• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. coolant overpressurization, replaced parts, glove test

Hello I'm in a bit of a pickle. The heads on my '90 2.9 were magnaflux tested and had the gaskets replaced this past spring. Shortly after, I replaced the radiator with the 4.0 automatic a/c giant out from the explorer, and a new 13lb motorad cap. Never gets hot, in fact it would typically run...
  2. cross country adventure, cut short by the FM gearbox

*This isn't too much of an 'asking for help' thread, as I plan to simply replace the fm146 with an m5od, but I figured I'd share the story* several months ago I bought a sight-unseen 88(listed as 87) 4x4 5 speed 2.9l it was lacking the dash/interior, no exhaust after the manifolds, hood was...
  3. '86 vs '88 oil gauge

Hello folks I've been reading about the ""options"" or sensors or senders with an idiot light for a gauge. I just swapped a whole cluster from an 86 2.9 xlt into a late 87(88 model year) 2.9 XL. The rest of the instrumentation seems to work normally, but when running the oil gauge is resting...
  4. Wanted dana 35 ttb 4.10 gears

need 4.10 gears for the dana 35 ttb have an explorer rear already, just need the front I'm in southwest Montana. thanks
  5. 4.0 block/spacer/seperator/starter index plate

hello folks. In my '99 2.9, po swapped in a m5od-r1 from a 4.0. I'm about to do the slave/throw-out and put in a new 4.0 clutch, etc. while I'm there. I have seen reference to this dozens of times on the forums, and yet I'm still not entirely clear. assuming the plate is still 2.9(which...
  6. Am I getting had by alignment shop?

I just put a skyjacker lift in my 90 4x4, so I took it to the local off road shop to get alignment done. I brought them the adjustable camber bushings and drop pitman arm(I had loosened everything up but my cheap puller tool was bending, so I brought it in). They told me $125 flat for alignment...
  7. 1st gen exhaust interchange

picked up another ranger (#4 now). '88, single cab, 2.9, 4x4, fm146 has no exhaust behind the manifolds my dad still has a dead not worth fixing '86, super cab, 2.9, 2wd, fm145 parts numbers tell me the y pipe and cat are different. is it just o2 sensor stuff, or can I swap them over? emissions...
  8. obd1 reads 4cyl instead of 6cyl [also code 41]

Howdy I've been fixing up this recently purchased (abused) '90 2.9 5spd 4x4 //Context: There was a pretty significantly blown headgasket around #6, replaced both at my friend's shop, runs well now except for occasionally wanting to stall when throttle is applied from a stop on a cold engine...
  9. suspension refresh without going much taller

Hi folks, my '90 single cab 4x4 is about 2"+ taller on the right than it is on the left. I understand this is fairly typical for them to "lean", but it looks real bad from the back. perhaps unrelated, but my steering wheel is also about 30 degrees counter-clockwise when going straight, and the...
  10. Wanted 1990 sliding rear window trim/latch

Hi folks, I'm working on bringing a 1990 4x4 std cab xlt back to daily driver life. It's missing the black trim piece that latches and closes the gap on the back window. If anyone has one I could buy, or knows where it can be found, please let me know. We don't have much for junk yards up...
  11. modern day cost:benefit for the white smoke

Hey folks, I'm going to ask about something that has been covered in the past, on purpose. I've been reading (actually for a while) the tech articles and such on cracked and how the 2.9 wont make power (and those who argue it). Into the meat: I recently purchased for 500 dollars a '90 5speed...
  12. keep coming back to old rangers

Howdy I'm Martin, I've had a few of these 1st gens now over the years. Ranger 1: My dad had (actually still has) an 85ish extra cab XLT with a 2.7 iirc, manual transmission. That and a Mazda MPV were the first vehicles I was aware of in my childhood. I still remember riding home from baseball...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad