting stuck. I don't know where it is but I do know it changes the speedometer. I think that is its only function other than lighting up the low 4WD light. I am pretty sure the anti brake strategy changes when in 4WD but I doubt that changes when in...
  5. gw33gp

There is one thing you should learn about a manual transfer case. Don't try to force it into 4WD. Sometimes the gears don't line up when shifting into 4WD. It is best to put low pressure on the lever and keep moving until it drops into 4WD (just make sure the rear wheels are rotating the...
  6. gw33gp

I was informed a few years ago that the term twin sticks is typically used for trucks with dual transfer cases. I still refer to mine as twin stick occasionally though. Mileage at 197,000 seems mighty low to rebuild that transmission. I had mine done at around 240,000 miles and am sorry I did...
  7. gw33gp

I ran over a water pipe and now truck wont start.

Congratulations!
  8. gw33gp

Home made seal driver for passenger-side front axle tube seal

I love ingenuity like that. I personally make a lot of tools myself but usually out of aluminum. Having access to a full machine shop is handy.
  9. gw33gp

Code P1270

Well, I drove three more days and the P1270 code would not clear itself. With not much time before I had to have smog test, I cleared it. Of course the P1000 code came back. I did the drive cycle and tried to follow it exactly as much as I could in SoCal traffic. It did not clear, which is...
  10. gw33gp

Haggling on new Rangers

Yes, I have to agree with all of you. I have seen some dealers that are marking up the prices by adding a few options and over charging for it. I am highly considering forgetting about getting a new Ranger for the time being. My 02 Ranger is running so well now that I don't need a new...
  11. gw33gp

Code P1270

That sounds like a reasonable conclusion. I have read elsewhere that it has cleared on its own for some, but agree it probably won't. I was hoping it is true. I agree I will and probably end up clearing and doing the drive cycle(s) again. The Ford manual for technicians just says to tell...
  12. gw33gp

Code P1270

I know what P1270 means and I know how I got it. What I don't know is if it will clear itself in time. I know I could clear it but that would leave it with a P1000 code which is difficult to clear. I just went through having to clear a P1000 code after to installing a DPFE sensor. It seems...
  13. gw33gp

Axel Limiting Straps on a Ranger?

I race an Austin Healey Mk II Sprite. It has a kind of fabric limiting strap. The reason it has one is because the driveshaft runs through a tunnel and if the axle flexes down too far the driveshaft will hit the bottom of the tunnel and and damage the driveshaft. The MGB is just an over-grown...
  14. gw33gp

How do you heat your garage come winter time?

Yes, the boiling point of propane is around -42 at atmospheric pressure. So, it will remain liquid at -47 and will not boil. It will have low vapor pressure, but it will evaporate.
  15. gw33gp

Haggling on new Rangers

It appears most purchases on new Ranger are done by ordering them. Does this mean haggling is not part of the purchase of a new vehicle these days? Or are there still dealers that will negotiate price on a Ranger order?
  16. gw33gp

How do you heat your garage come winter time?

Expansion of propane also cools it more than it already is. A small tank may get cold enough that the vapor pressure drops considerably. My garage heats up nicely by just opening the garage door. It faces South and the Sun does a great job of warming a not so cold garage.
  17. gw33gp

Has anyone replaced the timing chain tensioners?

I changed the first one at 100K miles and the second one at 250K miles. I always use OEM parts when I can, and OEM tensioners were available. Both times the old tensioner were still good.
  18. gw33gp

Cna you put the rear LSD into the front?

Yes, keep the Torsen. A Trac-Lok would be a step down. I liked my stock Torsen so much that I also installed one in the front. The front Torsen is not always available, but it works very well. Lockers have too many quirks to deal with in my opinion. Good LSDs like Torsen or Truetrac come...
  19. gw33gp

Off-road drivetrain issue.

I am very familiar with what you are saying. I know it is not obvious but I have been doing this stuff since 1977. That does not make me an expert, but some things do soak into my thick head over time. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your advice because I never know when I can learn...
  20. gw33gp

Cna you put the rear LSD into the front?

I don't think there are any selectable lockers for the front of a 2006 Ranger. I did a very thorough search for one before I went with the front Torsen. The only thing I could find that might work was from Yukon. It would have required some modification to both their kit and the cross frame...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad