• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. JoshT

85 A4LD Neutral Safety Switch

Where exactly is it located on the transmission? Near the shift lever? Do I need special tools to remove and install? Hanes manual mentiona a Ford tool, but doesn't give a good picture of location. 4 pin or 5 pin switch? When I look it up on parts sites, both are listed. Is there an easy way...
  2. JoshT

2.3L ('83-'97) No crank with key, starter works, solenoid good

I got the timing components reinstalled on my project yesterday. Borrowed the battery from my F-100 to test it out. 1985 Ranger 2.3L A4LD 2wd. Just a reminder, there was no before to compare it to, I bought it with the engine in pieces. Transmission in Park, foot on brake (shouldn't matter)...
  3. JoshT

How bad is a floor pan replacement?

Well I got bit by rust again. I called myself checking out my new project truck when I went and checked it out. Main thing I was concerned with was rust and wiring in the cab, since that was the main bits I was planning to use if the truck. Well apparently I did a poor job of looking or I never...
  4. JoshT

Help quick 2.3l alternator

I know this is a wrong section, but I need some help quick and figure it'll get seen quicker here. 1985 Ranger 2.3 alternator bolt spacing what is it? That is the mounting bolts. 7 inch or 8.125 inch? 1983-1991 2.0L and 2.3L should all be the same. Might get to go junkyard hunting in the...
  5. JoshT

2.3L ('83-'97) Question about alternator and misc hardware

As you may have heard my 85 Ranger 2.3L came missing a few parts. Among those would be Alternator, Power Steering pump, and associated brackets and hardware. I have the assorted brackets on the way. I'll rob the power steering pump from the wrecked 84 Ranger 2.8, it uses the same pump mounted...
  6. JoshT

axle pinion/companion flanges?

I got the best driveshaft I could for my 85 Ranger. It's from a 90 Ranger. The flange on the axle increased in diameter for the 90 models. Don't have measurements available, but the pattern on the new driveshaft is as large or larger than the whole flange on the 85 axle. Long term plan is to...
  7. JoshT

What master cylinder and booster to use with upgrade

85 Ranger 2wd 2.3L auto When I lower the truck it's getting as brake upgrade. Either getting Sport Trac calipers, or SN95 Mustang calipers in the front, and Explorer discs in the rear. I know it's overkill for the 2.3, but I've got parts for those with the 95-97 spindles and DJM beams, I don't...
  8. JoshT

2.3L ('83-'97) Axle ratio

So I'm going to be changing the rear end in this '85 I pick-up to one of the two 8.8"s I have. This is happening for reasons other than gears, but will result in different gears. Truck is '85 Ranger 2wd with 2.3L, A4LD, and 7.5" axle with 4.10 gears. One axle is 3.55 the other is 3.73. The...
  9. JoshT

Found! 1985 2.3L alternator and power steering brackets, pullies, and hardware

I need alternator bracket and power steering bracket for the 2.3L in my new 1985 Ranger. If you can spare it I need the bracket mounting hardware as well as the alternator and pump mounting hardware. From what I understand these brackets can come from a 1983-1987 2.0L or 2.3L gas engine Ranger...
  10. JoshT

2.3L ('83-'97) How much is missing from this 2.3L?

A precious owner of the 85 2.3 I picked up this past weekend had started to "fix" the engine. Started taking it apart, decided he didn't want it and the guy I got it from saved it from being scrapped. I don't have a good story on what is wrong with it, and I didn't care or look close at the time...
  11. JoshT

Tonneau covers for an 83-92

I like having a tonneau cover on my trucks. Sometimes they get in the way, but usually my bed is empty or what's in it will fit below the cover. Keeps an honest person honest, and things hidden from nosy eyes. I bought a used CheckerPro Checkmate FX tonneau years ago when I was going to build...
  12. JoshT

8.8 in a first gen 2.3L

I mentioned this in my driveshaft post in the General Discussion forum, but I wanted to ask here as well since it's axle related. I read something in the tech library about pre 1990 driveshafts not working with the Explorer 8.8" axle. I would assume that applies to any 8.8" axle since the...
  13. JoshT

I need a driveshaft for an '85 Ranger 2.3L, what fits?

I'm thinking about getting the 85 Ranger I picked up this weekend running so I can drive it until I get around to the V8 swap. I have the engine and most of the parts, but given life, work, and school, I don't know how long it'll be before I can get to the engine swap. If I can get the thing...
  14. JoshT

2wd long bed vs short bed, how do they differ driving?

Since I bought the 85 long bed yesterday, I'm at an impasse on how to build my truck. I've got to decide on long bed vs short bed for my build and I don't have enough experience to make it an easy decision. Thanks to the previous attempt at this project with an 86 regular cab short bed, I have...
  15. JoshT

Any one done dual tanks with an EFI V8

The 85 Ranger I just picked up for a cab swap on my V8 project, may just become the recepient of the V8 swap instead. Was going to build an 86 SWB street truck, but for reasons I needed/wanted to replace the cab. Bought this 85 Long Bed today with the intent of dropping the cab over the 86 frame...
  16. JoshT

1985 Ranger - Project "Chance"

That is a "another chance", a "second chance", or maybe a "last chance". Hell it might be all three. So my first ride was a 1984 Ranger long bed that was my dad's when I was little, before getting passed around the family. Got passed to me by my grandmother when I was 15, some time in...
  17. JoshT

Explorer V8 to I-beam power steering box?

I know what the swap thread in the suggests, just wondering if anyone has figured out a better or off the shelf, bolt-together solution for this. Putting a '98 Explorer 5.0L into '86 Ranger 2WD. I definitely want to use the Explorer accessory drive and power steering pump. Not going to do any...
  18. JoshT

Transmission Controller?

I've got an idea for future a project. I have the engine part figured out thanks to the modded 2.8L from the totaled Ranger in my signature, but I still need to figure out the transmission. I want to run an electronically controlled automatic transmission and set it up with paddle (or push...
  19. JoshT

Posting in wrong places

I know this isn't really a site problem, but I do see it as being a problem on the site. Might be better suited to general discussion, but I feel it would just set someone off if I posted in there. Might not be quite as likely if I do so here. I've gotta ask what happened to the organization...
  20. JoshT

Found! 68-79 F-100/150 4x4 coil spring towers

HELP! I need a set of front spring towers for a 68-79 F-100/150 4x4. 68-72 would be preferred, but I think I can make the 73-79 towers work as well with a little work. This isn't for a Ranger, it's for my 68 F-100, but I know a lot of people used these parts for SAS swaps in the past. My...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad